2004 - 2008 F-150

Question about running out of gas...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about running out of gas...

Greetings everyone.

Well after putting 1,250 miles on my truck, i have been wondering, when does this thing run out of gas...? And is there an idiot light like in my ranger that after the gage gets low enough a "check gage" light will come on?

So far i have only seen the little computer say low fuel level. In my ranger i could go all the way below E and still have gas. How far can you go on this beast before she runs dry?

Old 08-23-2005, 10:49 AM
on my truck at least, when it says it has 'low fuel' it means it, find a station asap. at that time, if you floor it, the truck will putz around and jerk since it can't get a full gulp. the FX4 gauges just replace your mileage readout with -LOW FUEL-

Old 08-23-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm reminded of a Seinfeld episode with Kramer.

Why don't you test it and let us know.

For me I'll trust my onboard super computer and that fangdangled thing that points between E and F....

Old 08-23-2005, 11:02 AM
My SCAB has a 27 gal tank and the low fuel warning kicks on with 5 gal left, the gas gauge needle is square on empty. All my fillups seem to be around 22-23 gal. Don't top off more than 3 clicks when the pump stops, as the manual recommends.

Ron

Old 08-23-2005, 01:21 PM
You also get a nice *beep* to inform you.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:24 PM
First you get a chime warning, and low fuel shows up on the panel. You can ignore that by pushing the trip button. Then when it gets very low, it beeps and flashes the warning. That seems to be a 2 gallon "you're gonna run out" warning. I think the next message is the motor quiting...
Chris

Old 08-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
First you get a chime warning, and low fuel shows up on the panel. You can ignore that by pushing the trip button. Then when it gets very low, it beeps and flashes the warning. That seems to be a 2 gallon "you're gonna run out" warning. I think the next message is the motor quiting...
Chris

Chris is this from experience? I don't seem to remember reading that in the manual but it would not be the first time I missed something like that..

Trending Topics

Old 08-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by JackDob
Chris is this from experience? I don't seem to remember reading that in the manual but it would not be the first time I missed something like that..
Yup, twice. I run long freeway trips, and have listened to the warning chime give you the light warning twice, and the more urgent sound once.
Never ran it out but have put 25.5 gallons in a 27 gallon tank...
Chris

Old 08-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by JackDob

lol....

I have seen that episode of seinfeld too, its funny.

Reading this stuff has made me remember the time when i ran out of gas with my ranger. i have only done it twice, the first time was, i was going into wendy's to get food, and i realized i have NO gas. i was on a main road, two lanes of traffic in each direction and a turning lane in the middle, so the gas station is on the other sie of the road, so i see that hte traffic is clear and i floor it, and what do you know, i run out of gas right in the middle of the road blocking like 3 lanes of traffic. I felt so stupid! i had to leave it there and go get gas....haah

The second time was i was going to go get gas, and i was going up this slight incline, and right before the top i ran out, couldnt get over the top, and of course the gas station was on the other side, right at the botto of the hill..... i had to wake up my g/f and have her come rescue me!

So what you are trying to say is that hwen the computer says that i am out of gas, i am out of gas?? lol.. make sense.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:46 PM
I ran mine out (pushing distance to the pump, fortunately.) It took 27.02 gallons to fill it.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by spotdog14
Greetings everyone.

Well after putting 1,250 miles on my truck, i have been wondering, when does this thing run out of gas...? And is there an idiot light like in my ranger that after the gage gets low enough a "check gage" light will come on?

So far i have only seen the little computer say low fuel level. In my ranger i could go all the way below E and still have gas. How far can you go on this beast before she runs dry?

What brand of gas is your dealer using? I've never been able to get anywhere near 1,250 miles out of a tank of gas!

Old 08-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Just wait...

Wait until you get caught in a traffic jam unexpectedly right when you're in that nether-region below the E-Mark. Why let your gas gauge go that low? IF an emergency pops up and you don't have time to stop at a gas station or you're stuck in traffic, you're screwed. I used to play that game in college just to see how far I could push it but now the thought of always being a couple gallons away from being stranded just doesn't hold the thrill for me that it used to. I usually add fuel at the quarter tank mark, sometimes let it go as low as half way between 'E' and 'F'. Don't have the time to spare to deal with the inconvenience of the truck sputtering to a stop in heavy traffic.

And yes, in my old Ranger, I too could be below the last line of the E and still get 20-30 miles more without running out. YEs, there was a certain excitement to seeing how far I could push the envelope. I managed never to completely run out of gas, though my father did it a couple times.

Last edited by eharri3; 08-23-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:06 PM
I have always wondered this as well. I have a lariat with the computer but also have 33" tires which is throwing the computer off a little. My low fuel comes on with 50 miles to go... and when i go to fill my truck it neevr takes more then 22 gals and I have a 30 gal tank!!!!

Old 08-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Yup, twice. I run long freeway trips, and have listened to the warning chime give you the light warning twice, and the more urgent sound once.
Never ran it out but have put 25.5 gallons in a 27 gallon tank...
Chris

Excellent.. Thanks.. I know I will get there too. I usually run my tanks real low and do it consistantly to keep fueling at the same station.

Jack

Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM
I fill mine up every time it hits 3/4 of a tank. If it got much lower, I'd have to borrow money!

Quick Reply: Question about running out of gas...