2004 - 2008 F-150

Airforce One noise level?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I understand why people say that their Airforce One is louder than that Magnaflow SISO.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you didn't want the intake noise, why did you buy a cold air intake? I have yet to hear a quiet cold air intake. By design the filter is "mostly" exposed and thus the noise. From the three that I have heard on the newer 5.4 3v F150's, AF1, AirRaid and Volant, I think the AF1 is the quietest. Although I have to admit the AirRaid is probably pretty close. I don't hear anything until about 2K rpm and my friends AirRaid starts at about 1.8K rpm. Once they are both wide open I can't tell the differance.

As far as throwing CELS on the very early F150's I have had one CEL at over 500 miles and one at just over 200 miles, all are supposed to be taken care of with the new tube design. (I am awaiting shipment) Troyer Performance has taken care of it with no pain on my part.

Last edited by Crash_edwards; 07-21-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jrack04
Now I understand why people say that their Airforce One is louder than that Magnaflow SISO.

You'll never hear me say that and I have both... in fact, I can BARELY hear mine...

Like has been mentioned, my filter is substantially closer to the heatshield. Not sure if that'd make any difference at all...

The only time I hear mine is when I have my driver's window down and bring it up around 2K RPM moving or sitting. Short of that, I can't hear it.

RP

Old 07-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
You'll never hear me say that and I have both... in fact, I can BARELY hear mine...

Like has been mentioned, my filter is substantially closer to the heatshield. Not sure if that'd make any difference at all...

The only time I hear mine is when I have my driver's window down and bring it up around 2K RPM moving or sitting. Short of that, I can't hear it.

RP

Your not kidding when you say "substantially" closer to the heatshield. I may have to give it a test tomorrow.

RP:
Side note. Are you close at all to Ashland, Kentucky?

Last edited by jrack04; 07-21-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:11 AM
I case anyone needed a 2nd opinion on whether flaring out the end works. It does. Turns out the gentlemen who came up with the idea decided to move to a slightly bigger rig and sold his customized AF1 to me. Search for post by tycreek. You don't notice any real difference from the stock intake noise until you get up to around 2300 rpm. But even then it's not too loud or annoying. So I was relieve it didn't sound too loud but I'm still on the fence as to whether it produces enough of a gain in hp to justify the cost. Only had it a couple of days so we'll see.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:25 AM
I love the sound of the AF1, sounds like a muscle car, it really is the best mod i think not for power but for the sound as you crank out 5000rpm.

Old 07-22-2005, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by Fx4man2004
I love the sound of the AF1, sounds like a muscle car, it really is the best mod i think not for power but for the sound as you crank out 5000rpm.
It gives the 3-valves a huge hp gain, 25hp@3000rpm’s to the rear wheels, that’s BIG in my book

Old 07-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
JP... I'm about 3 hours from Ashland. Why? You going to be in that neck of the woods?

Old 07-22-2005, 03:03 PM
i just installed mine about a week ago...No codes.. thank god!. . .the only thing was the mass air sensor didnt fit, i had to mod that... as far as sound.. idle, very quite, WOT.. very loud.. it sounds like an old 92 lx coupe, just that throuty (sp*) sounds, but from under the hood...its very loud in the cab at WOT, but like i said, idle, and jsut driving its pretty quite.. .i have the filter as far on the end as i can get it before it falls off..

chris

Old 07-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Like some on this thread, I had to dremel out the MAF sensor socket in order to insert the sensor. Otherwise, installation has been trouble-free.

I have the revised tube design on my truck and can tell you it can barely be heard. Truly quet.

I've had the CEL illuminated now for two hundred miles. The new tube design is supposed to help this, but I still have the same CEL that started with the original tube. I'm seriously thinking of deeply resetting the computer to see if the new tube can avoid the CEL while accumulating it's own operating ranges in the computer.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:35 AM
You know what bubbadoo, if you do reset the computer do it when the engine temp is cold, like in the morning before you start out for the day, and let it idle until it reaches operating temp. That’s your best shot at a clean reset.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
You know what bubbadoo, if you do reset the computer do it when the engine temp is cold, like in the morning before you start out for the day, and let it idle until it reaches operating temp. That’s your best shot at a clean reset.
Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by bubbadoo98
I have the revised tube design on my truck and can tell you it can barely be heard. Truly quet.
Do you have any pictures so that I can see your filter placement?

Old 07-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by jrack04
Do you have any pictures so that I can see your filter placement?
Not yet, but I'll flash a few tomorrow.

I did do a cold reset of the PCM this evening. The truck was cold and I turned the headlights on to drain the computer. No CEL yet, only 16 miles so far. Noise at full throttle is minor, but I'm not noticing much of a pick-up either... this could be due to the fact that I haven't performed any other mods (exhaust and programmer are next).

Thanks guys.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Just reading all these posts reminds me of driving my dads Olds many years ago with a 350 4 bbl. We would flip the air cleaner cover upside down to give it some noise when you stuck your foot into it. It's the same thing with todays systems, you open up the box, you are going to hear the noise of the engine swallowing air.

Quick Reply: Airforce One noise level?