2004 - 2008 F-150

transmission temp gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The line port is for checking transmission fluid pressure for diagnostics. I hadn't thought of tapping in at the pressure ports for a temp gauge.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The test port is usally the best place to put in a trans temp gauge. Tapping it into the pan gives you a lower reading, putting it on the output line to the cooler gives you an over high reading.
Putting on the return side give you a too low reading.
The test port is going to give the most accurate reading.
That's from putting them in many GM and Mopar rigs. Never towed heavy with a Ford so never put one in a Ford product.
Chris

Old 05-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Interesting....used to measure transmission pressure. Thanks!

I hope you're right Chris. Thanks for the advice. (that's what I'm going to do....it's a lot easier!)
--
Mitch
'05 SuperCrew FX4

Old 06-01-2005, 02:54 AM
Account Deactivated at User's Request
Teflon tape not a good idea.....

All the stuff I read about using teflon tape on temp senders is that it is a big no-no. Always go naked. It affects the grounding of the unit and causes inaccurate readings....

Old 06-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by raalden
All the stuff I read about using teflon tape on temp senders is that it is a big no-no. Always go naked. It affects the grounding of the unit and causes inaccurate readings....

What he said.
Teflon tape is like wrapping the sendor in plastic...
Chris

Old 06-01-2005, 04:10 PM
So how come AutoMeter says to do it in their instructions.

I can see where the teflon might melt or something (not good) but I don't think it matters if it acts an electrical insulator. That's why they ask you to run a seperate wire for a ground and to keep it as close to the sender as possible.

What am I missing here?
--
Mitch
'05 SuperCrew FX4

Old 06-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure of the aftermarket jobbers, but stock replacement senders already come with sealer on the threads. I know it probably doesn't insulate as well as a turn or two of teflon tape, but still. Try it without any tape, if it leaks, oh well, you'll just have to take it out and seal it. No big deal.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by mitchman
So how come AutoMeter says to do it in their instructions.

I can see where the teflon might melt or something (not good) but I don't think it matters if it acts an electrical insulator. That's why they ask you to run a seperate wire for a ground and to keep it as close to the sender as possible.

What am I missing here?
--
Mitch
'05 SuperCrew FX4
My Autometer instructions say don't.
Also, why would you? Assuming they don't use a secondary ground, which would of course work, but would require adding a wire to the install.
The thread is tapered. Notice there is no sealer on the plug you pull out. At least in many years, I have never seen any sealer on one of these tapered plugs.

Last time I checked, electrical signals require a complete circuit. And Teflon tape is listed as an insulator...Of course the edge of the thread will probably cut through the Teflon anyway.

If you don’t make a good ground, the readings would not be accurate.
Well, use any method you like, it is your truck.
Chris

Old 06-01-2005, 07:48 PM
you should double check those instructions. my instructions say not to use teflon tape also. maybe you mis read them.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:20 AM
I installed mine yesterday. I put the sender in the line port without teflon or grounding the actual sender, and it seems to work bitching. I got the Faze Trans Gauge. The Sender also fit right into the line port with out any adapters and hasn't leeked yet. It's a good thing.

Drove it around town and on the freeway and the gauge seemed to read just over 150 on average. All though I still don't know if this is the best place to tap into (the line port) but I figure I will know if it has gotten too hot either way.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:25 PM
does it matter then when taking out the pressure sensor? also, do you just cut and tape up the wires from the original sensor? or just leave everything in place and tie that up? has anyone seen an adapter to still use both together? just thinking out loud......would really like the insurance of seeing how hot things do get when towing.....worse case gives you a chance to stop somewhere and let cool off.......thanks....jim

Old 06-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by jims94vmx
does it matter then when taking out the pressure sensor? also, do you just cut and tape up the wires from the original sensor? or just leave everything in place and tie that up? has anyone seen an adapter to still use both together? just thinking out loud......would really like the insurance of seeing how hot things do get when towing.....worse case gives you a chance to stop somewhere and let cool off.......thanks....jim
This is not a sensor location. It is a test location that the shops use to test line pressure. You are adding a sensor. You could put something like this in your oil drain plug hole too. See how it works?
Chris

Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Not to bring this back from the past but I didn't want to make a new post about it.

So I putting my guages in today and I go to remove the plug on the trans so I can put the sensor in. Well aparently I wasn't paying attention and between the mud/water/whatever else I've drivin through the plug pretty much seized itself nicely to the housing. With me not paying attention with the wrench I have put some nice little rounds on the plug. What would be my best situation in removing this or am I put the creak without a paddle?

Old 06-16-2005, 08:53 PM
if you've rounded it off I would recomend two ways to get it out. first I would try a good pair of vicegrips. clamp it down tight and it should take it out. if not I would try a small pipe wrench. some penitrateing oil on the threads soaking for a few minutes couldn't hurt either. good luck.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:55 PM
That sucks. I've been there (although my "line" plug was really easy to get out). I'm really suprised as the plug sits in transmission oil. It shouldn't be that tight....weird!

Fist soak it in penetrating oil (PB Blaster works best) I used a 7/16th inch wrench and it fit perfect (I just went and double checked) But since your's is rounded off, I would recommend purchasing a "bolt out" kit from Sears.

They work great!! I wish I'd bought a set a long time ago.
--
Mitch
'05 SuperCrew FX4

Last edited by mitchman; 06-16-2005 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: transmission temp gauge?