2004 - 2008 F-150

power source?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power source?

all right I am a little electricly chalanged but I can figure out the basics. I am out hooking up the wireing for a few gages I am adding to my truck. I have run most of the wires except the power sources. I need to tap into a switched 12 volt ignition source and a switched light source. any one know some good simple easy sources to hook up to. any help would be great. thanks.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:45 PM
THERE IS LIGHT GREEN W/YELLOW STRIPE WIRE UNDER YOUR STEERING COLLUMN, THATS THE MAIN ONE. ,IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT

Last edited by jokergomez81; 06-14-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:09 AM
is that the switched ignition power source or the switched light power source? thanks

Old 06-12-2005, 01:17 PM
switched ignition power source

Old 06-12-2005, 02:42 PM
If you have aftermarket radio, consider taping both of those things from the radio power wire. Easy to do and both are available.

On the illumination on a gauge, unless the gauge is right in front of your eyes, you can just use the ignition on power to light up the gauge. The little bulb on the gauge will last a long time being on whenever you are driving the truck, you won't see the light during the day and it saves running two wires to each gauge.
Chris

Old 06-12-2005, 04:31 PM
thanks guys for the info. I found my power wire under the stering collumn. and I pulled the light switch out of the dash and tapped into the power output from the dimmer switch so if I dim the rest of my gauges I also dim my new gauges. I wont be able to finish putting everything in till tomorrow when mt a-pillar gauge mount gets here. all the wireing is done though. thanks.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Jasonkola

Lets have some pics when you are done. Are you having the pod painted to match the intertior?
I will be doing the same when I return from Disney w/ the family next week. My pod should already be paint matched, I think that is the way to go to keep a factory look. What gauges are you using? I went with Autometer Cobalt series A/F Ratio, water temp, and trans temp for instance. The D-PIC will ultimately go in the coin slot location. You can get the factory primer and paint from www.egauges.com and do it your self if you want.

Scott

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2005, 09:15 PM
I will get it painted if the color is off too mutch. I am hopeing it comes in a glossy black so I don't need to paint it. what color did yours come as from the factory? I went with the dual gauge pod. the brand of gauges I went with were Cyberdyne. I have a digital transmission gauge and the air/fuel ratio gauge. I thought of getting the d-pic but it was so spendy and also it didn't match the rest of my gauges differant color differant brand. maybe in the future if Cyberdyne offers a d-pic gauge that matches the rest and has a better price I will upgrade to the tripple gauge pod. I will post some pics when I get it done. if I have to get it painted I guess I will be waiting another week or so to get it done. I look foreword to your pics when you get yours done.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Jason

I got mine from Moss Motors and it did come gloss black. However, my interior is grey so I wanted it to match.

Hmm, Cyberdine. That sounds familiar??

Looking forward to to your pics as well

"I'll Be Back"
Scott

Old 06-13-2005, 10:44 PM
installed my a-pillar gauges today turned out good. couldn't get a good pic. heres the best pic I could get befor my batteries died in my camera.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by jasonkola
thanks guys for the info. I found my power wire under the stering collumn. and I pulled the light switch out of the dash and tapped into the power output from the dimmer switch so if I dim the rest of my gauges I also dim my new gauges. I wont be able to finish putting everything in till tomorrow when mt a-pillar gauge mount gets here. all the wireing is done though. thanks.

How do you get the switch out of the dash. I need to find the high beam wire to connect to my kc lights. Does anyone know what color the high beam wire is? Is there a better place to tap into it at than taking the switch out?

thanks

Old 07-06-2005, 11:21 PM
the switch comes out quite easy. the plastic part of the dash like about a 4 inch squait arround the switch pops right out of the dash. I think I just took a pocket knife at the seam and pried and poped it right out. I think you will have to test to find the brights wire.

Quick Reply: power source?