2004 - 2008 F-150

How to Install Viper 791XV or pay who to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll read the instructions tomorrow and think it over the weekend. Can I contact you Chris if I have particular questions?

Thanks again,

Duke

Old 10-15-2005, 01:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
tweeter quoted me $220 for the install. It included the installation of the 791XV, proximity sensor, 2 micro piezo alarms, and the battery backup alarm.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by -TXF150-
tweeter quoted me $220 for the install. It included the installation of the 791XV, proximity sensor, 2 micro piezo alarms, and the battery backup alarm.

Now you are talking 'makes sense price' there.
Ask them before you drop a buck how they fasten the wires. Ford/Powercode/Viper recomend striping the wire back, pushing the new wire into a spread in the stripped wire, then wrapping. Lots of places like to use the quick connect.
My truck the dealer used quick connects on a keyless that I had them remove. The extra time for the proper strip/spread/wrap is worth it, especially if you are paying someone.

Just for the record though, both methods will work, and lots of good shops use the connectors.
But again, if you have a choice, go with strip/spread/wrap.
Chris

Old 10-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
I'll read the instructions tomorrow and think it over the weekend. Can I contact you Chris if I have particular questions?

Thanks again,

Duke
I'm gonna be in and out mostly out, this weekend. E-mail if you have any questions, but remember, while I've done this lots of times on other cars/trucks, I've only done it three times on the new model, and that's not enough to memorize everything. At least not at my age...
Chris

Old 10-15-2005, 01:28 PM
I just got a quote for $250 to install the code alarm system. I just dont think it would be worth it for that price. What do you think?

Old 10-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by countyboy04
I just got a quote for $250 to install the code alarm system. I just dont think it would be worth it for that price. What do you think?
Ive got to install a dishwasher, but post up the wiring color codes for the code alarm system and i will match them to the truck. Because all you will be doing is "tapping into" the location.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra
Ive got to install a dishwasher, but post up the wiring color codes for the code alarm system and i will match them to the truck. Because all you will be doing is "tapping into" the location.
Here are the wires that I will need to "tap" into. Taken from the instructions:

MAIN IGNITION INPUT/OUTPUT:
MAIN ACCESSORY INPUT/OUTPUT:
STARTER INTERRUPT INPUT/OUTPUT:
PARKING LIGHTS OUTPUT:
BRAKE LIGHTS INPUT:
DOOR LOCK/UNLOCK OUTPUTS:
OPEN DOOR TRIGGER and/or ILLUMINATED ENTRY:
HORN OUTPUT:
CONSTANT POWER:

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Here are the wires that I will need to "tap" into. Taken from the instructions:

MAIN IGNITION INPUT/OUTPUT:
MAIN ACCESSORY INPUT/OUTPUT:
STARTER INTERRUPT INPUT/OUTPUT:
PARKING LIGHTS OUTPUT:
BRAKE LIGHTS INPUT:
DOOR LOCK/UNLOCK OUTPUTS:
OPEN DOOR TRIGGER and/or ILLUMINATED ENTRY:
HORN OUTPUT:
CONSTANT POWER:

Thanks.
If Asinatra doesn’t have a chance to get back to you, the info you want is on page 253-264 of the downloadable file

04_05MY_ITRM_82504.pdf

But here are the matching wires;

MAIN IGNITION INPUT/OUTPUT:------ Ignition (BLUE/GREEN)steering column harness
MAIN ACCESSORY INPUT/OUTPUT: I see this on the diagram as acc/Heater (BLACK/LT. GREEN)
STARTER INTERRUPT INPUT/OUTPUT:------- Starter (RED/BLUE) steering column harness
PARKING LIGHTS OUTPUT:---------------------- Parking lights (BROWN) says in column, but mine was under kickpanel
BRAKE LIGHTS INPUT: ---------------------------------------Brake light (LT GREEN) steering column harness
DOOR LOCK/UNLOCK OUTPUTS: Door Lock (PINK/YELLOW) in DRIVER PANEL
Door Unlock (PINK/GREEN) in DRIVER SIDE KICK PANEL
OPEN DOOR TRIGGER and/or ILLUMINATED ENTRY:dome light trigger/Door Ajar Dome Light (BLACK/BLUE in DRIVER SIDE KICK PANEL
HORN OUTPUT: ------------------- Horn (BLUE) steering column harness
CONSTANT POWER: (LT. GREEN/VIOLET) steering column harness

Chris

Last edited by ChrisAdams; 10-15-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
If Asinatra doesn’t have a chance to get back to you, the info you want is on page 253-264 of the downloadable file

