2004 - 2008 F-150

Tell me why... relocate upper control arm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me why... relocate upper control arm?

Ok Im almost positive theres some obvious reason why it cant be done and Im sure someone has already thought of it anyways but why cant you simply lower the control arm location to fix the coil rubbing issue and the extreme angles? All it looks like is you could simply drill two holes on the frame an inch or so lower than the original.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Why dont you just buy aftermarket UCA instead of drilling in your frame ?

Old 11-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Mainly because Ive never found one.... got any links or phone numbers as to where?

Old 11-24-2005, 01:41 PM
That hole is there for a reason.....the entire suspention travel is designed to work within it's range and keep alignment angles right with the position that that thing is in. If you put it lower than it is designed, who knows what might happen. It could bind up, and you'd probably never get the front end to align properly. It really just isn't that simple and is probably dangerous to do something like that.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Can someone say voided warranty?

X2 you would end up with major alignment issues. You would have a ton of negative camber (i believe). You tires would look like this : \ / Which will also lead to dangerous tire wear, increased ball joint stress and wear, possibly even a rougher ride.

Dont do it.

And if you insist on doing it you will need to get a shorter upper control arm to get you back to true and alligned.
-Patrick

Old 11-24-2005, 01:49 PM
I had the same problem with mine.The only right fix I know of, is to buy coilovers.I was going to use a ball joint spacer on my uca so the angle was better and the arm wouldn't hit the coil.
Rubbing problem

Problem solver

Old 11-25-2005, 01:24 AM
Old 11-25-2005, 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by JasonSDCA
Please note if you go this route that your wheel backspacing must be 4.5" or less.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how a coil-over corrects the angle of the UCA. Hell, even the picture of the aftermarket UCA shows the UCA at an odd angle. The only solution is a real lift... period.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:30 PM
I think the only true and reasonable fix woulld be replacement knuckles that were a couple of inches longer. I am new to the lift thing, but to me, this appears to be the only thing keeping everyone from building their own lift (i.e. no option to simply purchase aftermarket knuckles with various sizes/lengths).

Old 11-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I was really intending to do this but I was just trying to gain some knowledge. I know other vehicles have upper control arm relocation brackets and such and was curious what makes this truck different and honestly I dont quite understand the physics behind it all but thats why I ask. Thanks again!

Old 11-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Coilovers don't fix the problem. Spacers are just cheap coilovers. Both of these types of lift will also cause premature wear on your front cv axles and boots.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by treatcg
Coilovers don't fix the problem. Spacers are just cheap coilovers. Both of these types of lift will also cause premature wear on your front cv axles and boots.
Depends on the problem...if your problem is the UCA hitting the coils, then installing Donahoe (or King I imagine) adjustable coilovers will prevent that and provide a better ride quality as the shock dampening has been adjusted for the changed CV axle and control arm angles.

If your worry is just cv axle angle, then I agree, a lift kit is necessary to keep stock angles.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by garscott
Depends on the problem...if your problem is the UCA hitting the coils, then installing Donahoe (or King I imagine) adjustable coilovers will prevent that and provide a better ride quality as the shock dampening has been adjusted for the changed CV axle and control arm angles.

If your worry is just cv axle angle, then I agree, a lift kit is necessary to keep stock angles.

I think you guys are nuts! I am going to relocate the UCA!

Michael

Old 05-27-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will definitely change the camber on tires if you relocate but it's not a bad idea. I already ripped my UCA boot (go figure) from one of my adventures I'm sure. Those Chaos UCA's are nice, but it will put you in the hole $900 or so. If I jumped my truck it might be worth doing but you still have the $900 price tag, eek.

Quick Reply: Tell me why... relocate upper control arm?