2004 - 2008 F-150

High Pitched Whistle Coming from Engine in Cold Weather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had similar issue a few years ago. Did exactly the same thing, for weeks.

Finally, I took a large paper cup, knocked the bottom out, and used it like an ear piece. Just held to my ear and moved around the engine, while it whistled, until I roughly pinpointed the area. Then I just started tightening all bolts, clamps, etc. Also wiggled the vaccum lines.

It ended up being an intake bolt. Not sure if it was due to blown out/sucked in gasket or what, but temporary fix was a dab of rtv under the bolt shoulder until I had time to pull the intake.

Dave

Old 01-27-2008, 09:49 AM
when it'z cold

Originally Posted by Michael Joseph
I had the the same whistle when temps dropped below freezing and the truck sat. The dealer finally changed the clutch fan and it helped in that the whistle only lasted a few seconds as opposed to a few minutes(until till the truck got some temp in it). I have since put on e-fans and have not had the problem for the past 2 winters.
my 2004 did the same thing but only on cold morning's. once the dealer changed my clutch fan it never did it again other than for a second or two. i am a firm believer that these whistling problems come from the fan clutches. soon as my truck was relatively warm the whistle stopped.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 AM
For the guys who have had their alts replace can you please provide the dealer information. I would like to take mine to the dealer but they have no idea what is going on. I would like for them to be able to call other dealers just in case they need assistance. Thanks

Old 01-30-2008, 12:39 AM
my alterator is doing the same thing. i used the chassis ears right on the alternator this morning and drove it and it DEFINATLY the alternator..if your dealer doesnt belive you tell them to do this!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 PM
mine does the same thing but when i push on the accelerator it gets louder... could this be a surpintine belt or something?

Old 02-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Mine squeals in cold weather, and only around 95km/h (60mph). RPM's don't seem to affect mine, if I'm going up a hill in 3rd (high RPM's), or going down a hill in overdrive (low RPM's), it will do it regardless around 95km/h (in frigid weather).

At first I thought that maybe my Super-Human Ears could detect my Deer Whistles at the frequency created at 95km/h... I highly doubt that...

Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealer told me that it was a throttle body that was making the high pitched whistle.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Just got back from my dealer after an oil change and talked to the shop forearm who also said it's the alternator. .

Old 02-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by birdshooter
My dealer told me that it was a throttle body that was making the high pitched whistle.
Mine make this dear whistle sound to at about 45 to 55 mph on really cold mornings (10dgs) Replaced my throttle body ($500) and it still dose it???? So what did your dealer say to do?/

Old 02-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I rather doubt the throttle body itself is/was the problem, unless cracked.

To get a high pitched whistle, you need high speed air flow, at nearly a right angle to the leaking part or fitting. More likely a leaking gasket or possibly a cracked air fitting.

Really hard to find it unless the general area is isolated/pinpointed. I mentioned earlier about a large paper cup with the bottom knocked out, used like a hearing aid to at least get the general proximity figured out, then see what's in that small area of the engine. A little low tech, but it works.

Dave

Old 02-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Just got a flyer from my local dealer with service and carryover specials. They have a little "Ask -insert some ford mechanic's name here" section. The question was from a guy asking about the high pitched whistle coming from his 2005 on cold days. His answer...replace your alternator. Not sure if this is some sort of newsletter that only this dealer put out, but it sure looked like it was some sort of corporate thing that was just customized for your local dealer.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Herd

This whole "whistle" thing gets better and better with every response !

It's always been my experience (40 years) that whistling of any intensity was airflow related.

It's a different issue entirely if the noises are "high pitched squealing or whining" rather than "whistling". They would seem to indicate a mechanical issue like faulty bearings.

It'll be interesting to see exactly how this plays out. I'd sure like to check one of these problem trucks out. Some are only when cold, some are at specific speed/RPM levels, and I think there was one that was pretty much all the time. So there seems to not be a lot in common.

Maybe Jbrew can shed some light on a theory ?

Dave

Old 02-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Davemg
Herd

This whole "whistle" thing gets better and better with every response !

It's always been my experience (40 years) that whistling of any intensity was airflow related.

It's a different issue entirely if the noises are "high pitched squealing or whining" rather than "whistling". They would seem to indicate a mechanical issue like faulty bearings.

It'll be interesting to see exactly how this plays out. I'd sure like to check one of these problem trucks out. Some are only when cold, some are at specific speed/RPM levels, and I think there was one that was pretty much all the time. So there seems to not be a lot in common.

Maybe Jbrew can shed some light on a theory ?

Dave
My son and i have the same year trucks They are twins Same color,options When it gets below zero we both get the whistling under the hood I Would be doing about 30 mph with my foot on the peddle and it would start to whistle I would lay off the the peddle for a second and the whistle would go away never to return This only happens to us when it is below zero I must agree with you DAVE its airflow related

Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Mine is a constant whine from the engine when I am giving it gas, whether it be 1mph or 50mph, doesn't matter the speed. When I let off the gas, the whine goes away in less than a second. If the truck is moving without me giving it gas, there is no whine. So it is something that happens when gas is flowing to the engine. Who knows what it is. Been going on for probably 2 years or more now.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Russ04

Have repaired some engines with similar problem to yours. Ordinarily, such things as gaskets are typically installed dry, maybe with some sealer around water ports. But, I've found/suspected that minute amounts of warpage in heads, maifolds ( exhaust and intake ), have been noticeable only until engine heat reaches the affected part, expanding the gasket material just enough to stop the noise. Process repeats when overnight cold, then started.

Have solved some issues with gasket shellac or similar product. Seems the farther from the head (s), the longer this seems to take to heal itself.

Reusing bolts in some cases that are meant to be tossed can also lead to air and fluid leaks because they fail to retain torque.

I certainly am no expert, but, because of previous racing endeavors, I just get asked to help I guess.

Dave

P.S.- I'd have to say, that looking back on whistling issues, more than half the short duration ( but every cold start ) problems were exhaust gasket related, maybe because this is pressure "out instead of in ". Just a thought, because no one ever has wanted to pull a head for the problem.

Quick Reply: High Pitched Whistle Coming from Engine in Cold Weather?