2004 - 2008 F-150

6" fabtech + 2.5" AUTOSPRING????

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why I say not to go with spacers and a suspension lift. Here's what I ran into on my truck(6" pro comp, 2.5" daystar p.o.s. spacers, and 3" body lift)
Problem-
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...4x4/515172.jpg

Solution-
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...4x4/523983.jpg

Old 11-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Does anyone know if the Dirt Logic C/Os would work on the Rancho lift?
I don't see why not...still bolts to factory location. Measure yours and I'll measure my coilovers tomorrow. The only way it wouldn't, would be the length I'm thinking (4" vs 6" lift).

Old 11-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Suspended
MMM! I love Procomp's top hat design!

I'd measure mine but my truck is about 30 miles away at the dealership!

. . . but yeah if you can measure that it'd help out a lot.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
kelmvor

Can you take a picture directly from the rear and the front? In your gallery, in the side profile picture it kind of looks like your exhaust is messed up?
Haha - it WAS messed up. The pipes got stuck in the leaf springs after i hit a bump and it bent them pretty good and i just cut them all off and now have no pipes after the muffler...all's good that ends good

Oh and as far as 4x2's with spacers? I dunno, maybe..LOL

Here is the mechanical side of it (spacers that is)
It's hard to describe but i'll try..

When you put the spacer in the coilover, you effectively change the angle of the A-arm on each side of the knuckle.

i.e you go from
__
|
---

to
__
/
---
(W=wheel)
Now i know this is way more than it really is, but this is basicly what it's doing.
Everything is shifting down, thus "lifting" the suspension.
But the problem is that the coil spring and the various control arms that are in between the tire, knuckle, a-arm and coilover have very little room.
The spacer will effectively cause you to have rub issues at the very least, and at worst serious binding or damage leading to eventual fatigue failure of certain parts.

Is this for certain? not at all. Is this going to happen quick? Probably not. Could you go 6 months without problems? Sure. Did it happen to me? Yes. And my local dealership happily enjoyed my bring the truck in for THOUSANDS in repairs. I.e all new CVs, boots, rack and pinion, control arms..ETC.

Last edited by kelmvor; 11-04-2005 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by extremeford4x4
This is why I say not to go with spacers and a suspension lift. Here's what I ran into on my truck(6" pro comp, 2.5" daystar p.o.s. spacers, and 3" body lift)
Problem-
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...4x4/515172.jpg

Solution-
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...4x4/523983.jpg
Of course it wont work with a spacer on top of a spacer.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by kelmvor
Haha - it WAS messed up. The pipes got stuck in the leaf springs after i hit a bump and it bent them pretty good and i just cut them all off and now have no pipes after the muffler...all's good that ends good

Oh and as far as 4x2's with spacers? I dunno, maybe..LOL

Here is the mechanical side of it (spacers that is)
It's hard to describe but i'll try..

When you put the spacer in the coilover, you effectively change the angle of the A-arm on each side of the knuckle.

i.e you go from
__
|
---

to
__
/
---
(W=wheel)
Now i know this is way more than it really is, but this is basicly what it's doing.
Everything is shifting down, thus "lifting" the suspension.
But the problem is that the coil spring and the various control arms that are in between the tire, knuckle, a-arm and coilover have very little room.
The spacer will effectively cause you to have rub issues at the very least, and at worst serious binding or damage leading to eventual fatigue failure of certain parts.

Is this for certain? not at all. Is this going to happen quick? Probably not. Could you go 6 months without problems? Sure. Did it happen to me? Yes. And my local dealership happily enjoyed my bring the truck in for THOUSANDS in repairs. I.e all new CVs, boots, rack and pinion, control arms..ETC.
Again...I'll say DONT do it on a 4x4...but, it will work on a 4x2...no CV axles to worry about.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Of course it wont work with a spacer on top of a spacer.
Thanks for letting me know.At the time it was the only thing I could do to clear 38's when nobody had coilovers available.I had one of the first pro comp kits on my truck.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by extremeford4x4
Thanks for letting me know.At the time it was the only thing I could do to clear 38's when nobody had coilovers available.I had one of the first pro comp kits on my truck.
That sucks it happened...but, how do you like those DLs? How far do you have them cranked down?

Old 11-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Sorry bro I didn't mean to come off as a smart a s s.The dl's rode great and were worth the $800 that they charge for them.I don't know how true this is but I was told that fox makes them.The pro comp coilovers aren't as nice.I wanted to try it with another leveling kit like the autospring that moves the mount down but my cv shafts would be at terrible angles.I didn't mess with adjusting the dl's either.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:19 PM
No worries. You should read the link I posted earlier in this thread. That's the first I heard that Fox makes the DLs, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Old 11-05-2005, 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by -TXF150-
Nice meeting you the other night.

The reason why I was complimenting adding the spacers and blocks is because I was at hovley today checking out the banks monster exhaust on a white 06 FX4 which had the 8.5" cst on it, and I really liked the height that it had. Craig said that it wouldnt be a problem adding the spacers and the blocks. It was a FIESTA truck also, so you prolly know which one im talking about. Do you think I should do the pocket flares? I really like the way they look.
I saw that truck at work today. It looks sweet all monotone like that. I love that lift too. Thats kind of what I wanna do with mine. Craig wouldn't steer you in the wrong direction, he's a pretty smart guy. Later..

Old 11-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is how I look right now. I really dont think I will have any issues adding the spacers and blocks. What do you guys think??

Old 11-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by -TXF150-
This is how I look right now. I really dont think I will have any issues adding the spacers and blocks. What do you guys think??

Chris...I'd think you would be alright. You have a 4x2...the ONLY reason I didn't do it (and I briefly did) is because I have a 4x4, the CV angles were way to much. Plus, do it...if it doesn't work...it's easier to take the spacers out than putting them in.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:02 AM
Chris... Did you ever put the spacers in? If so, please take some close-up pics of the upper control arm clearence with the coil spring. Is the UCA rubbing against the spring?

Old 12-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Suspended
I'll be addng the 1-1/2" Autospring spacer pretty soon. I don't see any problems with doing so, my CV angles are exactly like they were stock. Its going to be to the same effect as if I was adding a leveling kit to a totally stock truck.

Quick Reply: 6" fabtech + 2.5" AUTOSPRING????