2004 - 2008 F-150

WTT: Your 05 SCrew FX4 for my 05 Lariat :D

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking WTT: Your 05 SCrew FX4 for my 05 Lariat :D

Damn, I REALLY wish I held out for 4WD... I always settle and regret it later.

Anyone else regret not getting 4WD? I don't really need it, but would like to play with it every now and then.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Who says you cant have fun with a 2wd???

Old 12-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by -TXF150-
Exactly. Im almost always in 2WD. . .

Old 12-10-2005, 06:00 PM
I did the same thing with my last truck. That's why I got this one! I know the feeling.

Old 12-10-2005, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look in my gallery for some fun things I did with my 2wd

Old 12-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by -TXF150-
I know.. I'm just always teased as the 'wanna-be' of the group. I'm looking into a 6" lift (the 2" autospring got me addicted to the height increase) and the guys that would help install it do Jeeps for a living.. So you could imagine what I hear all day long..

So, just how capable is a 2WD?

Old 12-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I regretted not getting 4WD in my last 2 trucks. That's why this time I made sure to get it.

And to answer your question about just how capable 2WD is...
I'm almost always in 2WD when I go off road. The 4WD is kind of a "just in case" safety device. Having 4WD allows you to really see how far you can push your 2WD, just don't get too ballsy, or else you'll find out the limits and really wish you had gotten the 4WD.

Trending Topics

Old 12-11-2005, 04:53 AM
In my small experience with trucks, 4x4 just decreases your gas mileage and increases the amount of stuff on your truck that can break. For those that are off road every day or every weekend it's necessary, but for most people it's not. People buy it purely because their buddies will make fun of them if they don't. The simple solution to this, of course, is to challenge their 4x4 to a race. Just wait till the lame-*** challenges to 'hook up bumper to bumper' start to fly.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fourpointsix
In my small experience with trucks, 4x4 just decreases your gas mileage and increases the amount of stuff on your truck that can break. For those that are off road every day or every weekend it's necessary, but for most people it's not. People buy it purely because their buddies will make fun of them if they don't. The simple solution to this, of course, is to challenge their 4x4 to a race. Just wait till the lame-*** challenges to 'hook up bumper to bumper' start to fly.
That's funny, because all my friends have lowered 4x2's, and I laugh at them when camping or going off pavement is brought up.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by SSpiro
I know.. I'm just always teased as the 'wanna-be' of the group. I'm looking into a 6" lift (the 2" autospring got me addicted to the height increase) and the guys that would help install it do Jeeps for a living.. So you could imagine what I hear all day long..

So, just how capable is a 2WD?
Take the money that you would spend on a lift and tires and buy a used Jeep or similar. You can probably get one for less than $5000 and you won't have to worry about scratches or dents that you pick up while offroading.

If you just want a show truck, then feel free to lift your 2wd, but if you want performance then you will be happier with a used Jeep.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
That's funny, because all my friends have lowered 4x2's, and I laugh at them when camping or going off pavement is brought up.
Yes, and all your posts from the last couple weeks since you got your truck involve you worried about making it as fast as a Titan. Not to mention your 0-60 runs and burnout videos. Thanks for proving my point.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by lrhogfan
Take the money that you would spend on a lift and tires and buy a used Jeep or similar. You can probably get one for less than $5000 and you won't have to worry about scratches or dents that you pick up while offroading.

If you just want a show truck, then feel free to lift your 2wd, but if you want performance then you will be happier with a used Jeep.
It's all about looks.. and nothing about performance. I love my truck too much to take it down trails and mud pits. I just love the look and stance, but fear it'll look silly without that front axle.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by SSpiro
It's all about looks.. and nothing about performance. I love my truck too much to take it down trails and mud pits. I just love the look and stance, but fear it'll look silly without that front axle.
Yeah, it might look a little silly with all that empty space up there. And I hear you about not wanting to get your truck dirty. I drove out to the woods here yesterday after 3 days of rain and that north florida red clay is not good to get all over your truck. I crawled through that stuff so slowly as to not splatter it everywhere I almost sank.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by tardman91
Yeah, it might look a little silly with all that empty space up there. And I hear you about not wanting to get your truck dirty. I drove out to the woods here yesterday after 3 days of rain and that north florida red clay is not good to get all over your truck. I crawled through that stuff so slowly as to not splatter it everywhere I almost sank.

Heh.. Exactly.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:24 PM
I had 4wd on my last truck and i only used it once in 3 years (didn't really need to either). I opted for the 2wd this time and don't anticipate missing the 4wd. I'm saving the cash to do what some of the guys previously suggested and am going to buy an old jeep or 70 something Bronco. 99.99% of the time your 2wd will serve you just fine. You have a really sweet rig SSpiro!

Quick Reply: WTT: Your 05 SCrew FX4 for my 05 Lariat :D