2004 - 2008 F-150

Should I shave my tailgate?

Old 10-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I shave my tailgate?

So here's what im thinking. I put a nasty scratch in my tailgate, and it will need re-painted. Its black, so I don't have to working about it matching the sides, So I will sand out every little scratch, and re-prime/paint entire gate. I work in a body shop as a painter, so there's no problem there, and I can have one of my body men do all the sanding/stripping/mudding...no problem there either. What I was thinking was since I have to remove the big ol' ford emblem off the gate, why not just shave it smooth. I have faith that my tech can weld in a 3"x6" patch without making it wavy, but would it look stock and clean to the average eye? I don't want someone to be behind me at a stop light and go to his buddy... "Look at that shaven tail gate." I would also remove the f-150 emblem...

Does anyone have any ideas? Do you think my idea would look good? Yes? No? I need opinions. I would like to get this started next week. Its easy for me, because I can just take off the gate, and leave it at work, while I do whatever Im going to do to it.

Suggestions please

Old 10-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Should look good if done right. Do it and post pics. It would look better on some trucks than others, a totally stock truck with a shaved tailgate kinda seems silly to me though. What I'm saying is...post a pic of your truck.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The huge Ford emblem is obnoxious, but without it many people may confuse your truck for a Dodge from behind.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:35 PM
but without it many people may confuse your truck for a Dodge from behind
Someone who can't tell the difference between a square boxed rear end of a F150 compared to a dodge wouldn't likely even notice that the ford emblem was missing. But man, that would be kind of insulting though

Old 10-06-2005, 09:44 PM
DO IT!

It'll look awesome

Old 10-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
Should look good if done right. Do it and post pics. It would look better on some trucks than others, a totally stock truck with a shaved tailgate kinda seems silly to me though. What I'm saying is...post a pic of your truck.

Right now its just a stock black Scab Larriat. However.... I am saving for a suspension lift and 35's. But money is tight right now, and may take a few months before i purchase, but thats becides the point

I think there are a few mods you can do without making it look tacky..but still keeping it clean. Yeah, from the side view, it will look stock... not completly clean, (those boxy f-150 logos need to come off the fenders) but right now I dont have the time to do all that at once, however, in the future, those will be off too. I do like the 4X4 sticker on the bed for some reason tho.

I dont know, it might look silly if it was completly shaven, but Ill be keeping the handle on the outside, unless someone can change my mind about that one too.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Well, if your going to weld in a piece of metal for the emblem, (and I think as long as the bodyman doesn't get it too hot, it shouldn't warp, besides mud is your friend ) Why not go ahead and shave the handle as well? Like you said, you won't have to blend since its black, I say go for it!!

Old 10-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by cwelk150
Well, if your going to weld in a piece of metal for the emblem, (and I think as long as the bodyman doesn't get it too hot, it shouldn't warp, besides mud is your friend ) Why not go ahead and shave the handle as well? Like you said, you won't have to blend since its black, I say go for it!!
cave it and pave it.... lol,

Does anyone know how to re-locate a gate handle to the inside? From what I thought, there is an acess plate inside (in bed) that can be removed, in order to get inside to your handle from behind, and if you relocate it to the back, wouldnt you need that plate on the other side, which would be on the exterior now??? if that makes sence?

Old 10-06-2005, 10:16 PM
someone on here has it done (all shaved), I think his is yellow but I can't remember his screen name.

If anything, just remove the F150 emblem and call it a day...

They do have handle relocation kits, do an internet search. There should be an 04+F150 application by now.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by brently
cave it and pave it.... lol,

Does anyone know how to re-locate a gate handle to the inside? From what I thought, there is an acess plate inside (in bed) that can be removed, in order to get inside to your handle from behind, and if you relocate it to the back, wouldnt you need that plate on the other side, which would be on the exterior now??? if that makes sence?
No that just sounds dumb. Your just going to cut a hole in that plate and installer the handle, weld a filler peice on the outside, grind, bomdo...

Old 10-06-2005, 10:18 PM
This is from this thread looks good to me https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=213668

Old 10-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Well, here's what I was thinking. Someone makes an actuator that you can fab up inside the gate to work like a trunk popper in a car, hide a switch under the bedrail and your install is 100% slickified (I just made that word up). If you're feeling lucky, find an old door in the junk pile out back and you could swipe the power door lock actuator out of it.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra
No that just sounds dumb. Your just going to cut a hole in that plate and installer the handle, weld a filler peice on the outside, grind, bomdo...

Edit:

It just clicked in my head. Install the handle on the bed side first, then weld it shut.... The only down side is if you ever need to remove the handle, you would have to cut it out. But why would I ever need to remove the handle again?? I dont see any other reason.

Keep the ideas coming.... any more pictures?

BTW: that yellow truck looks very nice.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:46 PM
...then weld it shut...
I wouldn't weld it. You know that if you do that, something will break in the linkage or something and you will have to access it. Murphy's law right?

Old 10-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Suspended
Personally, I don't like it unless its on a lowered truck but thats just my opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I shave my tailgate?