2004 - 2008 F-150

wouldn't it be cool if...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sspangl
wouldn't it be cool if ford could have programmed your lights to come on when you use your windshield wipers.

No!

Old 07-15-2005, 01:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing the other day when we got the edges of Dennis and it was raining like cats and dogs but the lights didnt come on. it may not be a big deal to you guys that dont have or dont use the auto light option, but when you get use to the lights coming on their own it is kind of hard to remember to turn them on when its raining.

What sucks even worse is when I drive me Jeep I almost ALWAYS get out and leave the lights on out of habit....most of the time I remember to go back and turn them off (but not always!) Think of it like this...your use to either shifting the gear selector from the colom or the center console, when you get in a car that has the selector in a different place dont you always reach for the place your use to first???

Old 07-15-2005, 02:16 PM

I think it would be cool espically in states where it is the law to turn them on when it is raining like North Carolina.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tommy91
*hmmm* sorry, maybe it's a cali thing.. but, i don't think i'd benefit from that at all.

Actually you would. Since Cali. just passed that law that says that you have to have your light on when your wipers are on. Of course you probly only use your wipers what once a year?

Old 07-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by pa_wolf62
Actually you would. Since Cali. just passed that law that says that you have to have your light on when your wipers are on. Of course you probly only use your wipers what once a year?

Dunno about that, been the wettest year in Southern California in more than a century. Still haven't needed them since April though.
Chris

Old 07-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Sorry to inject some value into this thread... It seems like it should be possible to achieve this for those that have the autolamp system. Here's a hint for anyone that wants to pursue this.

Start with the autolamp sensor. You will need to determine if the output of the sensor is an analog signal that goes elsewhere for processing, or if it is a digital signal that has already decided if it is light or dark out. Continue by determining what the signal (voltage or current) level is to signal that it is dark outside. (This completes the hard part.) Now, add a relay that is energized by the wiper signal. In the off position, it connects the autolamp sensor. In the on position, it connects to a signal generator that simulates the dark signal from the autolamp.

Now you have manual control of the lights if you want, and in autolamp position they come on with the wipers. Extra points for adding a switch in line with the relay coil to temporarily disable the "wiperlight" feature if you wanted to for some reason.

End of hints, now someone that wants this can go do it. It's not going to be me this time though; I live in Phoenix and have more useful mods for me in my queue.

-Cheers,

Old 07-15-2005, 05:35 PM
crap, i didn't know they passed that law? *ooh boy* but, chris is right on both counts!

Quick Reply: wouldn't it be cool if...