2004 - 2008 F-150

High Pitched Whistle Coming from Engine in Cold Weather?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My ranger did this as does my f-150, I just ignore it, when somethin breaks ill fix it

Old 12-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 incessant engine whine whenever giving gas any speed.

I agree. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. I've lived with the horrid '04 engine whine for close to two years now, if not longer. I can hold out until the 2009's release.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Mine does it also. It did it with the stock intake and now it does it with my AF1. Whistle goes as soon as you let off the gas.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Im having the same issue but only when I turn the heat on. If I turn it off I dont hear it. Now that its cold here in NYC I just noticed it b/c I need the heat on. Im going to call my dealer now and see what they say. JFYI I have a 07 FX2 Scew. Anybody else with an 07 experience this?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
Im having the same issue but only when I turn the heat on. If I turn it off I dont hear it. Now that its cold here in NYC I just noticed it b/c I need the heat on. Im going to call my dealer now and see what they say. JFYI I have a 07 FX2 Scew. Anybody else with an 07 experience this?
Mine is an '04, but about 2 years ago I started getting a noise from my heater while in operation also. But it sounds very much like a hair or something caught in the fan creating the noise, so I don't fault Ford for that, just a freak kind of thing I suppose. How it got in there and caught like that, who knows.

But the engine whine is awful , no matter the speed, as long as you are giving it gas it whines. I hate it, and I hope I can afford an '09 so i don't have to listen to it anymore.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:35 AM
Guys, it's more than likely your alternator whining. These alts have a high pitch whine when it gets cold out.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by xlint1
Guys, it's more than likely your alternator whining. These alts have a high pitch whine when it gets cold out.
I was gone to say the same thing ive had it for 3 weeks now and finally pin pointed it to the alternator .Only when 20 or so degrees out or colder itll do it.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xlint1
So am I safe to assume it's harmless?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by birdshooter
So am I safe to assume it's harmless?
No idea what it does to the alt internally but I don't think it's a huge problem.

Ford knows of the problem and they're replacing them as people come in. No idea if they'll replace it for free if you're out of warranty or if it's considered powertrain.

My new alt only does it if I start driving before the truck warms up and it's below 10 degress. Once the truck warms up to normal operating temp it's fine.

Duke

Old 12-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My new alt only does it if I start driving before the truck warms up and it's below 10 degress
Same hear. Once the truck warms up it disappears. Sounds like the replacement Alt isn't accomplishing much from what you described. I've had this problem for almost 2 years and it doesn't seem to affecting anything, except that it drives me nuts for a short time.

Last edited by birdshooter; 12-14-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:50 AM
High Pitch Whistle

Have had the whistle on cold weather start-up from time to time over the past 3 winters and it has always gone away after a few minutes. But yesterday was a different set of conditions and it lasted 10 t0 15 minutes, conditions were:
65-70 mph highway
+16 - 17 degrees F
floor heat vent only, no defrost so compressor should not have been on
had been driving for 1 hour so truck was warm
stock intake
stronger on right side - is alternator on the right?
Packer game was on and that whistle was getting me PO - around here no intrerruptions are tolerated when the Packers are playing.
went away when temp was at 18

Seems like some have good results with alterantor replacement - but not everybody. Is this the real fix? I am on extended warranty w/$100 decuctable so I am not looking to spend my $$ and my time trying to educate my dealer unless I am sure the alternator is the real fix.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:44 PM
'nuther whistle story

Ok guys,
It doesn't sound if anyone has found a definite fix but I'll toss my experience into the ring to see if it gives anyone an idea.
Mine in my '06 5.4 definitely is cold weather related. It has only occurred three very annoying times and all three times it was less than 10 degrees outside.
Once, it occurred about 5 minutes after I had left a heated garage so the truck itself wasn't particularly cold. The other two times it had been sitting out for about an hour 1/2.
It does not sound anything like a belt, bearing or clutch surface, very much like an air leak or such.
Turning the heat/AC to various settings and completely off made no difference.
Sound appears to be coming from drivers side.
I have an AirRaid Jr. but it appears that others with stock intakes have the same issue and I can't see anything with this intake that would cause it.
The sound can come while idling down the road or when my foot is completely off the gas but it does seem to let up or change tone when I mash on the loud pedal.

If anyone has found the magic formula to make it go away, please post it!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Well, It hasn't been fixed for the '08's. Our temps have been close to 0 the last few days and my new 08 whistles just as described on the above posts. It only lasts a few minutes while warming up but it's kind of embarrassing at the looks the truck gets from people driving by. I'm going to tell the dealer about this next time I take my truck in. It will be interesting to hear what they say. My previous truck ('06 F-150) only whistled a couple of times and that was in below 0 temps. This one will do it at any temp under 25.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Sounds like the alternator pulley. I get this briefly at startup, only when it is cold, less than 20 degrees. Fortunately it goes away after a few seconds. This is the third winter now and it is about the same. As long as it goes away after a few seconds and only happens in the real cold weather, I will live with it.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Interesting news from my dealer - whom I happen to trust. When I described my syptoms, the big question they had for me was, "Does the noise stop when the truck gets up to operating temperature?" In my case, the answer was that it does not. They then told me that the official word from Ford is that if it does stop when up to operating temperature, it's the alternator. If it does not, it's in the intake and there is no known fix - yet. Once again, it sucks to be me. Oddly enough, the temperature cracked 40 F yesterday and the noise was gone.

So is it safe to assume that those people who replaced the intake and said that it didn't help needed an alternator? my whistle does not stop after the truck is warmed up. made a 4 hour round trip yesterday and it was off and on the entire trip. i'd just like to know before i spend $300 on an aftermaket intake if it's going to help or not. thanks.

Quick Reply: High Pitched Whistle Coming from Engine in Cold Weather?