2004 - 2008 F-150

Another CEL on my AF1

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another CEL on my AF1

Well fellow forum members, I've now had a total of 3 CELs after my initial conference with Troyer Performance just after the first occurrence.

On the previous CEL, I moved the filter to the end of the tube and tightened all connections really well. After roughly 120 miles the CEL was extinguished and I was happy

Today, on the way to the July 4th celebrations, I ran the truck @ WOT while getting on the expressway. It screamed and down-shifted with authority. Nice sounds, nice accelleration.

50 miles later, I start the beast and viola, the CEL is on again! The truck is definitely not running well and this has just been too much.

My question to other forum members is: how many CELs have you experienced with the AF1?

I'm at my wit's end and will be talking to Troyer on Tuesday with the intention of returning the AF1.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had 2 CELs. After resetting the PCM the second time I have not had one for several weeks and several hundred miles of various types of driving. Let us know what you find out from Troyer.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i had that problem with my airaid intake. i got rid of it. i am going to use my factory intake box and i am going to make a tube for it with air coming in from the front via a scoop. i might even go with the airaid intake tube but i am not sure at this point.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by ONE04FX4
i had that problem with my airaid intake. i got rid of it. i am going to use my factory intake box and i am going to make a tube for it with air coming in from the front via a scoop. i might even go with the airaid intake tube but i am not sure at this point.
So you had the same problem with the AirRaid? This is the alternate Troyer is offering, but it doesn't sound very promising if this is the case.

From what I hear, a programmer, like the Xcal, or a PCM upgrade from the dealer, may just address the CEL problem. I'm not sure about this; I am sure that I've had the AF1 intake installed just shy of a month and I'm on my fourth CEL. Troyer Performance customer service has told me the PCM needs to "relearn" the fuel map with the new intake, but everytme the CEL goes out, a WOT driving session reignites it. Perhaps my PCM has a learning disability (no offense to anyone ).

I may just return the AF1 and have them apply the credit towards an Xcal. I've had the AF1 installed for about a month now. It'll be interesting seeing if the TP customer service lives up to the reputation it's developed on this forum.

I will keep all posted.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’ve had the Airforce 1 installed since 5-14 without any CEL problem. I’ve even disconnected the battery since then to see if I could squeeze any more power out of the adaptive strategy.

The CEL problem doesn’t seem to be wide spread, but for those who experience them, it’s troublesome. According to what Mike says it’s nothing to worry about, but how can you ignore the light on the dash, and not worry about what the heck is going on.

I hope you can get this squared away ASP with Troyer; keep us posted about the progress

Old 07-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
I’ve had the Airforce 1 installed since 5-14 without any CEL problem. I’ve even disconnected the battery since then to see if I could squeeze any more power out of the adaptive strategy.

The CEL problem doesn’t seem to be wide spread, but for those who experience them, it’s troublesome. According to what Mike says it’s nothing to worry about, but how can you ignore the light on the dash, and not worry about what the heck is going on.

I hope you can get this squared away ASP with Troyer; keep us posted about the progress
I hear ya. I've been waiting on ordering one myself. I don't think I'll let a $400 mod throw a check engine light on my $40K truck. Guess I'll go with the airraid. Everyone says it's nothing, but if it's throwing that code, in my opinion it's doing so for a reason. If I get one, off it comes. Of course, I know next to nothing about engines, so I'm probably just being over-paranoid!

Old 07-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by rdblan2
I hear ya. I've been waiting on ordering one myself. I don't think I'll let a $400 mod throw a check engine light on my $40K truck. Guess I'll go with the airraid. Everyone says it's nothing, but if it's throwing that code, in my opinion it's doing so for a reason. If I get one, off it comes. Of course, I know next to nothing about engines, so I'm probably just being over-paranoid!
After the first CEL, I spoke to Anita, at TP customer service, she told me that the problem had to do with the PCM's fuel maps having to adapt to the new air flow; something along the lines that new max and min flows need to be 'learned' by the PCM. But when the CEL's on, the truck behaves sluggishly. Yesterday, for the first time, I ran the truck at WOT w/o the CEL and it was impressive, both sounds and accelleration. But 50 miles later, the CEL comes on on.

If Troyer Perf can't make sense of this or remedy the situation with a new program, I'm wrapping this sucker up and sending it back.

