2004 - 2008 F-150

???????Baja Claw Radials?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My buddy has a set on his 04 GMC 1500.... I was very impressed with them when we hit the mud holes.. Not too loud on the road... Great tire IMO.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by bigtruck311
i think the claws look awsome, the nittos and toyos just dont have the offroad performance that i was looking for, the claws on the other hand do, and lookk great too
No offense intended, I just can't stand directional tires.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Petersen's OffRoad mag's Tire Test did not fair the Baja Claws too well, and like I mentioned before my buddy's dodge has Claws and they hold their own in mud, but the same truck (however reg cab) with Mud Grapps has gone through the same muck with much less trouble. The tires are both 35's and same width. I like the look of the Baja Claws, but thats it. In regards to the "wheelers go with Baja Claws" statement, they're not much of a mud tire. What they are designed for is stated in the name "baja", please don't debate that. They cake bad in the muck around here, the void's are not very big to make matters worse (great for sand, not in mud).

Petersen's article used them all on the same Jeep, same mud run, and the Claws were rated 6th or 7th, behind Goodyears Wrangler, BFG's, Gumbo's, SSR's, and a few others of the Swamper tire line. I am going with the Mud Grapplers because I do not see very much sand during the year and they adhere to my needs, mud and rock or "trail mix". If i was going for looks, I'd get the Baja Claws, they look mean and perform well in sand. But it is something I rarely visit. I considered the Claws as well as TSL's but went with Mud Grapps because of their [local] reputation, a deciding factor for many (we all wheel through the same terrain around here).

I don't mean to be a smartass, but it's a well known fact they aren't competitive in mud, it's not what they are designed for.

Last edited by Josiah; 02-06-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Anything Mickey Thompson is quality . . . anything!

I've used 'em in the past on more than a handfull of occasions for different applications and they've never let me down.

Superior!

Old 02-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Josiah
Petersen's OffRoad mag's Tire Test did not fair the Baja Claws too well, and like I mentioned before my buddy's dodge has Claws and they hold their own in mud, but the same truck (however reg cab) with Mud Grapps has gone through the same muck with much less trouble. The tires are both 35's and same width. I like the look of the Baja Claws, but thats it. In regards to the "wheelers go with Baja Claws" statement, they're not much of a mud tire. What they are designed for is stated in the name "baja", please don't debate that. They cake bad in the muck around here, the void's are not very big to make matters worse (great for sand, not in mud).

Petersen's article used them all on the same Jeep, same mud run, and the Claws were rated 6th or 7th, behind Goodyears Wrangler, BFG's, Gumbo's, SSR's, and a few others of the Swamper tire line. I am going with the Mud Grapplers because I do not see very much sand during the year and they adhere to my needs, mud and rock or "trail mix". If i was going for looks, I'd get the Baja Claws, they look mean and perform well in sand. But it is something I rarely visit. I considered the Claws as well as TSL's but went with Mud Grapps because of their [local] reputation, a deciding factor for many (we all wheel through the same terrain around here).

I don't mean to be a smartass, but it's a well known fact they aren't competitive in mud, it's not what they are designed for.

i disagree, in patersons offroad they did a test of 7 tires when the claws got the new tire size (it was the bias not the radial) and it was only a mud test, the swamper boggers the claws the irok the sts and a few others the boggers and the claws dominated the other 5, this test was done with 5 diffrent vehicles (all highly moded mudders that could fit 40" or larger) and all the reviews from the drivers said that the claws was the next best thing in mud to a bogger, the claw has a high void area to self clean, all you need is alittle tire speed and it will clean all the mud off even in clay ( i go threw clay pretty regularly whenever it rains down here), the claw is one of the best mud tires out there only second to the bogger, i have seen this over and over, i have seen a few other tests in other mags ever since the baya claw was introduced and it has always had high marks in all areas, it is by far the best tire i have used in all areas

Old 02-07-2006, 05:11 PM

Petersen's Offroad Tire Test
i disagree, in patersons offroad they did a test of 7 tires when the claws got the new tire size (it was the bias not the radial) and it was only a mud test, the swamper boggers the claws the irok the sts and a few others the boggers and the claws dominated the other 5...
It's Petersen's first of all, and I don't think you read it.

"...nine real mud tires, mount them on similar rims, and try them out on one vehicle..." -Petersen's
This test was about as good as they get, I have never seen any magazine go into so much depth to match consistency. It was 9 tires, not 7 tires. And they did not use the Bias ply tire, that is known as the Competition Claw, not the Baja Claw, you have the Baja Claw. The Baja Claw is the radial version. The radial is a longer lasting tire in return for [slightly] poorer offroad performance depending on the terrain.

...this test was done with 5 diffrent vehicles (all highly moded mudders that could fit 40" or larger) and all the reviews from the drivers said that the claws was the next best thing in mud to a bogger.
The Baja Claw nor the Competition claw can even be COMPARED to the Bogger. Don't be naive, there is a HUGE difference, not only in lug pattern, void ratio but in lug size too, boggers have huge, deep lugs. They are absolutely incomparable in mud performance.

...the claw has a high void area to self clean, all you need is alittle tire speed and it will clean all the mud off even in clay (i go threw clay pretty regularly whenever it rains down here)...
The tire may meet your needs but don't make facts up so it meets other people's needs as well. The void ratio is pretty small compared to the competition.

...the claw is one of the best mud tires out there only second to the bogger...
...the test can speak for itself. That is a pretty wild claim, I think the test clearly states the opposite.

