2004 - 2008 F-150

Mark another one on the wall for a sparkplug broke off in a head

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once they are changed the first time does the problem cease to occur? If that is the case I might have the dealership replace my plugs just to have them worry about it. Sorry about your problems FF...but like you said at least you'll get more power out of it.

On a side note...about the dealerships...I'm kind of stuck.

When I bought my truck the dealership gave me oil changes, tire rotations and a power train warranty for the life of the truck. The catch is all my maintenance has to be done there. So I have to pay them for the 30k, 45k,etc maintenance plans. Normally I say goodbye to the dealership once the warranty is up but with the lifetime motor warranty they might just have me....

Old 02-13-2006, 11:08 AM
If the threads and collar were coated with anti-sieze this would not be happening. Are the 4.6L plugs the same? This reminds me of my glowplugs on my 96 Powerstroke. Same problem.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
I think anything pertaining to a subject other than replacing spark plugs fits in well for that. The title of this thread was "Mark another one on the wall for a sparkplug broke off in a head." Not:

OK.....but my post was a direct response to this post....which you failed to mention.

Originally Posted by Matt 05'FX4
Well for all of the people out there that made fun of us and said the sky is falling because they said it was a fluke and would only happen to a few..........here's your F'ing proof.
The hysterical response of some people about what may or may not be a problem with these plugs, is used as a way to incite emotions, and offers little in the way of constructive dialog.

The sky is not falling.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:19 PM
I took this board too seriously, so that's why I blew off in a couple of my responses; sorry for the clutter guys.

To contribute further to this discussion, has anyone taken a pic of view of the spark plug, in place in the motor? What I'm getting at is, how much of the thread portion of the plugs goes in? I have to assume by responses given thus far that there's no way to grab the remaining portion that's still in the head.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Short question... Has anyone replaced the plugs with more than 40k miles and NOT had a problem?
Of course I am only asking about the new 5.4 3-valve.
Chris

Old 02-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Wow, this is beginning to be an issue. Since, Ford recommends 100k replacement I'll be honest and probably wait. Maybe in the next two years there will be a recall or the dealerships will have the tool some have spoken of. I am on the fence though, I generally would change at 30 - 50k just for grins, I'm at 38k now, with a little over a year on my truck. So this thread has me thinking of what to do.

Why are they rusted though? Since, the seal is above the sleeved part wouldn't they be part of the lubrication from the engine. But never mind I guess oil doesn't/isn't supposed to get past the rings. It just seems like maybe seafoam would help or a quick addition of some diesel fuel would also help....hhhhmmmmm.

edit: given that we are such a small small slice of F150 owners and a few have had problems. I hope this is something ford is working on. Is this plug design in the GT mustangs too???

Last edited by Thrill Racing; 02-13-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, all the 3V engines use the same design spark plug. So this won't be a problem that Ford can ignore for long.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Quintin,
You had mentioned earlier that Kroil was used after breaking loose 1/4 turn overnight. Have you had great success with this method? Maybe it's the oil, but my plug (just did one) did not really get better after soaking overnight with WD40. This was also on a luke-warm motor. Should I try this other oil or maybe soak longer? Thanks.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
I changed mine at 25,776K

bad plug video but none of them broke off
Did those comeout hard they sure don't look very bad in the photo???

Old 02-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackf-150
Did those comeout hard they sure don't look very bad in the photo???
They came out fairly hard at first with some initial creaking and popping sounds. Seems like they were torque a little tight too. I didn’t soak them with any kind of penetrating oil first and did it on a cold engine. I can see how good penetrating oil could soak its way down to the sleeve if you break the plug loose first, but if it’s froze in already, that ¼ turn to loosen it might snap it. Three of my plugs were spinning within themselves; check out the video clip

Old 02-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Man those plugs look like a nightmare waiting to happen. Has anyone coated them with antisieze to see if makes removal easier the second go around?

Old 02-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KSpencer
Quintin,
You had mentioned earlier that Kroil was used after breaking loose 1/4 turn overnight. Have you had great success with this method? Maybe it's the oil, but my plug (just did one) did not really get better after soaking overnight with WD40. This was also on a luke-warm motor. Should I try this other oil or maybe soak longer? Thanks.
I used PB Blaster on a semi-warm engine at work and they practically fell out after breaking 'em loose. I haven't tried Kroil yet though.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Anyone who changed their plugs on the last go round of this thread pulled them for an inspection?

I just turned 8k on my 5.4 and was thinking about pulling the plugs at 10, but only if the antisieze/dielectric grease solution did any good. If not I'll join the 'leave them in til 100k' crowd.

If you've put any miles on these things after pulling them let us know, along with what you coated them with.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:51 PM
*patiently awaits either a recall or a new tool to come out*

I've got 4500 miles on my truck now...from reading all this I might actually wait until the 100k. Hell by then I will want a turbo/blower and will have to pull that stuff apart anyways.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Suspended
Quintin, any ETA on a possible solution?

Quick Reply: Mark another one on the wall for a sparkplug broke off in a head