2004 - 2008 F-150

Opinions Wanted: LT Handles (all black) w/Glossy Pillars and Black Plastic Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RP,

Good luck finding a place to paint the mirrors. If you do, let me know how you convinced them to do it and what the charged. I've gone to 6 places and everyone of them said no except 2. Of the 2 that said yes, one quoted $150 a mirror and the other said $100 a mirror. Both said they wouldn't warranty it, nor would they sand them smooth. I say a guy with them painted smooth today. If I see him parked in that parking lot again, I'll leave him a note with my email and phone and see if he can answer questions about it.

I'm going to replace the handles for the LT ones...but I don't have chrome.

I'm 50/50 on the panels b/c they are $150 and thats a lot for the panels.

In two weekends I'm going to sand down my mud flaps and paint them black.

In regards to the edging below the window, I'm thinking about trying to find some chrome to cover it. You know how they do on luxury cars? That type deal. That should help cover it from weathering and looking like faded crud.

Best of luck to ya, let me know what I can do to help. You've done a lot of mods and detail stuff to help me. I'd love to help you with your mods in return.

Duke

Old 06-22-2005, 12:23 AM
RP,
I think it would look good. I know I may get shot in the face for saying this, but here goes...

With respect to the mirrors, perhaps you could consider buying the chrome covers (from Putco) for them and have them painted glossy black. Sure, some of the matte black would be there, but I think the overall effect would be glossy. If you didn't like the way they come out / look on your truck, you could chuck them before you remove the backing off the 3M tape.

Might cause you to lose some $$$, but it might turn out OK.

Just my 2 cents...

Paul

Old 06-22-2005, 01:29 AM
RP I have almost exactly what your asking about...the only things is my LT handles still have the chrome pullers. I dont think the mirrors look bad flat black. The rubber molding running around the door is still flat black and matches fine with the mirrors. I would go with the gloss black pillars though...they might not be important on most trucks but they look great on a black one.

Here are a couple pics:

Old 06-22-2005, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by HIDPLANET
I agree with the others EXCEPT for the fact that even if NOBODY notices that the mirrors arent shiny like the rest, YOu will notice. And you must determine if this is going to bug you to death or not.
I know myself, even for little things that nobody would ever notice...it can keep me up all night long until I do something about it. So ask yourself, will it annoy the crap outta you for not painting them along with the rest?

Hid - I'm with you - once I saw an '04 wiht the glossy B pillars - I'm like "what the heck was Ford thinking cheaping out on the '05's like that!! IMO - the $150.00 mod is peanuts compared with what I paid for the truck and well worth it for the next 4 - 6 years that I'll own the truck and think (every time I walk up to it) how nice the gloss B pillars look...especially on a black truck!!

Hey RP - have you considered the LT mirrors - I'll have to post pics of mine installed - but they look great and (of course you expect me to say this) but I don't regret spending the $$ on the mirrors and enjoy seeing them everytime I walk up to my truck.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:43 AM
RamSST (that's not a Dodge model is it .....you have one of the sweeeeeetest looking F-150's I've seen to date.....I'm telling ya though, the LT mirrors with the 1/2 chrome would look dynamite with the chrome handles you got going on there.....if my LT handles ever arrive - I'll post a pic of the combo as soon as I can install them!!

And (of course) I agree with you the glossy B pillars look awesome on any color F-150....but especially on the (fast) black ones

Old 06-22-2005, 02:22 AM
Hotlap, please post some pics of your LT mirrors. I'm looking into purchasing some but want to see what they look like before I do so. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Okay, I'm opening the flood gates asking for opinions but, I may opt to just remove and snub the thread... LOL!

Here's the scenario...

I want to get LT handles and paint the CHROME handle portion of the assembly. Hence, shiny black handles.

Also, I want to add black shiny B-pillars (like HotLap's) as I think it really adds a nice look...

With that in mind, I'll have 'shiny shiny shiny' and a matte black plastic mirror assembly.

I know the obvious answer is to paint the mirrors but, at this point in time, I don't think I'm ready to rip them off and take them to a shop for painting (that and I simply don't have the time).

So, shiny everything and matte black plastic mirrors. Will it look weird?

TIA guys.

RP
Well i personally think you should get your mirrors painted as i agree it would look so much better on your black truck. Especially if you are going to go through the hassle and expense of changing door handles and window trim.
Hope this helps you out.
Later Trev

Old 06-22-2005, 10:32 AM
hey RP try your dealer's p&b shop.they have factory paint stored on site,they don't have to order a min. of 1 pint just to paint you mirrors,i got the top half of my mirrors on the first truck for 40$ and it took only one day.26 hrs between drop off and pickup.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:39 AM
The mirrors will be fine big guy... if you paint them it's just one more place to get rock chips, and with your 'fear of the film' you'll be peeved when you get your first one. Leave the mirrors alone!

Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks guys... You all have presented some interesting perspectives that I'm going to consider. I didn't have time to run by the P&B shop today after my dentist appointment (like I had planned) but, I'm going to try to do that soon.

RamSS... thanks for those pictures man. That really helps out. Rock chips are a definite issue so, I'm not so sure I want to go that route...

Lots of things for me to think about here guys. I really appreciate your opinions and insight.

RP

Old 06-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by SoundPer4mance
the other thing you need to ask yourself, is it worth spending all that cash on the pillars?? the only time i even look at another guys pillars is to see if its an 04 or an 05, haha its an expensive mod that only about 1/10th of a percent of people will notice. it also is an easy way for people "in the know" to see that you have an 05. also, youll get finger smudges ALL over the glossy pillars!! i think the glossy ones look better, but thats a lot of cash to burn for a low impact mod. IMO
I agree. My truck is black and I like the contrast that all the flat black pieces add.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:11 PM
RamSS... thanks for those pictures man. That really helps out. Rock chips are a definite issue so, I'm not so sure I want to go that route...
RP
Hey RP,

What about having them covered with the 3M clear bra to protect the mirrors after having them painted?

I've had two other cars with painted mirrors before and the problem wouldn't be rocks flying up and causing chips, because that can happen all over the truck; but rather the paint not sticking to the plastic.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Moderator &

Yeah... I agree with the clear bra thing. Yet again though, more expense.

Dont' get me wrong, if I do it, I want to do it 100% right but, purse strings always play into a decision of this nature for me.

First things first... I need to get a couple of quotes on $$ for the prep and spray before I proceed much farther.

Thanks again guys...

RP

Old 06-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Yeah... I agree with the clear bra thing. Yet again though, more expense.

Dont' get me wrong, if I do it, I want to do it 100% right but, purse strings always play into a decision of this nature for me.

First things first... I need to get a couple of quotes on $$ for the prep and spray before I proceed much farther.

Thanks again guys...

RP
Lol! If by pursue strings you mean the wife then I can start to understand where you're coming from. My girlfriend is somehow starting to own my pocket book and what goes in and out of it...don't know how she does it, but she's good.

I actually got a quote of $229 to do the hood and fender flares with stuff similiar to 3M, the guy said it was stronger than that, it's made by Lumar. I'm thinking it wouldn't be much more to add the front bumper (not the chrome) and the mirrors.

Let me know about the quote you get for the mirrors. I'm thinking there have to be fiberglass covers out there somewhere that cover the mirror and where it attaches with a smooth painted surface. hmmm.....

Old 06-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Moderator &

LOL... yep... purse strings = wife. LOL! I was hoping that someone would read that into the comment... HA!

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted: LT Handles (all black) w/Glossy Pillars and Black Plastic Mirrors