2004 - 2008 F-150

Question for UnderCover owners...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for UnderCover owners...

I finally decided to go for the Undercover, but while making calls to different dealers I was talked out of it by the last dealer. The last dealer I called said that they prefer not to sell Undercover for several reasons; 1) over time the black composite plastic begins to 'sag' during the summer heat and doesn't fit properly (expands and contracts), 2) not water tite and anything in the bed will get wet during rain or truck washing, 3) he said even if they install it there is a possibility that it may rub the paint away around the bulkhead of the truck.

Can any Undercover owners validate these findings. Through searching I've heard of people having to shave a little off (1/16") around the bulkhead, but haven't found complaints of the cover 'sagging'.

TIA

Old 06-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had the Undercover for awhile and I have not seen any of these problems. That dealer is trying to sell you into some other product he makes more money on. I bet you can't stand on whatever he was trying to sell you and wash the roof of your truck, can you? The Undercover is the best value for the money.

Last edited by kd4crs; 06-14-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For #1, mine has never done this and I do not have a garage, so it is always out in the sun. Have had mine over a year.
For #2, mine has never leaked even when spraying upward at the carwash. The rubber seal does a very good job of sealing off the bed.
For #3 yes you may have to file off a little where the covere sweeps forward at the lower front of the cover. I will have to do this with mine as I noticed just a slight scuff mark on the bed paint. As I said I have had it a year and this has not been a big deal, at least until now.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:21 AM
1. ABS plastic sags over time?! yeah right... maybe, MAYBE if you leave your truck in the desert sun with a several hundred pounds of weight on it. ABS plastic is plyable under high heat and pressure. Will anything happen over a normal owners lifetime, not bloody likey, even if you do live in the desert! And it doesn't expand and contract like he says, get real! Run away from this idiot.

2. I've tried my hardest to get water in there. Maybe if you don't lock it and use a fire hose you can get water underneath it. Is this guy for real?! $10 says he's trying to pawn off a high priced fiberglass cover that he'll make more money on. I hate this guy...

3. This is his only close to being true statement. Some folks have reported an ultra tight fit. Undercover addmitted it and was supposed to correct it. For the owners that have this happen, a couple minutes with the dremel or a heat gun will do the fix.

Whatever you decide to buy, don't buy from that ****-clown. I hope he goes out of business and loses everything he holds dear. Oh, and I AM an Undercover owner...

Old 06-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Gotta concur with Dzervit. I love my cover. I did have to shave the sides down a bit because it was rubbing. I called them and they said the early runs didn't get shaved down enough and I could either shave it down or they would ship me a new one for free!? What! Didn't expect that kind of service.

I've washed my truck and never had a drop of water get inside even under direct streams. Now maybe if I got down below the lip and shot a stream of water up under the over hand I might get some water in.

I have no sign of sagging. It is a year old and even when it is 95+ I don't see any signs of sagging. In fact I stand on mine weekly to wash the roof. Kids think it is cool to stand on Daddy's truck.

I couldn't recommend the undercover any higher. It gives me a lockable bed that is water tight and comes off very easy when my truck needs to work.

Maybe the dealer knows more than I do but I would rebuy this cover in a heartbeat.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Ohhh I did change one thing that was a pain.

I hated the keyrings that were used to hold the cover on so I went to target and bought two black plastic coated master locks that are travel size. I reemed out the holes near the cab that the rings would run through and hooked the locked there instead. Now when I need to take the cover off I just unlock the locks and lift them out. Much faster. Maybe it is more secure but the ease of use is what I like the best.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:04 AM
1) Our truck sits outside as well. We haven't had our cover for very long (5 months?) so it hasn't sat in the summer sun yet. But I doubt this will be a problem.

2) Very water tight!

3) I think they must have fixed this problem. This area was "bowed out" from the factory to prevent this very problem. I can't see this ever being an issue....at lease on the model we purchased.
--
Mitch
'05 SuperCrew FX4

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2005, 10:41 AM
I've had mine on for one year. No problem with sagging, or water getting in the bed. The only thing i did'nt like about it was the key rings that hold the rear, which i replaced with small hitch pins. That dealer is steering you down the wrong path, for whatever reason.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:55 AM
This is the type of positive info I was looking for. I called a different dealer and got a much better price. I ordered one and he said it should arrive in a day or two. Also just ordered my Bedrug last week, should be a nice combo. I also have the Bedrug in my 2004 FX4 and love it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:22 PM
UnderCover with Bedrug pics

I had the Undercover installed yesterday and put the Bedrug in today.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Hot. Love that combo! Not that I'm bias or anything...

Old 06-20-2005, 01:46 PM
i just got rid of my '04 lariat Supercrew. I kept the undercover bed cover and all parts. Less than a year old. If anyones interested email me at mkellypc@yahoo.com. Thanks

Old 06-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by cscoios
I had the Undercover installed yesterday and put the Bedrug in today.
Looks sharp....

Bed rug....bah...sissy stuff....can't work a rug....

Nah...just kidding...looks good....

Do the edges flare out near the cab on the newer models?

Old 06-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by vader716
Looks sharp....

Bed rug....bah...sissy stuff....can't work a rug....

Nah...just kidding...looks good....

Do the edges flare out near the cab on the newer models?
Vader,

The edges do flare out at the corners of the cab, shouldn't have to worry about any paint rubbing.

Quick Reply: Question for UnderCover owners...