2004 - 2008 F-150

AF1 , new problem..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy AF1 , new problem..

so i recieved AF1 yesterday, man was i excited.. i waited weeks for this thing!!.. so i get all my intake out.. all the bolts.. in the texas heat.. and i start puttin AF1 in. i'm so stoked.. .. get to the point where i'm going to insert the air flow sensor... and the damn thing wont fit.. i look down to where is suppose to slide into and someone welded the opening wrong.. lookin from the inside, there's a silver dollar size hole, then they weld the housing over the hole.. well the house is welded to far to the left..so it looks like i'm going to have to get a keyhole saw and saw out this peice thats blocking the airflow sensor from going in...

anyone have this issue.. ??.. I wonder how this one slipped through the cracks and why they didnt check that before they sent it out!.

I"ll modify this myself,, but for the ones that arent familiar with tools, this could be frustrating, the weeks of waiting plus the coin it costs!.. ARRRRGGG

chris

Old 07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
geez, what's up with AF1's quality control, it seems to suck! I remember reading posts on here a month or 2 ago and people had similiar problems with the sensor hole, dented tubes, having to bring out the dremel to fix things, etc.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:45 AM
I put mine on last week. I had to grind out the overlap and clean out the flash in the rubber boot.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was partly blocked also. I just whipped out the Dremel tool and opened up the hole. It fit fine after that. Several other people have had this same problem. Do NOT force the MAF sensor into the hole. If it doesn't fit right, take it back out and work on the hole until it slides into place without binding. I don't even want to know what those things cost to replace if it get buggered up.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:11 AM
oh i know.. when it didnt fit i was so pissed!!!... i didnt force it either. i know better....guess i'll need to buy a dremmel... ..should i bill troyer??. .hehe

chris

Old 07-13-2005, 11:13 AM
jcc
i would send it back if you start cutting it and run into more problems you probably wont be able to get a replacement under warranty

Old 07-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Unhappy

i'm going to email troyer and see what he suggests.. i mean yeah i want to send it back, because i spent 300 for it.. and i shouldnt have to modify...but i dont want to wait another mth or so to get it back..

chris

Old 07-13-2005, 11:37 AM
I know it would be a long time for another one, but as a paying customer, you have the right to demand nothing less than a perfectly working unit out of the box. Personally, I would send it back and have them ship me another.

But if you have no problem with modding it yourself, go for it! I know I couldn't...

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2005, 12:23 PM
thats just it todd. you hit it on the head.. i dont want to have to mod.. i've emailed troyer and i'll see what they say.. i'll keep ya'll posted.. Man is the supplyer not checking these.. i mean to me this is something very simple that was overlooked!.. you can center it before you weld it!... crazy. i'll try and take a few pics tonight!

chris

Old 07-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the AF1 I received. I was thinking the same thing about quality on their parts. Maybe we should have reported all these to Troyer so they could relay this info onto AF1. Granted, it's probably a small portion of the overall amount they ship, but there are enough complaints on this board for their quality that I would think it would have a negative impact on people choosing AF1 over other intakes.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:56 PM
I was sold on an AF1 until I read all the problems people have been having w/ them.

I need to start shopping for another brand of intake.....

Old 07-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to take a file to the corner of the MAF sensor hole too, but I’m still very satisfied with the end result, the performance and how quiet it is until you jump on it.

The quality control is definitely lacking on the fine details though

Old 07-13-2005, 01:01 PM
MHP
Originally Posted by Havasu Hawg
I was sold on an AF1 until I read all the problems people have been having w/ them.

I need to start shopping for another brand of intake.....
After much thought and much reading I am going to go with the K & N FIPK Generation 2. So far havn't heard anything bad other than they only claim 15 HP gain and AF1 claims, I think, 25 HP gain.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:10 PM
talked to everette at AF1, he did say i can use a dremmel to cut that out.. i asked if it would void the warrenty of the product, and he said no.. looks like i'm mod'n the mod!!..

he also mentioned that was the first he's heard of that issue.. hhmmm

chris

Old 07-13-2005, 08:56 PM
whats funny is I got the newer updated version of the tube from airforce one and I had the same issue with the maf not fitting. I had already heard of someone else that had this issue so I went and dremeled it out. with all the people I have heard of on here that had that issue you would have thought they would have heard of it before now. I guess we are just not the kind of customers who call and complain. but we sure know how to raise hell on the boards. which hurts them more than calling and complaining as they could loose customers. if those of us that had the issue had called and complained earlier they could have addressed the issue a long time ago. they should put notices in new products that invite people to call and notify any issues they have with it. and they could even set up a 1-800 number people could leave messages at to notify them of issues so they can find out about it and solve the issues sooner. just an idea.

Quick Reply: AF1 , new problem..