2004 - 2008 F-150

Q & A about the Edge product for 04-06

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got mine today! Everything was so slick on setting it up. After reading through the instructions, I went out to my truck (still at work), and went through the setup procedure and performance programming. I went ahead and chose "custom" tune so I could change and adjust my gear ratio and tire size. The gear ratio, 3.73, was fine but I had to change the tire size up to 2559 for my 275/65/18's. There's a table in the instructions that helps you with setting the right mm's.

The programming of my truck was so fast! I had an xcal 1 previously and compared to that this thing cooks. After that I took my truck for a quick up the road test, (remember I'm at work). Whoa! (there's that whoa). The accelerator responsiveness is MUCH improved! I can hear my engine growl a bit more and the lower rpm's seem much more willing than before. Granted, I only took my truck up the road a ways, but I'll continue to report on my experience. So far, very positive. By the way, I programmed #2, 87 tow. I've got a Gibson SISO and an Airaid MIT, that's all.

And yes, I agree. An option for av. miles per gallon, would be great!

Last edited by CO FX4; 01-03-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mire7
I have had a little trouble with my unit...when i installed it it came back with an error code 0xF1... i just got in touch with edge tech support and they will have to customize a program for me...i wonder if they will put this as an update... they said it may be something to do with the year and fx4's??? i have no idea what that means but no beta testers has this problem.. i hope they hurry up so i can tune my truck. all i have been able to do is monitor the gauges on it and play with the colors... anyone else have this problem??
Try plugging in the edge unit with the key in the on position... You will have to do this every time you disconnect the unit. Give it a try and get back to us...

Old 01-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Just got done loading my tune. Running #2 and took it for about a two mile trip. All I can say is . Edge...you guys rock.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mire7
I have had a little trouble with my unit...when i installed it it came back with an error code 0xF1... i just got in touch with edge tech support and they will have to customize a program for me...i wonder if they will put this as an update... they said it may be something to do with the year and fx4's??? i have no idea what that means but no beta testers has this problem.. i hope they hurry up so i can tune my truck. all i have been able to do is monitor the gauges on it and play with the colors... anyone else have this problem??
When did you get this error message? Where you trying to custom tune?

Old 01-03-2006, 09:47 PM
I just made this Ford Logo Splash Screen for the edge in PhotoShop
I'll email it to anyone that wants it, or if someone wants to host it that can set it up for downloads....
Its a 128 X 64 B&W Bmp......
I havn't tried it, Not getting my edge intil Fri...
Someone try it out and tell me what it looks like...

Old 01-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by F150Truck'in
I just made this Ford Logo Splash Screen for the edge in PhotoShop
I'll email it to anyone that wants it, or if someone wants to host it that can set it up for downloads....
Its a 128 X 64 B&W Bmp......
I havn't tried it, Not getting my edge intil Fri...
Someone try it out and tell me what it looks like...
Looks sweet F150Truck'in. My dad lives in Chester

Old 01-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by 04NickySP2
Looks sweet F150Truck'in. My dad lives in Chester
I use to live in Chester also, then moved to Midlothian about 5 years ago....
If you get up this way 04NickySP2, give a yell.....first one on me

Last edited by F150Truck'in; 01-03-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Is anyone having trouble doing a custom tune? I loaded the edge tunes fine, truck runs great however when I tried to go in and do a custom tune it gave me an error message and aborted. The edge tune is still installed and running great, over the weekend I loaded the level 2 tune to tow a trailer then reinstalled the level 3 tune when I was finished with no trouble. It just won't let me do a custom tune. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 01-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by LsuSuperCrew
Is anyone having trouble doing a custom tune? I loaded the edge tunes fine, truck runs great however when I tried to go in and do a custom tune it gave me an error message and aborted. The edge tune is still installed and running great, over the weekend I loaded the level 2 tune to tow a trailer then reinstalled the level 3 tune when I was finished with no trouble. It just won't let me do a custom tune. Anyone else have this problem?

Same thing happened to me. Check out the troubleshooting section in the back of the manual. As I recall, you will need to unplug the Edge, turn the key to the ON position (but don't start the engine), then plug the Edge into your truck. Then wait 15 seconds. After that you should be able to program a custom tune.

Last edited by C-17 Pilot; 01-04-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by LsuSuperCrew

This happens when you don't have the key on before plugging the edge into the truck.

Unplug the edge for 15 seconds. Then turn your key to the on position. Now plug the edge into the truck. Click enter for the disclaimer and wait for atleast 15 seconds for the edge to read the calibration off of your truck. Now have fun programming.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by minus_13
Try plugging in the edge unit with the key in the on position... You will have to do this every time you disconnect the unit. Give it a try and get back to us...
i have tried to do this several times (as per the inst. that came with the tuner) even with edge tech support on the phone. still no go...followed all instructions given, checked for updates nothing..waiting on edge tech support to call me back with new program...! but thanks though for trying to help!!
i had this trouble after i turned key to on-plugged in unit-turnd key off as per unit-turnd key to on with no start-it read pcm then code came up unable to program error code:

any help is greatly appreciated on this!!!

Last edited by Mire7; 01-04-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Suspended
I asked this before but I don't think I've ever got a response.

I know you can customize each tune but ha Edge set parameters so you can't destroy your motor?

I can't wait, my Edge tuner is going to be getting here tomorrow!

Old 01-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I asked this before but I don't think I've ever got a response.

I know you can customize each tune but ha Edge set parameters so you can't destroy your motor?

I can't wait, my Edge tuner is going to be getting here tomorrow!
I would imagine that when you start setting parameters you enter the realm of the unknown. I would imagine that you could destroy your engine. For instance, setting your rev limiter too high would demolish your engine. Or running on the performance tune with 87 gas and having it set for 91+ which would cause pinging...which can eventually lead to engine failure.

btw....the edge is awesome. I got mine yesterday and haven't had a chance to play with it much....but it will throw your head back into the seat on just the towing tune.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:49 PM
???? Has anybody noticed that tunes 1 & 2 (87 octane) are set at 91 octane if you go into custom tune menu? Should I change this? I ran it like that, never heard any pinging.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I have had my EDGE for about a week now, and I have been running on level 2 with 87 octane fuel for a majority of the time. I am not as impressed as most of the people on here appear to be. I have a 2004 lariat 4x4 supercrew, and I never got my truck reflashed by the dealer, but that is exactly what it seems like the EDGE did due to prior message threads concerning "reflashing." I do feel a slight difference, but I attribute this to the slightly better throttle response-the way people made it seem, I thought there would be a much more noticeable throttle response and gain in power. However, all this being said, I do believe that my power numbers and mileage will be improved by the EDGE, and I am still glad that I purchased it-the gauges and non-performance enhancing features, alone, make it worth the money.

Quick Reply: Q & A about the Edge product for 04-06