2004 - 2008 F-150

ready to HID...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that cutoff and lack of glare doesn't look too bad. Granted their is a rather large hot spot, but it doesn't look to hurt oncoming traffic or performance horribly. Definitely helps cut down on the full retro work and money. So that is just a set of rebased D2R bulbs? Torresu, can you show us how you wired everything? Many thanks again for all your help and pictures! You have truely done an awesome job and should be praised for the pioneering in doing this project.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:26 PM
My concerns with the most current pictures is that you are not getting the full potential of HID lighting out of your headlights. Yes it does save on retrofitting and coming up with alot of custom ideas and headaches, but the difference in output is fairly obvious. It generated a brighter hotspot as I imagined it would.
I would suggest, for those who decide to go this route is to build an underbelly shield. A piece of metal that goes underneath the HID bulb to prevent light to hit the bottom of the reflector, causing glare. This means, all the light hits the upper portion of the reflector and only shines down the road and not upwards. Make sense?

Old 06-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Yeah this looks like a good option. Torresu, how are your headlights without your high beams? Do you miss the high beams? I'm thinking I still might do a retro fit with projectors in the blacked Harley Style headlamps and then cover the chrome reflector with black so I can still have my high beams and a little better output.

HIDPlanet, How do you think the retro fit I described would look? Would it even be possible to put black metal (flashing or whatever it is called) over the chrome reflector to have a straight surface that goes from the edge of the projector to the edge of the reflector?

I'm just thinking I might miss my high beams too much, and then be disappointed by the output of the reflectors. It's easy to see the glare isn't too bad, but it's hard to tell how the output is in terms of lighting up the road. I mean looking at the pic of Torresu lighting up the road, it really doesn't look that bright on the HID side...or maybe that's just the camera. Just skeptical that the quality is as good or close to regular reflector HID.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Well the only way to retain high beams with projectors is to use Bi-Xenon Projector units. This uses an armature to allow more light to pass thru the lens in a higher pattern than the low pattern.
With a projector retrofit, you do not utilize trhe reflector surface for lighting anymore so you can do with it as you wish.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:38 AM
Yeah, it's just such a hard call. Because the F150 headlights are so big, throwing a BMW style projector into that reflector just looks really funky, a little less so if I cover that reflector though. Still that large headlight opening and just one single projector hole would just not look awesome. It's such a darn hard call. I wonder if you even have a need for high beams after putting HID bulbs into the reflector like Torresu did. It's a really tough call. Maybe I could photo shop that other guy's lights who did a projector retro and see how it'd look on black....hmm, have to learn how to do that to. lol I've got a lot of thinking and learning to do for this one.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:28 AM
Angry

I don´t now whats wrong with play or take a funy time on customize ours trucks, "hiderize" at home your truck is alot more funy like goto pep boys to buy a china made grille inserts or put a ugly painted h13´s !!!...

I do this post because I like my truck and I like to show you part of my crazy ideas, I no to plan sell or some thing... this proyect is only to explore and play...

F150duke need for high beams??? see some ideas..

Last edited by torresu; 06-14-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Not sure what the pictures are?

I'd still like to know what D2R bulb you used?

Old 06-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Old 06-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey Torresu,

Once again, man that is awesome! Where would I find bulbs like that, which also have the halogen for the high beams? I was wanting to stay around 4300K for the whitest light and best output for the HIDs. Did you buy in a package that already came wired with what you needed or did you buy stuff separate? Just trying to figure out the parts I'll need for the 4300K HID conversion with halogens for high beams. Many thanks!

Duke

Old 06-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Torresu, can you please post a list of parts used and where you got them from?
Muchas Gracias

Old 06-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Torresu,

We all think what you are doing is very interesting. Could you please share a little moe info with us like parts you used and where you got them.

A lot of people have seen poor retrofit jobs that bilnd other people but your setup seems to be working well and might help a fw of us in the US make the move and try this.

I relly appreciae all the time you took to post the photos and I think you a made a few people rethink their opinion that HID's will not work in our headlights.

So could you give us some more info on your experience, what you used and how you did it?

Gracias

Old 06-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Bump....Torresu, you out there bud?

Old 06-30-2005, 01:14 PM
bump again. We are so close to an HID solution guys! Lets try and find these bulbs above that are HID and then halogen for the high beams. Then lets find out how to rebase them like torresu did and the wiring diagram which torresu did. Then we finally have a realistic and cost effective solution to HID!

Old 06-30-2005, 10:06 PM
You cant have halogen high beams once the HID bulb is in there. THe only thing you could do is use an auxillary light for highs after the rebase.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by HIDPLANET
You cant have halogen high beams once the HID bulb is in there. THe only thing you could do is use an auxillary light for highs after the rebase.
Well then why does that HID bulb have a halogen attached to it? And how do some 9004 HID rebased bulbs say hi and lo.

Quick Reply: ready to HID...