2004 - 2008 F-150

Quick question about OEM fender flares

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question about OEM fender flares

i've had my new rims/tires on for a few months now, and cleaning spray off of the side of the truck is getting to be a pain in my butt. i have an XLT, so i dont have any fender flares stock. my question is, how far do the OEM flares come out off the fender? i only need about 1/4 - 1/2 inch to keep the spray down... and im hoping the factory flares will give me that much. the lariat ones are the ones i'm looking for, so i can PTM, correct?

Old 02-06-2006, 09:32 PM
about 1\2 an inch

Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Yea, the Lariat flares should do what you want. FYI it'll probably run you around $500 for this. I think the flares themselves are around 70 bucks a piece then to have them sprayed will probably run around 50 a piece. I had checked into this a while back and after getting the price's decided it could wait.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by ziggaboo
i've had my new rims/tires on for a few months now, and cleaning spray off of the side of the truck is getting to be a pain in my butt. i have an XLT, so i dont have any fender flares stock. my question is, how far do the OEM flares come out off the fender? i only need about 1/4 - 1/2 inch to keep the spray down... and im hoping the factory flares will give me that much. the lariat ones are the ones i'm looking for, so i can PTM, correct?
You do realize that OEM flares are held on by holes along the outside of the fender lip? IF you install OEM Lariat flares you could be in for a lot drilling (unless someone has figured a non-factory way of mounting them).

Old 02-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Mounting the flares is an easy process with two people. I did have to drill into my fender lip, but not into the outsides of the fenders. I just made sure that my holes were drilled a little further inwards to make the entire flare fit real snug and my push pins were set tight. Before you start just remove all the pins that mount in the side of the fender while marking your holes to make sure you have a nice tight fit and mark, then drill. Worst case if you mess up, is purchase some Bushwackers . Mine are factory FX4 flares BTW.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:42 AM
ram, i do realize this. the only thing i dont get is how the top edge stays flush... if its mounted in the fender well then theres nothing holding it up top maybe double sided tape?

Old 02-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by ziggaboo
ram, i do realize this. the only thing i dont get is how the top edge stays flush... if its mounted in the fender well then theres nothing holding it up top maybe double sided tape?
The factory flares fit very well to the body line. I did not have to use top mounts since I drilled my holes to make the flare sit very snug to the body. The factory flare is very rigid, so it is not going to 'flap down'. There is not a good lip in my opinion to attach tape to. I have a couple of spots towards the lower ends of the flares against the rockers that have a slight gap (maybe 1/16 to 1/32 of an inch nothing noticable), but overall fit and finish, and not having to drill holes in the out side body, I rate this an 8 out of 10. I did this mod only with knowing my future plans of running a wider wheel with the pocket style flares. I just really like the looks of flares.

Quick Reply: Quick question about OEM fender flares