F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   UnderCover roll call! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/212070-undercover-roll-call.html)

ToddziLLa 09-19-2005 09:38 PM

UnderCover roll call!

Hey folks,

I have changed my mind from getting the TruXedo Lo-Pro to the UnderCover. The cheapest I have found was $599 delivered...is that a pretty good deal?

Also, to those of you who own them, how do you like them so far? Have you experienced any rattles either on bumpy roads or at highway speeds? Did you install it yourself? Of course the manufacturer says it is easy to remove, but just how easy and how much time does it take for one person to do it? I searched through a lot of threads and didn't come up with what I was looking for.

Sorry for so many questions...just want to get all the info before I order! :D

kd4crs 09-19-2005 10:23 PM

I love mine. $575.00 installed. You really need 2 people to take it off. My wife and I can take mine off in about 3 minutes. It's really strong, I can get up on it and wash the roof of the truck. It dosn't rattle and it helps cure the bed shakes. :thumbsup:

vader716 09-19-2005 11:43 PM

Had mine for about a year and a half. Still looks great. Never had water get in the bed even when washing the truck. Very strong. I stand on it to wash roof, kids and wife sit on it for tailgating. I agree with kd4crs, it is really a two person job to remove but only because of bulk. It is light. I have removed mine by myself when necessary. Install is quick and easy, dont pay extra for it.

I made one mod to mine. It comes with basic rings (like for your keys) to secure it near the cab. I drilled the holes out a little and put two small black pad locks on. Not really for security but it sure is easier to remove then splitting those rings.

Highly recommend it.

LosBanosF150 09-20-2005 06:28 AM

I also have an undercover. I think it looks pretty. Especially since my truck is gray with black trim. It looked like a hot rod from the back when it had the raked look. Since I got the leveling kit, it looks like a regular bedcover. Also very strong, especially since I weigh 210 lbs, and can stand on top of it to wash my roof as well. I can put it on by myself, but taking it off and putting it on is definitely much easier with a second person, since it really doesn't weigh much at all. The only downside to the design is how the cover is secured near the cab. They give you these cheesy keyring type rings to secure the front. I reamed it out and put some small suitcase padlocks, not because the padlocks make it only a tad bit more secure, but the padlocks have a thicker piece of metal that won't bend. Good luck with your decision.
:thumbsup:

cscoios 09-20-2005 07:09 AM

Another vote for Undercover. :thumbsup:

I've had mine for a couple months and its great. As stated above, removal really is a two person job, only because of the bulk of the Undercover. Very sturdy and I've never had water in the bed or on my Bedrug. I also got rid of the cheesy rings at the bulkhead and bought some small carabiners from REI. This makes it much easier to remove when needed.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...542-126456.jpg

vader716 09-20-2005 09:02 AM

Geez how big did you ream out the holes for the carabiners? Are they really small? I looked for some but they were all too big so I went with locks.

cscoios 09-20-2005 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by vader716
Geez how big did you ream out the holes for the carabiners? Are they really small? I looked for some but they were all too big so I went with locks.

Vader - REI has these little mini carabiners for about $2 each (located on the key chain rack at the front of the store). I barely bored out the holes to make them big enough. Anyway, makes it real easy to get the top on/off.

ThumperMX113 09-20-2005 09:34 AM

One quick question, does dirt ever get inside the bed with it on? Another thing Im worried about is dirt getting lodged between the bed cover and the paint. My last question, how much do they weigh?

cscoios 09-20-2005 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
One quick question, does dirt ever get inside the bed with it on? Another thing Im worried about is dirt getting lodged between the bed cover and the paint. My last question, how much do they weigh?

1- Dirt, nor water ever get inside the bed. The Undercover has a rubber seal along the bed rail track. Also at the bulkhead is a rubber flap that overhangs preventing environmentals from entering.

2- The Undercover just barely overhangs the bedrails for a nice uniform fit. No worry about dirt affecting the paint.

3- I think they weigh more than the advertised 65lbs.?.? I have taken the Undercover off by myself, but it wasn't fun. Both the wife and I have no problem putting on/off with two people.

ThumperMX113 09-20-2005 10:14 AM

I want one just for the fact that someone said it got rid of bed shake a little but I'd be taking it off and putting it back on too much..maybe a toolbox will do the same thing?