Has anyone seen or used the Granatelli MAF Sensor for the 2004-5 f150 5.4 3v? It comes with a Volant-like air intake. Pricey, but supposedly max power gains and no CELs.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:45 PM
I installed my AF1 about two weeks ago and have driven almost 1000 miles since then. Did the install without disconnecting the battery and followed the other helpful hints on here llike the placement of the filter and tightening the bolts properly. So far, the truck has run perfectly without any CEL's.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by nycmike1
I installed my AF1 about two weeks ago and have driven almost 1000 miles since then. Did the install without disconnecting the battery and followed the other helpful hints on here llike the placement of the filter and tightening the bolts properly. So far, the truck has run perfectly without any CEL's.
It's really wierd, some folks never see a CEL. I reset my PCM, this could have been a huge problem, but at some point, we will all have our batteries disconnected, causing a PCM reset. Perhaps it has to do with production date and the PCM version.

Frankly, I don't think there'd be a CEL if I didn't put the truck through a couple of nice WOT sprints. Perhaps some trucks never see this type of use (abuse ) and therefore, never have a CEL.

Just my .02.

Last edited by bubbadoo98; 07-03-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know if the MAF curve adjustment feature, found on flash programmers as DiabloSport, will effect, as in solve, the CEL caused by the air intake? My understanding is the fuel map is not adjusted for the greater airflow caused by the bigger tube.

When I spoke to Troyer, after the first CEL, Anita said the PCM had to be trained. Instead of running around @ WOT all the time (apparently this would be necessary to 'retrain' the PCM), a programmer such as Predator or Superchips could readjust the MAF curve, allowing for greater air flow without causing a lean condition.

Can anyone with a Predator or Superchips programmer confirm this?

Last edited by bubbadoo98; 07-04-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first CEL occurred just as I let off the throttle from a random act of acceleration about 30 somenthing miles after installing the AF1.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:45 PM
I have an 05 4.6. No cell here. I didnt disconnect the battery intill about a week after install still no cell. Mas didnt line up thoe. Ive had it installed for about 1000 miles now. Lately it has been getting really loud. Im gonna try and move the filter to the end of the pipe.

Old 07-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Sharkn, same truck, and I live in San Jose! How do you like that AF1?

Old 07-04-2005, 05:06 PM
FWIW - on the '05 Mustang board we have been working with the various CAI intakes for some time now and the '05 3V 4.6 V8 HAS to have both the CAI and a tuner (Diablo, Xcalibrator, etc.). The stock ECU won't even come close to compensating for the increase in air flow and the engine will be running at an unacceptable lean level. Members have verified this multiple times with dyno testing. What we are doing is installing the CAI unit of choice (C&L, Steeda, JLT, etc.) with a tuner on either 87 or 93 octane (most opt for the increased gains of the 93 tune) and then going to a dyno shop and having the A/F ratios verified and the tune "customized" for each particular vehicle. Most of the members are seeing between 25 - 40 rwhp and slightly more in torque gain - which is pretty good considering the $550.00 - $700.00 investment. I have noticed with my JLT CAI - that when I'm working underhood and bumping the intake tube, or have R&R'd it for access - the CEL light will sometimes come on. I went back and secured the MAF sensor better and this has reduced the CEL coming on via "bumping" the tube. My '05 GT's CEL has come on 4 times in 2500 miles now (even with my Xcalibrator) and I have resigned myself the the fact that I'm going to have to disconnect my battery on occaision to clear a CEL. No longer worries me though - since I now realize that it is so touchy and there is really nothing wrong with the engine (when using the CAI WITH an aftermarket tune)

I know it has been said (with dyno testing as proof) that our 5.4 3V V8 doesn't need an aftermarket tune when adding a high flow CAI - but I suspect it may - cause with the AF1 (and AirRaid for that matter) you are adding much better air flow and these darn ECU's are just too touchy

I have my AF1 on order now and will also be ordering an aftermarket tuner as well - most likely going with the Diablo as I haven't had very good service with SCT since I purchsed the Xcal I (right before the XCal II) was introduced. I'm going to install the AF1 first, to see if I get a CEL - and won't be surprised if I do - then will order the aftermarket tuner.

Last edited by HotLap; 07-04-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:15 PM
HotLap, you need to contact Doug at BamaChips.com best service i have ever had for SCT, and he can do any tune you want. The guy has been with ford for YEARS and is a fully ford trained master tech, and he worked hand in hand with whipple to develop the whipple charger for the 3.0 ranger, he created the tuning to perfect it. if youre concerned about the CEL, get the Xcal 2. after you buy a cable for the X1, the X2 is only $25 more and has MANY more features. shoot me an email if you want more info, i dont want to talk much about it on here, because its not Troyer!!!

Quick Reply: Another CEL on my AF1