2004 - 2008 F-150

Car cleaning products(wax etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car cleaning products(wax etc)

Hey guys...i know this should probably put in the detailing forum but wanted to know what all you guys use to shine up your truck? As of right now im just using generic soap and old turtle wax. Im in need of something better because i can see the swirls when the light hits it. Also need some type of tire shine. thanks

Old 12-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Suspended
I use NXT and it does wonders.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Products I like to use are...

Pre wash...steam jeanie/pressure washer
frame cleaner...meguiars super degreaser
engine cleaner...meguiars super degreaser
body wash...meguiars gold class shampoo and conditioner
air dry...leaf blower/air compressor
clay...meguiars mild detailing clay
light swirls...meguiars #9
wax...meguiars nxt tech wax
wax...meguiars #26
glass...meguiars nxt glass cleaner
wheels...meguiars hot rims chrome cleaner
wheels and tips...meguiars all metal polish
frame/engine/tire dressing...meguiars hyper dressing
dash/doors...meguiars interior quick detailer
carpet...meguiars heavy duty carpet cleaner
seats...meguiars aloe cleaner and conditioner 2 bottle system.

I am a meguiars fan, many others offer great products too. Find what you like best and make good use of it.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Products don't cause swirls... it's technique.

Before you change any product (well, I take that back, you REALLY need to get a good car shampoo), you need to get your technique in line.

Simple things like washing from the top down towards the bottom... having a dedicated high-pile 100% cotton or sheepskin mitt that is used for painted areas not exposed to high levels of grit/grime and one that is dedicated to the areas that have high grit and grime (ie: wells, wheels, etc)... two or three bucket methods... changing your water frequently....

The list can go on an on.... you really need to get technique right first and foremost. Just because you're HAND WASHING doesn't mean you're not going to introduce problems to your paint.

Trust me... as a professional detailer by weekend and geologist by weekday, I can tell you that it's MUCH easier to try to lessen the introduction of swirls and other paint problems to your paint than it is to try to remove them.

I suggest that you do some hardcore reading on a few websites... this one being one of them. Our detailing forum is among the best on the net (believe that or not)... we have several guys that frequent it that are PROFESSIONALS and know their stuff, inside and out, when it comes to detailing and the products, techniques, and tips that go along with the field.

Other sites you should investigate are www.detailcity.com, autopia.org, meguiarsonline.com...

Feel free to ask more specific questions about this topic as the one that you've asked is pretty open ended. Products are like underwear... you need to find a couple that you like and keep using them / wearing them. Some like briefs, some boxers, some g-strings, some boxer briefs....

The bottom line is getting your technique and prep work right... any Joe-Blow can smack a coat of wax on a vehicle and make it pop... it takes a true enthusiast to go through the technique and prep work to make it stand out from the rest.

There is **NO** silver bullet in the detailing field. If there was, you'd never see another professional detailer. Period.

RP

Old 12-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Wow..RED LARIAT, now thats a list. I've heard meguiars is the best. Didnt even know they had so many different cleaners. Looks like I gotta run down to autozone and pick out some christmas presents
RP thanks for the links..i gotta change my technique it seems, i've been taken the easy route

Last edited by Devin4X4; 12-04-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by CrAz3D
On average, how long does it take you to wash/wax your truck RockPick & 04 Lariat?

How dirty is it? Average? Bad?

Old 12-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Suspended
I use NXT and it does wonders.

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Moderator &

Average from street use, maybe dust from dirt road driving.
3 hours minimum. Be reminded though, black is a beyotch.

Typically is done two or three times per week year round.

RP

Old 12-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Moderator &

2-3 times a week!?...ful wash & wax?...wow, that takes commitment

No no no no... that's just a wash... no wax.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:31 PM
I usually wash mine every week and full detail monthly.

My full deal takes around 14 hours, but I am slow and like to stop for beverages, take pics, fool with the radio etc.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:37 PM
How long does your wash amount to?...45 minutes?
2 or 3 hours. Most of mine is prep time to be able to wash with out scratching. We have severe road dirt/mud from coal trucks here, so I spend alot of time on the frame, wheel wells etc.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Like RP said...reducing the self inflicted swirls is more critical in removing them. If you don't have the correct technique then you will be polishing out swirls often. I really like the poorboys products as well as optimum polish. Now that I think about it, menzerna has some great stuff also. Lets just say I have many $$$$$ in different products. Detailing is a hobby for me so I try out alot of different stuff. As far as wax goes, I really LOVE Collinite Insulator Wax. A good sealant like 4Star UPP is great as well to go under the wax or even use it by itself. Great paint protector.

I also use a California duster daily (unless there is more than daily dust). I use a wheel sealant on the rims. Makes brake dust removal very easy. I really love the Poorboys trim restorer for by interior and exterior trim. A little goes a long way.

RP gave you some good websites. I use those often to learn of new products and new techniques. One thing I would definitely get is the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher and some foam pads. Makes life much easier with exceptional results.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Car cleaning products(wax etc)