2004 - 2008 F-150

Mark another one on the wall for a sparkplug broke off in a head

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kool Aid........the only reason I said that was because I remember the first few post people made about this happening. People began to freak out, which they have good reason to, and a lot of other people were making fun of them worrying about it saying things like "the sky is falling".....That's why I said what I said, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I was only trying to stick up for the people that were worried about this, including ME.

And those plugs in that pic look horrible. Do you do a lot of short trip driving JP? I just can't see why they are actually rusting up like that, you'd think with any distance of driving would burn the water off that is rusting those up. I'm going to lubricate my new ones with some HHS-2000 and take one out in 5,000 miles after installation and see if that stuff works. We have it at work, it is made by Wurth and comes in a spray can. It is some neat stuff, it comes out thin and dries into a high temp, high pressure grease. Here is the specs from their webpage if anyone is interested.

HHS-2000
Lubricant, resistant to high pressures and with high adhesive strength. Penetrates into tightest areas easily. Sets into a high temperature grease. Ideal for hinges, latches. Optimim penetration into the treated parts. Immediate evaporation of the solvent, resulting directly in a high adhesive force between lubricant and metal.

Synthetic lubricant
Adheres strongly to metal
Temperature resistant from -31°F to +392°F
Silicone free
Starts as penentrant, sets into clear grease
Long lasting lubricant
Resistant to water, salt, most acids & alkalines - PH neutral
Will not harm plastics or rubber

Old 02-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Quintin, any ETA on a possible solution?
Not that I'm aware of. I've e-mailed some people in higher places and I'm waiting on replies from them.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo

They came out fairly hard at first with some initial creaking and popping sounds. Seems like they were torque a little tight too. I didn’t soak them with any kind of penetrating oil first and did it on a cold engine. I can see how good penetrating oil could soak its way down to the sleeve if you break the plug loose first, but if it’s froze in already, that ¼ turn to loosen it might snap it. Three of my plugs were spinning within themselves; check out the video clip
I completed the plug change on my 2004 FX4 5 months ago. My plugs came out a little rusted, but nothing special. All of them came out with some creaking & popping (cold engine).

I used the 5.4L 3V specific tool with a metal pipe extention to get it to break free. You will need to remove the air box & computer for access.

I'll be chaning my plugs every 30K to avoid any problems.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Yes, they're well aware of the problem. Yes, they're working on solutions. Yes, there's (supposedly) a tool in development to remove the broken insert without removing the head.

In regards to people who don't want to mess with spark plugs 'till 100K, it's your truck, I don't especially care what you do. But your stupid *** comments to people who do decide to change their plugs early don't help this thread one bit.
Then u got ppl like my dad who get rid of their vehicles before the warranty expires.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:30 AM
I know this thread is old, but I don't follow this forum much. Is there any word on a fix? Or a new type sparkplug to solve the problem? Quintin?

Old 08-24-2006, 01:17 AM
TSB 06-5-9 outlines removal of broken plugs. If anyone needs it, I have a copy and can e-mail it to you.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by mwheue
TSB 06-5-9 outlines removal of broken plugs. If anyone needs it, I have a copy and can e-mail it to you.
Yes post it

Old 08-24-2006, 02:26 AM
There is no chance that it is just the specific plugs that Ford uses? Has anyone replaced the original plugs and on their next plug change found the rusted problem or were the new plugs ok??

Old 08-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by scottps
Yes post it
I can E-mail it!

Old 08-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The "fix" is to remove the plugs with the engine semi warm. Loosen each plug no more than 1/4 turn and spray your favorite penetrating oil (Ford specifies Kroil - I prefer PB Blaster) down in the well, not a whole lot, just enough to barely cover the hex portion of the plug. Go get a cold beer and wait for 10-15 minutes to allow the oil to wick down the plug, then pull 'em. I've done several sets this way, and I've yet to break one.

ETA - And if the plug should break, there is a tool to remove what's left of the insert. I have not used this tool yet personally, but from what I've read from other dealer guys who have had to use it, it works well.

Last edited by Quintin; 08-24-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine were changed at the dealer and through a tsb at 20,000 and none broke. They all looked brand new.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
The "fix" is to remove the plugs with the engine semi warm. Loosen each plug no more than 1/4 turn and spray your favorite penetrating oil (Ford specifies Kroil - I prefer PB Blaster) down in the well, not a whole lot, just enough to barely cover the hex portion of the plug. Go get a cold beer and wait for 10-15 minutes to allow the oil to wick down the plug, then pull 'em. I've done several sets this way, and I've yet to break one.

ETA - And if the plug should break, there is a tool to remove what's left of the insert. I have not used this tool yet personally, but from what I've read from other dealer guys who have had to use it, it works well.
Thank you Quintin For the info

Old 08-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Is Ford recommending a different plug for replacement? My truck is close to 14k miles and I hope to have this thing for 5 or 6 years and if changing the plugs early will help when it REALLY needs done then I'm all for it.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
As always, thanks Quintin. You rock

I'll be doing this real soon and getting some antisieze on 'em.

Cheers
Grog

Old 08-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MGDfan
As always, thanks Quintin. You rock

I'll be doing this real soon and getting some antisieze on 'em.

Cheers
Grog
Again, its not the threads that are seizing, its the shaft portion due to poor design, so antisieze will not do anything.

Quick Reply: Mark another one on the wall for a sparkplug broke off in a head