2004 - 2008 F-150

Chalk up another kill! PSH....slow 5.4's??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cditch13
Are you actually reading my posts? I've stated over and over that I bought my truck as a WORK truck for my business, it has a V6 and I know it is slow. And I am talking about Ford in general, not just the truck division. Your the one that keeps bringing it back to trucks. All you have to do is look at the engine line ups to see that Ford is behind. GM has the LS2 making 400HP 400TQ and Dodge has the 6.1 Hemi Making 425HP and 400+TQ. Both with pushrod motors. Meanwhile the best ford can do without a supercharger is 300HP 320TQ. I'm disappointed in Ford plain and simple even the Ford GT gets beat by the new Z06 in almost every performance category. They never should of killed that V8 program they were working on, funny thing is I heard that it was going to be a 6.1L pushrod...
Dude, get your numbers straight. 5.4 is making 300 hp and 365 tq. --hemi 345 hp and 375 tq--5.3 295 hp and 330?tq. So i guess we really are at the back of the pack in engines SIMILAR TO OURS. I dont see you posting anything about fords 6.8 v-10 since were talking about trucks. Anyways, you have no right to say fords 5.4 is slow since you drive a v-6. 6.1 hemi ISNT used in a TRUCK. Wheres the loyalty man?

Old 02-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you actually reading my posts? I've stated over and over that I bought my truck as a WORK truck for my business, it has a V6 and I know it is slow. And I am talking about Ford in general, not just the truck division. Your the one that keeps bringing it back to trucks. All you have to do is look at the engine line ups to see that Ford is behind. GM has the LS2 making 400HP 400TQ and Dodge has the 6.1 Hemi Making 425HP and 400+TQ. Both with pushrod motors. Meanwhile the best ford can do without a supercharger is 300HP 320TQ. I'm disappointed in Ford plain and simple even the Ford GT gets beat by the new Z06 in almost every performance category. They never should of killed that V8 program they were working on, funny thing is I heard that it was going to be a 6.1L pushrod...
I keep talking about trucks because this is F150online, in the 2004-2006 F150 forum, in a post about F150s.

The fact is, Ford is more concerned with sales than performance, just like every other manufacturer. If they can sell more 300hp trucks, than Chevy and Dodge can sell with 400hp, what's the reason to develop a more powerful engine? If they could increase profits or sales by putting out fullsize trucks with 100hp 4-cylinders, they would. It's a business and they care about the bottom line, period.

Developing a 6.1L pushrod engine? Are you just dreaming this stuff?

Old 02-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by hwm3
I keep talking about trucks because this is F150online, in the 2004-2006 F150 forum, in a post about F150s.

The fact is, Ford is more concerned with sales than performance, just like every other manufacturer. If they can sell more 300hp trucks, than Chevy and Dodge can sell with 400hp, what's the reason to develop a more powerful engine? If they could increase profits or sales by putting out fullsize trucks with 100hp 4-cylinders, they would. It's a business and they care about the bottom line, period.

Well said. Give it 2 years and it will be the other way around. Ford will reclaim the hp race.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by trytokeepup
Well said. Give it 2 years and it will be the other way around. Ford will reclaim the hp race.
Thanks. Personally I enjoy the Chevy and Dodge guys thinking that our trucks our slow. The look on their faces when I beat them is priceless.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:29 AM

Bingo!

Old 02-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Are you trying to shift this into car engines? The 5.4 in the GT makes 550hp. Ford isn't worried about the lowly 400hp marker when building it's engines.

Who has tested the new GT against the 7.0L Z06? The GT is a supercar (in the Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari & Aston Martin league) and the vette is just a hyped up pony car.

You think they're always one step behind when it comes to power? You ever heard of the Lightning? They simply put performance engines in performance trucks. Nothing wrong with that.
I had kind of a sugar momma that let me drive her 93 L back when it first came out. LOL I remember it was basically a stock 5.8 351W with a different intake and 4.10 gears. That truck was so sweet. Then I remember she called me the day she picked up the 99 L. The first time I got to drive it was unforgetable.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:21 AM

Old 02-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by 04NickySP2
Are you trying to shift this into car engines? The 5.4 in the GT makes 550hp. Ford isn't worried about the lowly 400hp marker when building it's engines.

Who has tested the new GT against the 7.0L Z06? The GT is a supercar (in the Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari & Aston Martin league) and the vette is just a hyped up pony car.
You guys seriously can't read. I realize the power output of the GT engine, but if you go back and re-read my post you will see that I stated they need to put a Supercharger on the motor in order to make that kind of power. And in the past few months a magazine (road and track maybe) tested the new Viper Coupe, the Ford GT, and the new Z06 against one another. The Z06 beat the GT in almost everything except 1/4 mile. And to say the Z06 isnt' a supercar is pure ignorance considering the only production car to beat it around Nurburgring is the 450k dollar Carerra GT. You don't want to debate cars with me, trust me.

