Squeeling Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Just for curiosity, if you think the pad itself is squealing, please explain
1. How?
2. Why? All the major makers say it ain't possible.

As to the brake dust decreasing 90%, lots of people noticed that when they first bought their truck the dust was much worse.
These trucks freewheel.
Not a new development, cars had it in the 30's.
But it went away when overdrive transmissions went away, late 60's.

It's back. It may become more common.

It has nothing to do with braking itself; it has to do with realizing the trucks will ‘coast’ a LONG way when you take your foot off of the feed.

A non-freewheeling truck or car will 'suck down' pretty fast when you take your foot off the gas. No coasting. So if you drive it like your old car/truck, and wait till you are on top of the stop sign and expect the trans to slow you down, it ain't gonna happen.

Then you get the complaints that the brakes are weak. The truck doesn't stop as fast as an old truck, as the engine was acting like a brake, through the transmission. In an actual panic stop, it seems to stop pretty darn good.

For those of us that have been driving cars since the low 60's (my first car was a 53 ****** AeroCoupe) it is not a problem.

Just drive it like it had overdrive with freewheeling. Gets better gas mileage, and you don't waste brake pedal.

I doubt the freewheeling will last. Too few understand how to drive anymore. Just stuff it in gear and stomp it.
Oh well.
man, you're telling noah about the flood. I understand and I know how to drive not only my trucks but others as well. Simple concept, and I agree with you that a lot of people out there don't get it. I noticed these things when I got my new truck, since my '93 is not a freewheeler. I don't hammer down to the stop lights, then hammer down soon as it's green, etc. I know a lot of people that do, and you're right that they don't properly drive these new trucks. My suspicion is that ford made them more of a freewheel type to increase the gas mileage. It helps. You've probably seen plenty of vehicles w/ problems relating to that. But I still get plenty of brake dust and I feel like it's the type of brake pads that are on it. Period. Some brands do it, others don't. Whatever the problem is w/ squealing, it is an existing problem and a trend noticed by thousands of new f150 owners, as is the 'shudder', the 'wheel nibble', etc. I'm no pro, but if you clean and clean and clean the pads or rotors and still have the problem, something in there is just not right. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really easy on my brakes and was surprised that the rotors were warped when I took my truck in for 'the squeak'. There have been a couple of TSB's out for this. First they turned my rotors. Then 2000 miles later the steering wheel shook when braking and they replaced them with a different rotor that was upgraded(new number). I have heard that they upgraded the rotor material again(new number) and they have a differerent set of pads that they put on if the problem is bad enough. Mine have been Ok since the rotor replacement but I baby them as I am waiting for the warranty to run out then I am going with slotted rotors all around with ceramic pads.

Quick Reply: Squeeling Brakes?