I have seen this over and over, i have seen a few other tests in other mags ever since the baya claw was introduced and it has always had high marks in all areas, it is by far the best tire i have used in all areas
It's not known for doing well in the mud at all, I have never heard of anyone boasting about it's mud capabilities. Look here.

I think this last quote sums it up.
"Our first contestant was the Baja Claw, and we also ran them last to make sure our results were consistent [same with the first 2 sets of tires]." -Petersen's

I can't stand when tires are misrepresented or overrated. It's not fair to the competition. To even compare this to a dedicated mud tire, or even the TSL line is rediculous. It's a decent trail tire but it's clearly designed for sand. I really don't mean to offend anybody, especially bigtruck. You can't say that these tires will outperform a tire that is DESIGNED for the mud.

"An interesting note was that in this mud the Claws didn’t seem to clean themselves very well, with only a few chunks blowing into the air at full rpm." -Petersen's

Now don't get me wrong, they do not do bad in mud, I have seen MANY tires in mud but these are nowhere near the best.

For kicks, my 6" Fabtech just arrived, can't wait to put it on.

Last edited by Josiah; 02-07-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:24 AM
that is not the test i am refering to, here are a few articles for you to read about the mud capabilitys of one of the toughest mud tires on the market today the bay claw
Review of the Mickey Thompson® Baja Claw® Radial
The Baja Claw® Radial is an extremely aggressive Mud Terrain tire not just in looks but also in performance. The massive diagonal lugs extent from center out and down around the sidewalls to provide excellent forward momentum through mud, sand and snow. Rock crawling is enhanced by the large grooves cut through the lugs, allowing the up to 6-ply design and construction to wrap around rocks like a glove especially when aired down to 10 psi or lower. Polyester and fiberglass along with the wrap-around tread design helps to make the Baja Claw one of the toughest Mud Terrain tires on the trail. Street manners are dependant on whether you choose the Bias Ply (referred to as the Mickey Thompson® Competition Claw) or Radial design, however noise levels are are somewhat elevated in both construction types with the Bias designed primarily for the off-road. The Baja Claw is available in both Bias Ply (Mickey Thompson® Competition Claw) and Radial designs for your preferred application. Sizes availability, 31" thru 42" in rim sizes of 15, 16, 16.5 and 17 inch wheels. The bias ply is available in 35x13.00-15 44x13.00-17
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...Claw-Radial.hm

and there is not much of a difrence at all in lug desighn or functionality of the bias and the radial claw one allows more side wall flex due to the bais ply compared to the radial

and i will compare them to the boggers because i have used the boggers before, the lug void is not that much of a diffrence the boggers have a channel in the center to allow more viod and better spin off,

the void ratio is not small by any means have you seen the claws they have very large voids in between the lugs for very good cleaning

my statements are not wild by any strech of the amagination, i have been playing in the mud in modified vehicles for a very long time and have used many diffrent tires and the baya claw is by far the best all around performence, i am not misrepresenting anything, these tires are great mud tires and it is what they are DESIGNED for,

Old 02-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by khendrix2374
My buddy has a set on his 04 GMC 1500.... I was very impressed with them when we hit the mud holes.. Not too loud on the road... Great tire IMO.
Yeah! WHat he said.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:22 PM
here Josiah are some more articles that compare them to the super swamper boggers, http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...bias/page2.htm
took this from the article

So here's the bottom line. If you're looking for a true off-road tire that will get you just about anywhere you point your rig, then you should consider the Baja Claw. If you're still undecided, find someone who owns a set and ask them, or better yet, watch them on the trails. The people who have run with us on the trails have certainly been seen scratching their heads and wondering if maybe they should convert to Claws. Many of those people have been long-time users of Boggers, Swampers, and other aggressive tires.

Mickey Thompson has, once again, proven itself a real contender in the off-road arena...this time with the hardcore boys. Try a set on your rig. You won't regret it.

here is another article were they compare the claws side by side to the bogger http://jpmagazine.com/techarticles/29978/

Old 02-09-2006, 01:51 AM

I like the JPmag article, nice pic of the two tires. I am swayed some, but as far as mud performance, they ran the tire in a pretty much idiot proof test and posted the results for all to see, there is no substitute for that kind of proof, none of these sites are able to compete with that kind of test. No offense at all is intended, it's a good tire, and I really do think it has a place on the trail, they're good on rocks and a well rounded tire, probably really shine in sand. I just think it's mud performance is a bit subpar. Who knows, I may own a set one day. I have nothing against them.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Josiah
I like the JPmag article, nice pic of the two tires. I am swayed some, but as far as mud performance, they ran the tire in a pretty much idiot proof test and posted the results for all to see, there is no substitute for that kind of proof, none of these sites are able to compete with that kind of test. No offense at all is intended, it's a good tire, and I really do think it has a place on the trail, they're good on rocks and a well rounded tire, probably really shine in sand. I just think it's mud performance is a bit subpar. Who knows, I may own a set one day. I have nothing against them.
well if you do get them one day you will love them, as far as mud performance being subpar i will take some video when it rains down here and take it threw some real goo for you, and you will see just how good they do, like i said earleir i have tried many sets of offroad tires on many vehicle (including the boggers) and nothing is as well rounded or handled as well on the street as these claws do, nothing tells the whole story like real world experience

Quick Reply: ???????Baja Claw Radials?????