2004 - 2008 F-150

#@%$* Tall Box & Tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
#@%$* Tall Box & Tailgate

I’ve now got almost 3 full months of towing stuff with my 2005 F-150 under my belt. (In addition to my full time job, I work part time at a marina and have my own 22’ boat.) When I first took delivery of my current truck, I posted a note in the ’04 – ’05 forum about my likes and dislikes. One of my dislikes was the new taller bed / box and the fact that one could actually loose a Mazda Miata in the blind spot behind the truck.

Well, I can now safely state that one can loose a hell of a lot more than a Miata back there. I’ve towed everything from a jet ski on a single axle trailer to a 35” Fountain on a triple axle with the truck. (Yes, that was over the limit, but not half bad.) Guess what, I’ve now verified that anything under a trailer for a 23” boat might as well be invisible when backing into a ramp. Jet ski trailers? Forget it. Am I the only one who has this problem? By the way, dropping the tailgate does not help when one has a tonneau cover – like me. Even if you don’t, that move is usually good for a notched tailgate anyway.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if it as much as a problem as you say it is, and judging by your sig, roll up your tonneau and pop open the tailgate. It seems you do it often enough that it would be beneficial to do so - but only if you go the notched route like you said.

Another mod that may prove to be useful is a backup camera. There was a guy on here who installed one perfectly in his tailgate about a month ago. Again, it would be pretty hard and time consuming, but if you honestly do it as much as you say you do, it will be worth its weight in gold.

And yes, I have lost much more than Miata's behind my truck. And I love it.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:28 PM
I think that's why a lot of us have been installing video head units and backup cameras on our trucks. I know that it has helped me out a lot when towing and backing up with my truck.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Umm yeah, thats why you use those HUGE side mirrors. Its not the truck, everyone has these problems especially lifted trucks towing jet skiis for instance. Learn how to use your side mirrors.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:32 PM
i had the same problem reversing with an unloaded jetski trailer, drop the gate, roll the cover, turn off the reverse sensors and you're good to retrieve... launching it isnt necessary to drop and roll cause it sticks up high enough for me to judge the course
just one of the many perks of owning a new 150!

-jj

Old 08-08-2005, 03:32 PM
If only the back-up cameras were an option from the factory with a navigation system.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Living in Florida, I tow various water toys quite a bit, and never had a problem.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by lrhogfan
If only the back-up cameras were an option from the factory with a navigation system.
So True...

Old 08-08-2005, 03:42 PM
I have been racing jetskis since 1993 and I have had to back up trailers without when the skis are off the trailer down the side of hills and over rocks when we were at a race site and could not access the ramp. All I do is look at the fenders on the trailer through the side mirrors. If you have been backing up stuff long enough (and it sounds like you have) it should not be that big of a deal. I even have a 6” lift on my truck and I don’t have any problem.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:51 PM
If your good at backing up a trailer than you shouldnt even need to look behind you. i have no problem backing any trailer in the water and ive backed many. I just look in my side mirrors the whole way down. Pretty easy.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra
Umm yeah, thats why you use those HUGE side mirrors. Its not the truck, everyone has these problems especially lifted trucks towing jet skiis for instance. Learn how to use your side mirrors.
just thinking the same.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem backing a jet ski down a ramp for me. I drop the tailgate and shut off the RSS

Old 08-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Remember NOT to drop your tailgate if you have a box or the wheel crank that might hit once you turn the truck!!!

Old 08-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every trailer I've owned in the last 15 years had a flip-up tongue jack. If it didn't, I immediately put one on. Otherwise it's only a matter of time before someone accidentally lowers your tailgate onto the trailer jack. And their response is always the same- they didn't know, they didn't mean it and they are real sorry. Then they tell you how they can't afford to fix it, your truck had a couple scratches anyway and the dent isn't that noticable.
******* THAT! I get the swing up tongue jack on day one of trailer ownership and I never have to worry about idiots screwing up my tailgate.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:39 PM
The easiest way to back a small empty or loaded trailer you can't see in the side or rear mirror is to attach a piece of 2" PVC pipe about 5-6 feet long to the side of the trailer it the upright position with a sliding clamp. This way there is no second guessing where the trailer is. When you pull the trailer out of the water just simply remove it.

Quick Reply: #@%$* Tall Box & Tailgate