2004 - 2008 F-150

new double din hu's are out, anyone install one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuff4rd
I wonder what that USB port is all about?

I was guessing. I think it will be for thumbdrives with MP3's or possibly more. The Ipod interface is seperate from that, so I hope that has a rear input. Either way the more I look at it, the more I want it

Old 03-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Installed the 301 a few weeks ago:

So far, I pretty happy with it. Kinda wish I would have gone with the 501, to get the blue lighting, but they weren't available at the time I ordered.

This is my first Kenwood, so some of you might already be used to this, but the most impressive feature to me is the amount of adjustment this thing has. All input sources have independant bass, mid, treb, and volume offset controls, plus independant front, rear, and sub crossover points. There's also an option to completely turn off the internal amp, if running on all pre-outs.

It has a built in AUX input (set of RCA's), which I was running my iPod through for a week or so until my Kenwood iPod adaptor arrived. The adaptor required is Kenwood's standard KCA-iP500, and it plugs into the CD changer DIN plug on the back. (It runs independant of the AUX in, so you end up with both an AUX and External Media source.) After installing the adaptor, I have to say that it's the only way to do it right. There's no comparison between the headphone jack to AUX, and the adaptor connected direct.

The 301 doesn't have the USB input, but as I understand it, the USB is for running a flash drive with MP3s. The head unit just treats it as another source.

Bought both through Crutchfield. Head unit was $249.99 shipped, including the mount kit and wiring harness. The KCA-iP500 iPod adaptor runs another $100 or so.

I'll have to admit, I was a little skeptical about the looks at first as well, but once it was installed, it's really not a bad looking unit. For those of us without the bankroll to support an LCD DVD player, these are a good option.

E...

Old 03-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by ericd
Installed the 301 a few weeks ago:

So far, I pretty happy with it. Kinda wish I would have gone with the 501, to get the blue lighting, but they weren't available at the time I ordered.

This is my first Kenwood, so some of you might already be used to this, but the most impressive feature to me is the amount of adjustment this thing has. All input sources have independant bass, mid, treb, and volume offset controls, plus independant front, rear, and sub crossover points. There's also an option to completely turn off the internal amp, if running on all pre-outs.

It has a built in AUX input (set of RCA's), which I was running my iPod through for a week or so until my Kenwood iPod adaptor arrived. The adaptor required is Kenwood's standard KCA-iP500, and it plugs into the CD changer DIN plug on the back. (It runs independant of the AUX in, so you end up with both an AUX and External Media source.) After installing the adaptor, I have to say that it's the only way to do it right. There's no comparison between the headphone jack to AUX, and the adaptor connected direct.

The 301 doesn't have the USB input, but as I understand it, the USB is for running a flash drive with MP3s. The head unit just treats it as another source.

Bought both through Crutchfield. Head unit was $249.99 shipped, including the mount kit and wiring harness. The KCA-iP500 iPod adaptor runs another $100 or so.

I'll have to admit, I was a little skeptical about the looks at first as well, but once it was installed, it's really not a bad looking unit. For those of us without the bankroll to support an LCD DVD player, these are a good option.

E...
Looks nice man Good price too for that unit!

Old 03-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Some may say they like it,some may not but regardless I think it is better then the stock HU. Get you some

Old 03-12-2006, 10:38 AM
do you have sirius hooked up?? can you show more pics of the display...

Old 03-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Old 03-13-2006, 12:11 AM
I am thinking about getting the 501 when its avail. It says they are sirius ready, but I'm a fan of xm. Is there a way to run xm through the unit or will i just have to keep my xm commander and run it in to the aux inputs?

Old 03-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Airtran
I am thinking about getting the 501 when its avail. It says they are sirius ready, but I'm a fan of xm. Is there a way to run xm through the unit or will i just have to keep my xm commander and run it in to the aux inputs?
I'm with you on this one. I'll wait on the 501 or 701.

Don't know about the sat radio though.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Airtran
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gy4zfH5...m&i=700XMKENWO

Not a bad deal with the rebate they're offering...

E...

Old 03-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Has anyone seen the 501 in stock somewhere?

Old 03-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by klassic
Sorry fellas, to each his own I guess.
That is the ugliest radio I've ever seen
Same here klassic, great way to wreck the look of your dash.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I understand what you mean by double DIN filling the entire space, but what the he|| does DIN stand for? I know, a stupid question, but I'm not an audio expert. Thanks!

BTW, sweet setup!

Old 03-21-2006, 12:24 AM
This was taken from a guy named Mike Atwood on V8Buick.com...
DIN stands for Deutsche Industrie Norm. Translated meaning German Industry Standard. It can mean connectors or installation dimensions as well now. Anything that is a "standard" size.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by candrusiak
Same here klassic, great way to wreck the look of your dash.
I got to agree. I like the look of the flat screen type of units myself with navagation.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Has there been a flat screen one to come out with integrated bluetooth yet? That is what I'm waiting on. Flat screen nav, bluetooth, RDS. That's my list.

Duke

Quick Reply: new double din hu's are out, anyone install one?