04_05MY_ITRM_82504.pdf

But here are the matching wires;

MAIN IGNITION INPUT/OUTPUT:------ Ignition (BLUE/GREEN)steering column harness
MAIN ACCESSORY INPUT/OUTPUT: I see this on the diagram as acc/Heater (BLACK/LT. GREEN)
STARTER INTERRUPT INPUT/OUTPUT:------- Starter (RED/BLUE) steering column harness
PARKING LIGHTS OUTPUT:---------------------- Parking lights (BROWN) says in column, but mine was under kickpanel
BRAKE LIGHTS INPUT: ---------------------------------------Brake light (LT GREEN) steering column harness
DOOR LOCK/UNLOCK OUTPUTSoor Lock (PINK/YELLOW) in DRIVER PANEL
Door Unlock (PINK/GREEN) in DRIVER SIDE KICK PANEL
OPEN DOOR TRIGGER and/or ILLUMINATED ENTRY:dome light trigger/Door Ajar Dome Light (BLACK/BLUE in DRIVER SIDE KICK PANEL
HORN OUTPUT: ------------------- Horn (BLUE) steering column harness
CONSTANT POWER: (LT. GREEN/VIOLET) steering column harness

Chris

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:26 PM
i have that exact alarm.i did it myself.you will have to get a bypass for the remote start to work.i wired mine up with a battery back up as well.it was actually very easy to install.i really took mi time and hid every thing.even if you look under the hood you would not see or be able to even get to the siren.if you look under the dash,there are no wires exposed,none.looks factory except for the blue flashing led.
id give you more details but its the net and who knows who is reading this.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:36 PM
I don't know anything about a battery back up, what is that?

Old 10-16-2005, 02:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know anything about a battery back up, what is that?
It is a siren that has a battery on it, so if they cut the wires to the siren to shut it off, it will still sound.

Old 10-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Where can you get a battery backup? Also where would you put it?

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the driver's kick panel? Is that the wall near the emergency parking brake?

Are the wires that come with the Viper 791XV long enough to go from the steering column and door all the way to the engine bay (which is where I'm assuming you put the brain and the horn). Also, where and how would you feed those to the engine bay?

Can you use the factory light in the dash without having to install that other light?

Thanks,

Duke

Old 10-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Where can you get a battery backup? Also where would you put it?
Under the hood. You could build one yourself with a diode, and some NiCad’s or NMH batteries. I think it is overkill unless you live near TJ, or have poor insurance.

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the driver's kick panel? Is that the wall near the emergency parking brake?

When Powercode refers to kick-panel they are talking about the one by the e-brake. The one your knee hits is not mentioned, but you do remove that to get at the column wires.

You can pop off the rectangular plastic thingy the e-brake handle passes through, pull up the runner (plastic thing that runs along between the kick-panel and the rear, and then pull it out. Takes a little fiddling but then it pops out. A huge amount of wires run behind the e-brake. Be sure to have black tape and a few wire ties (good ones) handy.
Don't route anything where the wire is pulled tight or is binding, or interferes with things.

Are the wires that come with the Viper 791XV long enough to go from the steering column and door all the way to the engine bay (which is where I'm assuming you put the brain and the horn). Also, where and how would you feed those to the engine bay?
Several choices, one is the big black grommet below the master cylinder. You can pop the grommet out and put a hole in it.
You can push something like a piece of coat hanger through it into the sound proofing under the carpet, and through that or above it. With the chunk of thick wire (coat hanger?) sticking into the area above the pedals, you tightly tape the wires you want to send into the engine compartment (only the siren wire unless you are putting a hood switch on it,) to the coat hanger, then pull the wire through from the engine bay, dragging the wires through. That way you only need a very small hole in the insulation and grommet.

Do NOT forget to put a fender cover, old towel, blanket, on the fender when working under the hood. This truck is tall, and you will be hanging over it a lot.

Can you use the factory light in the dash without having to install that other light?
If you mean the one on top no

If you mean another light, I wouldn’t know. My truck had no light, but putting a small LED in the plastic somewhere is no problem.
You can even put it in the kick panel, or the panel under the steering. It’s mostly to bluff the thieves, and they never believe it anyway. It also will flash to tell you which sector have been tampered with if, say, someone rocks the truck.

Chris

Old 10-16-2005, 06:06 PM
http://www.drdetailshop.com/deiinstallguides.htm Instuction to install a Viper 791xv

Quick Reply: How to Install Viper 791XV or pay who to do it?