ToddziLLa 09-20-2005 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. Wonder if there is an online merchant with those small carabiners?

Also if anyone can e-mail me a cheaper place than $599 shipped (to a commercial address), please do!

dzervit 09-20-2005 03:59 PM

Biggest damn trunk I've ever had! $550-ish installed, special price with Bedrug combo from local truck accessory shop...

http://home.comcast.net/~tlevensky/F150/bedrug.jpg

Bluejay 09-20-2005 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by dzervit
Biggest damn trunk I've ever had! $550-ish installed, special price with Bedrug combo from local truck accessory shop...

http://home.comcast.net/~tlevensky/F150/bedrug.jpg

And do you too stand on it to wash your truck? :D

ThumperMX113 09-20-2005 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by bluejay432000
And do you too stand on it to wash your truck? :D

Now that would be the TRUE test! If you do, I want pictures of it! Think about it dzervit, you could be a star. The spokesman for Undercover, the world's strongest bed cover! :thumbsup:

ToddziLLa 09-20-2005 04:08 PM

If it could hold me and/or dz I will buy stock in the company!!! :devil:

dzervit 09-20-2005 04:15 PM

I've stood on it before, thought close to the edge, not middle. 300lbs might be pushing it.

And I don't have to to wash the truck, but I did to clay/wax the top.

norman311 09-21-2005 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by ToddziLLa
Thanks for all the responses guys. Wonder if there is an online merchant with those small carabiners?

Also if anyone can e-mail me a cheaper place than $599 shipped (to a commercial address), please do!

Here's a picture of the carabiners I got on mine. Bought em from the REI store in Arcadia CA. Don't see them on the REI web site unfortunantly. I'm a very satisfied Undercover owner. https://www.f150online.com/galleries...216-127100.jpg

Grim 09-28-2005 11:11 PM

I have an undercover. I'm 205lbs and I've stood in the middle of it (Screw w/ 5.5' bed). Be sure you check your bolt torque every six months or so. If they vibrate loose, the cover can contact the side of the bed and leave a wear mark.

I do get dirt and water in my bed, but it is because the bed leaks a bit at the front corners.

Grim

Lizardking 09-29-2005 07:11 AM

How about a pic with the cover closed?

RWThrun 09-29-2005 08:19 AM

Painted Undercover

Any one paint their Undercover? Pictures?

I think I will be getting one here in the near future. Are they hard to install yourself? I don't live near a dealer, so I would need to do it myself.

Last question...Do you need to condition the top of the undercover with anything (vinyl protectant), or is it fine to set in the hot sun all the time?

vader716 09-29-2005 08:38 AM

I dont condition it, just wash it.

I've heard they are painted but UC doesnt recommend it. The finish would likely lead to flaking of the paint unless the really scuffed it up to get it to adhere. Well that's what they told me.

I left mine black and glad I did. Now I dont mind taking it off and leaning it against the house when I need my bed.

The install is a no brainer.....

minus_13 09-29-2005 08:39 AM

I could be way off base here, and it may be nothing close to what you are looking for, but for the price, I would also look at the roll-n-lock... They are two different animals, but both are worth a look nonetheless.

UfosBigRigsnBBQ 09-29-2005 12:28 PM

I've had mine for about 10 months, and got it because of all the raving I heard about them. Best investment I have done so far. :thumbsup: I agree also with everyone else, the little key rings at the cab of the truck are a terrible design, but I do like the carabiner idea. $650 installed. Hope it helps. :)

John from Flori 09-29-2005 12:32 PM

I spoke to Mark at Undercover today, and he said they are setting the mold for the undercover for the 05 F150 Flareside. Should be two weeks. They also redisgned the brackets.

chains350 09-29-2005 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by John from Flori
I spoke to Mark at Undercover today, and he said they are setting the mold for the undercover for the 05 F150 Flareside. Should be two weeks. They also redisgned the brackets.

That's great news. I've been waiting for over a year for them to complete the design for the flareside. I too contacted them just before Labor Day and was told within 60 days. Then again, I've been promised "60 days" just about every 60 days. I hope this time is different. :rolleyes:

captjoe06 09-29-2005 03:45 PM

Does it get hot under there?