And yes trytokeep up I was talking about car engines, not truck engines. Which why I stated 6.1 Hemi and quoted the power output for the 5.4 3V motor in the new Mustang GT.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:50 PM
And yes trytokeep up I was talking about car engines, not truck engines. Which why I stated 6.1 Hemi and quoted the power output for the 5.4 3V motor in the new Mustang GT.
I'm not trying to start anything, and I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but I thought that the new Mustang GT had the 4.6L 3V not the 5.4

Old 02-03-2006, 05:00 PM
You guys seriously can't read. I realize the power output of the GT engine, but if you go back and re-read my post you will see that I stated they need to put a Supercharger on the motor in order to make that kind of power. And in the past few months a magazine (road and track maybe) tested the new Viper Coupe, the Ford GT, and the new Z06 against one another. The Z06 beat the GT in almost everything except 1/4 mile. And to say the Z06 isnt' a supercar is pure ignorance considering the only production car to beat it around Nurburgring is the 450k dollar Carerra GT. You don't want to debate cars with me, trust me.

Are you serious about the stuff your saying? Do you really think they "need" to supercharge to get that output, or could it be that's just the way they chose to do it? You realize your comparing a 5.4L engine to a 7.0L engine.

As far as GT vs. Z06, here's a few numbers to think about.

GT:
535 RWHP
460 RWTQ
0-60 in 3.4
1/4 mile in 11.5 @ 128.7mph

Z06:
453 RWHP
411 RWTQ
0-60 in 3.8
1/4 mile in 11.6 @ 126.6mph

Those numbers come from the Dec 2005 issue of Motor Trend magazine. Sure doesn't look like Ford is lagging in the power department.

We don't want to debate cars with you? Why not, you don't even know what engine comes in the Mustang GT. Hint, it's not a 5.4.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by rltripp
I'm not trying to start anything, and I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but I thought that the new Mustang GT had the 4.6L 3V not the 5.4
I thought this guy knew his cars.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:28 PM

Ok, so I've read your posts, both in this thread and the one you started about being disappointed with the 5.4 when you rode in your friends Lariat. You bought an F150 with a V6 because you need it for work and it's more economical and has a bigger cab than the Chevy. That's great you got what you needed for practical reasons and nothing more. I'm just wondering one thing... Why are you even here? Why did you make up a sign name, think of a password, give them your email address, and enter into a site where everyone or most everyone loves their FORD trucks? What point are you trying to make? You obviously aren't here to find cool new mods you can do on your PRACTICAL truck. With all your knowledge of engines and cars there's no way you could need any help with a mechanical question. So what is your deal??? You just wanna argue, stir the pot, make people feel bad about what they bought or maybe you're just an a$$ H01E who gets off on this kind of thing. I get that the only reason you have a Ford is because you felt it was cheap and practical... That's fine, but what is your purpose coming here?

Old 02-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Lets keep it clean guys. I never started this thread to stir up a big argument for the anti-ford people on this site that hate their trucks. I shared a true story and its too bad people have to go against it and not believe it. Its just kinda funny how one guy says you cant compare a 1/2 truck to a 3/4 truck cuz they weigh more and yet the next guy tells me the 3/4 truck would waste me cuz they have more power. Kinda contradicting if you ask me.

So lets not start any name calling so Rockpick or any of the moderators wont have to step in. Were bigger men than that.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Are you serious about the stuff your saying? Do you really think they "need" to supercharge to get that output, or could it be that's just the way they chose to do it? You realize your comparing a 5.4L engine to a 7.0L engine.

As far as GT vs. Z06, here's a few numbers to think about.

GT:
535 RWHP
460 RWTQ
0-60 in 3.4
1/4 mile in 11.5 @ 128.7mph

Z06:
453 RWHP
411 RWTQ
0-60 in 3.8
1/4 mile in 11.6 @ 126.6mph

Those numbers come from the Dec 2005 issue of Motor Trend magazine. Sure doesn't look like Ford is lagging in the power department.

We don't want to debate cars with you? Why not, you don't even know what engine comes in the Mustang GT. Hint, it's not a 5.4.
Yes, I do think that Ford NEEDS to put a supercharger on their motor in order to achieve the output that it has. The Modular motors have been down on power since they day they were introduced. The first run of 4.6's were dogs in both the mustangs and the pickups as were the 5.4's. Then came the "Power Improved" heads which helped a bit but still left something to be desired. I realize the difference in motors in the GT and the Z06 although I am more familiar with the LS7. And ok the 4.6 3V comes in the Mustang, not the 5.4 my mistake, the GT500 has the 5.4 4V got my numbers mixed up. I'm not a big mustang fan anyway.

And one more thing, whats the price tag on one of those Ford GT's?

As for why am I here, I have been here since I had my 98 F150 4x4 5.4L a couple years ago. I loved that truck gave me zero problems until the tranny started to die and I traded it in on my current one. I like Ford trucks, they probably are the best built trucks on the road, I'm just disappointed in their ability to keep up or surpass the competition in the power department.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:01 PM
You obviously didnt buy your truck for power so why are you concerned with the power they put out. You bought a V6; you should be arguing this over on the Ranger forum or the focus forum where they are concerned with keeping up with a civic or S10. To be honest it's kinda aggravating when we come here to relieve stress every day because we know we have something in common with each other on this forum . We all love our trucks and it bugs the heck out of me that you are messing with this. Go whine about your V6 somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Chalk up another kill! PSH....slow 5.4's??