2004 - 2008 F-150

Question about Mods for 06 Lariat SCrew

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 01:27 PM
jsb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about Mods for 06 Lariat SCrew

Hello everyone,
I planning to buy an 06 Lariat 4x2 SCrew, and would like to know what web sites I can access for changing out the wood grain accents on the dash and doors for something like the FX4? And I like the AutoSpring 2" leveling kit. Will that work for the 4x2? I want 20" wheels on my 4x2, so the leveling kit should help. Where can I find the AutoSpring web site, or web retailers selling it? I am considering buying the Ford 7 year extended warranty. Will the Autospring kit void the warranty?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 01-07-2006, 01:38 PM
I have been told that the leveling kit does NOT void your warranty, but im sure guys on here have heard that it does. You can go to stylinconcepts.com and look at there wood grain dash kits. Then you can do a search on the web and find it cheaper usually. Ebay has alot of different dash kits on there. Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:40 PM
JSB,

heres the site for autospring http://www.autospringcorp.com/ it is a very EZ kit to put on yes it will work on a 4X2, And I asked my dealer if it would void my warranty they said no. But theres lots of install pics on this site just use the search as for the woodgrain look up www.stylinconcepts.com.
hope this helps you out.
2005 F150

Old 01-07-2006, 03:56 PM
jsb
Question Follow up Questions

Hey, Thanks guys for the quick response. I have some follow up questions. It seems that the dash kits that you mention are actually just 3M double-sided tape type covers over the original trim. Here's what I'm really interested in. I want to buy the 06 SCrew 6.5' bed Lariat but get rid of the wood-grain. I really like the dark interior/black leather/captains chairs of the FX4 in the 06 F150 brochure, but want it in a 4x2 Lariat. Do you think that I can order the Lariat with the XLT or FX4 trim items to replace the wood-grain trim, or have the dealership replace an on-lot Lariat with the wood-grain with FX4 or XLT non wood-grain trim? Is that too much to ask?

And about the extended warranty. I can understand the regret of paying the $1500.00 for the extended warranty, but since this is my 40th birthday first new vehicle ever, and in the past I've always had bare minimum trucks with hardly any options at all, (no power windows, no a/c, nothing), and now that I'm going to the other extreme with a fully loaded Lariat outfitted more like a King Ranch, do you think that any of those options have a good chance of having problems in a 7 year time period that would make the extended warranty worth the cost?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 01-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Scott,

About the wood trim, I had on 04 FX4 and now I have an 05 lariat and the trim just pops off so I'm sure you could change out with what you would like.
The warranty the only thing that ever broke on my 04 was a window regulater it was 270$ I would say since your not getting 4WD get the warranty with the money you save from that. that just my 2 cents.

Matt

Old 01-08-2006, 12:30 AM
I bought the warranty. I worked at a local ford dealer for 6 years in service and parts. I think you will be very happy you bought the warranty the first time you need it. Believe me I saw alot of 04 and 05 trucks come in and out of that place. I still stop in there on a weekly basis. I say better safe than sorry, and if you are buying a loaded lariat what's another 2 grand or less. Save yourself the hardache and give yourself piece of mind. If you are going to keep this truck for 5-7 years get the warranty. I hope this helps you. You do what you want but piece of mind is the greatest.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:25 PM
What exactly are the leveling kit's for? And why buy such a fully loaded truck and not get 4 wheel drive?

Old 01-08-2006, 11:34 PM
No you can not just swap out the trims with a different model! The lariat trim is different than all the others besides the king ranch (which is also wood grain I believe) because of the the automatic temperature control.

EDIT: Now that I think about it I also believe the harley davidson edition comes with the automatic temp control and a sort of black trim but im not 100% sure.

Last edited by KaNigIt; 01-08-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:33 AM
You could always do what I did...sand the shiny finish off of the wood grain trim with a fine grit sandpaper then repaint it with flat black vinyl dye. The dye is thinner in consistency than paint and soaks into the plastic so you don't get flaking and chips. You can use the flat finish instead of the glossy and get OEM results. If I remember, I'll snap a pic or two so you can see how it turned out. So far, I've only done the console pieces and not the pieces in the door panels.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Here are the pics...

Quick Reply: Question about Mods for 06 Lariat SCrew