I was thinking about getting one to do small deliveries of lobsters about 45 minute driving time. Does the undercover make the bed hot or insulate from the heat? If it makes the bed heat up then I definetly wouldn't be able to use it. Very impressed with its construction when I saw it at my local truck accesory shop.

ToddziLLa 09-29-2005 05:29 PM

Ordering mine later this week... :coffee:

I'm excited!

captjoe06 09-29-2005 08:59 PM

T-Zilla

T-Zilla, I'll be curious to see how well it fits with the Line-X. I'm having mine sprayed next Wednesday and just waiting to hear about heat issue before pulling the trigger myself.

ToddziLLa 09-29-2005 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by captjoe06
T-Zilla, I'll be curious to see how well it fits with the Line-X. I'm having mine sprayed next Wednesday and just waiting to hear about heat issue before pulling the trigger myself.

vader716 has Line-X w/UnderCover, I would assume there are no issues.

ToddziLLa 09-30-2005 05:21 PM

OK folks, time to help a fellow Ford brother out. Cheapest I found for an UnderCover shipped to a commerical address was $634. Does anyone know where I can get it cheaper? If so, please post here or just e-mail it to me.

kd4crs 09-30-2005 06:37 PM

Todzilla,

Look for a local dealer. I got mine for $575.00 installed at a Pickups Plus nearby. :fyi:

ToddziLLa 10-01-2005 02:20 PM

Well folks, I am the proud new owner of the UnderCover! I actually decided to have it installed locally at a truck shop in town -- the price was less than what it would have been shipped and it included the install, so I figured why not? So far I am very happy with it. Many more pics in my gallery.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...243-136978.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...243-136979.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...243-136980.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...243-136981.jpg

captjoe06 10-01-2005 03:42 PM

Looks great Todd. If you could, let me know if it gets hot under there in the sun.

ToddziLLa 10-03-2005 02:33 PM

I was thinking about getting one to do small deliveries of lobsters about 45 minute driving time. Does the undercover make the bed hot or insulate from the heat? If it makes the bed heat up then I definetly wouldn't be able to use it. Very impressed with its construction when I saw it at my local truck accesory shop.

Looks great Todd. If you could, let me know if it gets hot under there in the sun.

I think the UnderCover would be best for your transporting needs.

To say that inside your bed doesn't get hotter in the summer and colder in the winter would probably be a false statement, but I know due to the weather-tight rubber insulation that the UnderCover has, it would be much better than just having nothing.

On a seperate note, I love it so far! And lots of complements to boot! :banana:

kd4crs 10-03-2005 08:44 PM

toddzilla,

Watch those front corners on your undercover. A few folks (including me) have had to take the Dremel tool to them in order to keep them from gnawing on your bedsides and/or rail caps. It happens most often when the cover is heated from sitting still in the sun. The top layer expands more than the bottom and the edges curl in slightly. :fyi:

ToddziLLa 10-07-2005 08:37 AM

Would anyone happen to remember the length between the supplied bolts and hooks is to hang it up in my garage? If someone knew off hand and could save me a trip in there, it would be much appreciated! :devil:

norman311 10-07-2005 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ToddziLLa
Would anyone happen to remember the length between the supplied bolts and hooks is to hang it up in my garage? If someone knew off hand and could save me a trip in there, it would be much appreciated! :devil:

The holes on the undercover line up with the studs on your garage wall. Therefore you need exactly 32" on center between the hooks. I mounted the hooks on a 2x4 running horizontally on my wall to make it easier to see what your doing when your try to hang it.

ToddziLLa 10-07-2005 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by norman311
The holes on the undercover line up with the studs on your garage wall. Therefore you need exactly 32" on center between the hooks. I mounted the hooks on a 2x4 running horizontally on my wall to make it easier to see what your doing when your try to hang it.

Thanks...I may do the same!

04blkxlt 12-16-2005 08:43 PM

New Undercover installed

I know this thread is a lil old, but it helped me decied to buy my Undercover. Just had it installed 12/15/05. It has new locks and built in battery powered LED light. I got it locally after some shopping around $599 installed.

UfosBigRigsnBBQ 12-16-2005 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by 04blkxlt
I know this thread is a lil old, but it helped me decied to buy my Undercover. Just had it installed 12/15/05. It has new locks and built in battery powered LED light. I got it locally after some shopping around $599 installed.

locks and lights? Where are the Pics?????? :devil: