2004 - 2008 F-150

Changing Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cscoios
Nice write-up, Quintin.

Was there any noticeable difference in performance when you drove it home with the new plugs? You mentioned no abnormal wear or fouling, so didn't know if there would be any difference.
Thanks.

As far as any performance difference, nah, not really. I did a power balance test on it before and after just to see, I didn't notice any appreciable differences. I didn't have any running problems before either, so who knows. I filled up this evening on the way home, so if anything, I plan on trying to monitor fuel economy carefully for the next week or two to see if I gained anything there.

ETA - Regarding mileage and difficulty of removal, just from what I experienced today, I don't think I'd let plugs go past 60K tops. You might not like what you're in for with a high mileage plug change. I'm gonna check mine periodically since I added the anti seize to the insert and threaded portion, to see if it helps any.

Last edited by Quintin; 10-21-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about that anti-seize on the insert, you don’t think that might harder up and possibly make it worse? Did the dielectric grease get hard in the few days it was on?

Old 10-21-2005, 07:17 PM

I don't know. I plan on pulling a couple again after a couple more services, maybe around 35-40K miles to inspect. The dielectric grease was still slick though when I pulled 1 and 6.

ETA again: I almost forgot, I did the change while there was still a little heat in the engine. I dunno the exact number, but the heater and radiators hoses were still warm to the touch. I figured the heat might make things come apart a little easier, and there's enough thread and it's not a small pitch so I figured the chances of pulling the threads out the head while changing plugs while the engine was still semi warm was minimal.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Note to self...trade it before it needs plugs.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:48 PM
It's too bad the F150online forum doesn't have a "Member of the Month" award. If it did, I'd nominate Quintin for this month's award.. Great write up on the spark plugs. The award doesn't have to be money or anything, thought prizes are nice, but simply recognition for a job well done. Say something like a special area for F150online Member of the Month on the main page. I think I'll forward my idea to the webmaster.

Old 10-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Ordered a Ford F-150 Spark Plug Socket for $16.76 plus shipping. Looks like it will help make the job easier

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...qx/product.htm

Old 10-21-2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by norman311
It's too bad the F150online forum doesn't have a "Member of the Month" award. If it did, I'd nominate Quintin for this month's award.. Great write up on the spark plugs. The award doesn't have to be money or anything, thought prizes are nice, but simply recognition for a job well done. Say something like a special area for F150online Member of the Month on the main page. I think I'll forward my idea to the webmaster.
I take payment and rewards in cold beer... I hate working on my own stuff, probably comes from working with cars day in and day out, but someone's gotta be a guinea pig. I gotta do my mom's '05 Expedition soon too...pfft.
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
Ordered a Ford F-150 Spark Plug Socket for $16.76 plus shipping. Looks like it will help make the job easier
If the extension is no longer than 2-3", it should work out well. On #4, it's easiest to drop the socket/extension in the plug well by (looking as if you're facing the rear of the truck) going around the wiring harness/heater hoses, to the right of the lines going to the A/C accumulator. It's almost like poking through the middle of the A/C lines on the left and the heater hoses/wiring harnesses on the right. That socket's got a rubber insert in it too, so it should be somewhat easier on the plugs. Big thing is to make sure you get a good, straight pull on them with the socket well centered.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:06 PM
What’s Ford charge for plugs? I found these online for $8.32 a piece / is that a good price?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...=FR48-PZT2FEF4

I don’t know how long the plug socket is but it supposedly just for 04 and up F150 3-valve engines

Last edited by jpdadeo; 10-21-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:12 PM

Don't shoot the messenger, but they list at about $15-17/ea, if I remember right.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My local dealership Parts Manager told me he could sell them to me for $9.00 each. Online they are $7.53 here: TSEtruckstuff.com

Last edited by kd4crs; 10-21-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:28 PM

My cost on 'em was about $7 a pop.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:37 AM
So what will fords response be at 100000 miles when we start taking these in for spark plug changes? Will they change the plugs like normal and if they break something they are responsible correct?

Old 10-22-2005, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by HCFR-Halligan
So what will fords response be at 100000 miles when we start taking these in for spark plug changes? Will they change the plugs like normal and if they break something they are responsible correct?
That’s what I would like to think but the reality of it is, spark plugs are not covered under warranty at 100K or 10K, they’re just not covered period. Once the dealers get wind of the problem, (if there is a problem) they are going to put the expense of pulling the heads to repair the broken plugs on the consumer. They’ll do it up-front by clearly stating if a problem occurs they won’t be responsible.

I hate to think this would happen and Ford would give me the shaft, but by the time I get 100K on my truck it’s will be another six years, 2011 and by then who knows what the circumstances surrounding this potential problem will be.

Those plugs Quintin took pics of were rusty around the sleeve insert big time and that’s with only 28K so theoretically if they progressively got worse over the course of another 72K they will probably be rusted in tight and break trying to take them out.

I’m going to play it safe and get another set of plugs, change them myself, clean up the ones in there now and save them for a possible reinstall in about 25 to 30K miles from now.

Old 10-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Would using a fuel additive on a regular basis help prevent this problem?

Old 10-22-2005, 08:44 AM
I doubt it because quality fuel already has extensive additives to make it burn clean. I haven’t pulled my plugs yet and probably won’t get to it for another couple of weeks but when I do, I’ll post pics. I’ve used only named brand gas since I’ve had the truck, which include Citgo, (my personal favorite) Shell, Sunoco and Chevron. At first I used 87-octane but now with custom tuning, it’s only 93-octane and Citgo is the primary brand (my guess is 85% Citgo)

Quick Reply: Changing Spark Plugs