2004 - 2008 F-150

Question for all techs

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a job.....techs

OK, now I'm probably going to get flamed for this or have this entire thread deleted but here goes.

I'm interested in getting back into the mechanic field. Any suggestions on training to get? (Ford Asset Program?) How's the job market? What's the average pay for a newby?
I used to be a (diesel) mechanic years ago in the military as well as motorcycles and so forth before that. I now work in an office and it's driving me crazy. Worked my butt off to get a college degree only to make a crappy salary.
I know I could be making more as a mechanic, not to mention I really enjoy it.

Any thoughts??

Please be nice and don't flame me too much....

Last edited by Rich04F150; 12-05-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Dunno about it first hand for many years but I do have friends that are still wrenching. The pay is not so good unless you are the top mechanic in a shop. Heavy line pays fairly well, but again, you need to be the 'old bear of the woods' not the new guy.
Turnover is fairly high.
Dealerships pay best, small shops you will work 60+ hours a week and not make as much.
New guys have too many comebacks to really make it good. That means you will be working for free to fix mistakes, even if they are not really mistakes.
Diesel mechanics make a better living for less customer involved hassles.
The basic tools to get into the job will set you back 12-20k. Some states you pay taxes on the ownership of the tools. Not kidding.
You will constantly be spending big bucks for tools.
They don't hire mechanics that show up with a 'carry in' box.
Are you sure you don't just want to switch jobs? Stay with white collar work; just try a different place/field/area?

Consider Service writer/Parts, retail management. Automotive knowledge is very handy when combined with computer/office knowledge.
Best of luck anyway
Chris

Old 12-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tagged for later this evening when I get home...I got lots to say about this, some good, some bad. Stand by; Edit - hell with it, here we go:

I'm interested in getting back into the mechanic field. Any suggestions on training to get? (Ford Asset Program?)
ASSET is a good program, but I don't think any schools can realistically prepare you for this field. The School of Hard Knocks will learn you more than any tech school or head start program, but that's a long, hard road unto itself.
How's the job market? What's the average pay for a newby?
As it stands right now, demand for trained, qualified technicians is probably pretty high since turnover is very high at the dealership level as well. Older techs, most of whom are Masters or Senior Masters are tired of the crap that comes with this job and have left to change careers or work in independent stores, leaving dealers lacking in good technicians.

Pay can vary on a lot of things. I'm not sure whether you're familiar with the flatrate pay system. Starting out, you'll probably get paid hourly or a weekly salary until you get a hold of the ropes, then eventually get moved onto the line as a flat rate technician. Flat rate can be good or bad, depending on the shop, the jobs you're doing, and the time of the year. A brief overview of flat rate, basically, you get paid for what you turn. If a job pays five hours, and you get it done in two and a half, you still get paid five hours times whatever your flat rate base pay is. If it takes you three days, you still get paid five hours. And in the case of Ford, warranty times are a whole 'nother animal. Warranty times have gradually been cut back until they're a shadow of what they were five or ten years ago. This system of pay is also very seasonal. Around this time of the year, people aren't spending money to fix their cars, they're spending money to visit their families and buy Christmas presents and stuff. Some of the better shops offer their employees a guarantee of (X) number of hours a week, but most don't. If you ain't working, you ain't getting paid. As far as a dollar figure goes, this'll vary depending on your experience level and (more so) how valuable (read: how many hours you turn) to the shop.

My E-mail is always open if you want my story for the past five years I've worked for a dealer. FlatRateTech has a lot of good info pertaining to this field as well.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I can only relate my experiences.

Last edited by Quintin; 12-05-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks Quintin.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Demand up here in Canada, (at least in Alberta,) Is very high. This is especially true for guys who work on diesels. I am the only diesel tech in our shop and I am booked till some time in January. We haven't even started our busy season yet. As soon as it drops below -30, there will be several diesels towed in everyday. I can't see ever running out of work. I don't think I can even keep up with it. Each day we get more backed up. Soon be time to go get another raise. We are currently going through the process of getting a tech from Germany. I don't even think he speaks good english. If they can find someone that is willing to stay and work, I think they would take care of the training for you. The pay rate is rising fast in this area due to the lack of people willing to work at this trade. If you're interested, I could use the help. LOL!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Quintin hit the nail on the head. The long term guys will be able to fix anything on any part of the product line and will be paid for there skills. In our area an entry level tech with an asset back ground might make $8.50hr. We have a Ford backed collage program(I cann't think of the name right this second) and they will get around $12hr. B's will make $17hr to start and an A starts at $22.00hr and goes up from there. A little clue on turn over an A tech can go to any dealer and get a job any day of the week. But really good guys stay put because the dealer cann't replace them, so they pay them well to keep them. BTW Ford warranty time are GROSSLY under paid and it gets worse every year. I train all of out asset students any try to let them know there is very little money in this line of work for 5 to 7 years before you really get a grasp on everything you have to know and know it well enough to make a good living at it. My two cents stay away unless you have thick skin.

Quick Reply: Question for all techs