2004 - 2008 F-150

Question for those with billet grilles

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with billet grilles

I installed one on my '05 FX4, a Stull, both the upper and lower grille. Has anyone whom has one ever experienced wind noise with them that sounds like alot like a whistleing. (Yeah, I may have asked for some ribbing with this. )
Or just wind noise period. I have only had this truck a month and it had 6K on it when purchased, a demo.
Soon as I installed this grille, the next morning I drove to Lowes and started hearing a whistling/whine from the front of the truck. I had never heard it before now. I don't know if I should take it in to the dealer for it may be a front drive train problem or wheel bearing issue or what to think. The pitch of the noise changes too.....wierd.
So odd that the noise started after the install of the grille. AND, it only happens at speeds greater than 40mph.

Anyone? Ideas? Help, it's driving me crazy,

Old 12-06-2005, 05:35 PM
I put on a Carriage Works upper and lower billet grill and I am experiencing the same thing! And it is driving me nuts too. It only happens between 60 and 70 mph and / or the wind speed can affect it as well.
I was advised by others to loosen the screws and tweek it a little or make sure one of the horizontal bars isn't vibrating on the side of the frame.
It still whistles / whines the same.
I have just learned to live with it!
Good luck!

Old 12-06-2005, 06:15 PM
WOW! So I'm not the only one. Don't know whether to be relieved or upset.
I just went out at lunch break and removed the lower grille. The drive home should tell me if THAT piece is the culprit.
I am hoping it IS the bottom grille as I think I can come up with a mod to solve it.
I have noticed that direction of travel seems to effect the noise too, into the wind or against it. Stronger winds appear to make it louder.
I was sure I had mine fitting perfect but I will check again and again to make sure nothing is touching or loose.

Anyone else hear any noise with their custom grille? Or is tbagr and I the only ones freaking out. Could we be wrong, and it is mechanical? It could make you feel pretty stupid to take the truck in and they tell you "it's your grill stupid". But I want to be absolutely sure if it is.

Would anyone have a solution or those that maybe have experienced this freaky situation fixed theirs?

I really like the looks of the truck with these grilles, but, don't know if I can live with that noise. It does sound similar to bearing noise too. Too embarassed to take anyone for rides when she whistles and whines like this.

Thanks to all.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:15 PM
mine did that for the first few weeks or so, then it went away and I haven't heard it since. I installed mine back in May 04.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by tbagr
I put on a Carriage Works upper and lower billet grill and I am experiencing the same thing! And it is driving me nuts too. It only happens between 60 and 70 mph and / or the wind speed can affect it as well.
I was advised by others to loosen the screws and tweek it a little or make sure one of the horizontal bars isn't vibrating on the side of the frame.
It still whistles / whines the same.
I have just learned to live with it!
Good luck!
Mine does the same thing.. Either it fixed its self or I just got use to the noise..

Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Wind noise with billet grille's

After removing the lower grille I drove her home last night and the noise subsided some. Still have some but did not seem as loud. We had a pretty stiff northeast wind, which the direction you drive, into or with the wind behind or at side seems to effect the severity of the noise. I am now trying to come up with a fix, a solid back to the lower grille which would restrict the air. Has anyone ever attempted a fix like this?
Surprised only two others here have this issue.

Thanks guys.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Suspended
DO NOT BLOCK IT!

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Mine does it to. After I put it in I drove on the interstate and it sounds like there is 100 mph wind blowing outside. I finally realized I didn't have a leaky window, it was just the grill.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
DO NOT BLOCK IT!
Why not? Just thinking of the doing the lower one.
It sucks when your friends get in your fine FX4 and as you go down the road it's "is that your truck making that noise? What's wrong with it?"

Thanks to all.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Suspended
Im sure you have the oil cooler down there so that wouldn't be a smart idea. Seriously, just wait it out. Many others here said that it went away after time and hell if it doesn't just take it off. Its not worth causing damage to your engine is it?

Old 12-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The noise is most likely caused by the design of the grill. When it hits the wind a certain way it just whistles. It's the same idea like when you blow over a jug and it makes noise. There is probably nothing you can do besides remove it to stop the sound. Or just don't drive in the wind.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:19 AM
I have both the uppper and lower on my truck, and have noticed no noise from it.

mikebaby

Old 12-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Wierd thing has happened to me last night and this morning.....the whistle was extremely bad. The only thing I can contribute it to is the -2 degree temp we are experiencing. Is it the grill or the AF1 intake? Not sure, and might be reaching here, but extreme cold temps might make a difference.
When it is -2 degrees, even I make some strange noises!!

Old 12-07-2005, 11:06 AM
billet grille noise

Mikebaby, what grille do you have? What material is the everyone's grille made of. The Stull I have is a heavy aluminum and I am curious if THAT is a factor with the aero dynamics of the vehicle travel adding in the wind factor. I want to call Stull and complain but can not locate a ph#. Already tossed the boxes and instructions that may of had that info on it.
The damn thing has more of a whine than whistle. Almost as bad as my whine about it. That had me extremely concerned it may be in the front drive line somewhere....but as I first stated it begain just after I did the install. Should I take it in for the dealer service department to look at? Take them for a drive and see if they believe the noise appears to be in the front drive line?? Would you mention to them my first thoughts of the whine/whistle being caused by the grille?

I do apologize for going on and on about this...but I just despise noises in a new truck. We pay good money for them. I don't listen to the radio hardly at all, so I am stuck with hearing the whine.

Thanks for your imput and patience.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Wow, I just ordered a top and lower grill for my truck. I had never heard of this problem. But if I get the same results, I think I know the fix I will try first...........new exhaust to drown out the sound.........LOL

Quick Reply: Question for those with billet grilles