2004 - 2008 F-150

It's a love/hate relationship...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Sounds like your "friends" need to respect your truck a little more.
Im with you, sounds like someone never installed them right and than never RE-INSTALLED them right.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Well, it's off at the end of the week to let them have another stab at it and replace this one. Wish me luck.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by RED WING NUT
Might I suggest you slap these idiots as hard as they must be slapping your vents.
what he said, i have never had a problem whatsoever w/ these vents...

Old 11-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Well, took the truck to the dealership yesterday...he looked at my list of items to be repaired and said "Holy Sh*t!! What have you been doing to this thing?" My reply was "Breaking it in." Here's my list of aggravations...let's see how many get fixed...

1. Replace the broken A/C vent (as noted in this thread)
2. Cig lighter doesn't work
3. Radio antenae loose
4. Water leak in the rear around the third brake light
- As a result, carpet stinks and have seen puddles behind my subwoofer
after severe rain storms.
5. Drivetrain clunks at slow speeds generally in heavy traffic between 15 and
25 MPH on Decel to Accel
6. Engine sounds like a diesel...unless you can slap a diesel in it and give me some more tow power...get rid of the stinking noise.
7. Rear end whines like a wild dog on a rope
8. Power sliding rear glass intermittently will not respond to the switch
9. Mild clunk or bump in the tranny when hitting shift point at 45mph or so
10. Emergency brakes stick after release shaking the entire truck for a while until they open up a bit.

There were several more things on the list...I just can't remember the others off the top of my head. Going to pick the truck up at the dealership in an hour or so. I'm anxious to see what's been done to it. Dealer said he would need it back next week to finish everything...I figure this is perfect, I can test out what they have fixed so far and let them know if they did a decent job or not next week when I return it. I've never bought an extended warranty before, but with all the bags full of repairs that's had to be done to this truck, I'm afraid not to now...

EDIT: PS. Thanks to all of you guys on this site sharing your issues and fixes. Some of the items above I had not even noticed as a problem until reading this forum and realizing I had the same issues. Been here for about a month or less now and learned more about my truck than I have in the 2 full years of owning it. Thanks Again!

Last edited by DeadEye 04; 11-11-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by DeadEye 04

1. Replace the broken A/C vent (as noted in this thread)
2. Cig lighter doesn't work
3. Radio antenae loose
4. Water leak in the rear around the third brake light
- As a result, carpet stinks and have seen puddles behind my subwoofer
after severe rain storms.
5. Drivetrain clunks at slow speeds generally in heavy traffic between 15 and
25 MPH on Decel to Accel
6. Engine sounds like a diesel...unless you can slap a diesel in it and give me some more tow power...get rid of the stinking noise.
7. Rear end whines like a wild dog on a rope
8. Power sliding rear glass intermittently will not respond to the switch
9. Mild clunk or bump in the tranny when hitting shift point at 45mph or so
10. Emergency brakes stick after release shaking the entire truck for a while until they open up a bit.
Status: Picked up the truck late last night, drove about a mile or so to Denny's. When I cranked up the truck to leave and put it in reverse it gave a hard clunk. From there the tranny started slipping like I was on grease and coasting at 30 MPH or less the rear end was grinding. The tech musta left his cat in the gearbox. Above 30MPH it smoothed out and drove like a dream.

Update on the other stuff:
1. A/C Vent replace
2. Cig. Lighter replaced - with one that doesn't fit, and looks like it came from a datsun.
3. Antenae tight
4. I guess they fixed the leak, there is some sort of black epoxy all over the third brake light, the paint...I can't scratch off with fingernail..
5. still clunks. Nothing done here.
6. I'm not sure what they did here, but it sounds like a gas engine for once.
7. Whine Gone. Dog removed, cat replaced.
8. New sliding glass switch on order
9. still clunks. Nothing done here.
10. Don't know about this one...haven't tested it yet.

I asked them to reflash the PCM to an updated software version. The truck has the original software from 08/2003. They said "no".

Once they fix the rear end growl and tranny slippage, I'll be visiting another dealership for repair. Should I just go to another dealership now and have them fix this instead of taking it back to the same one?

DE '04

Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Well, I know you're tired of seeing this thread come to the front of the line, but just so I can say I posted the results of the fix, here it is...

The pinion gear in the rear was causing the initial whine (wild dog on a rope). They replaced it, but did a sloppy job, and on the way home from the dealership something broke inside the diff. I parked it, brought it back on Monday along with the rest of my complaints....Here is what happened after that...They immediatly handed me the keys to a rental car first of all! Replaced the rear end after the damage from the improperly installed pinion gear. Reflashed the PCM to work out some of the shifting problems, replaced the little toy cigar lighter with an OEM lighter made for men. To top it off, they did a bunch of stuff I didn't even ask for, for instance, they cleaned the truck inside and out and waxed it...Yes, I said WAXED it! Gave it a complete alignment, replaced the serpentine belt (because it whined once when they started the engine) and checked the entire vehicle for anything else that they have heard of on the new body style F-150 as being a problem. When I got it back, I was in love again....

By the way, the re-flash is amazing. I can't beleive the difference in overall performance. Needless to say, I am sold, and I know where I am getting my next Ford.

Last edited by DeadEye 04; 11-17-2005 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: It's a love/hate relationship...