2004 - 2008 F-150

Air Force One installed, Engine Light is on!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
JP is correct. If you have fear, don't buy it. It's really that simple guys.

The bottom line is that this intake is in use on oodles upon oodles of trucks at this point and a couple have had a problem. I can assure you that the other intakes have had problems as well... the problem here is that you're seeing a cross-section directly from a supporting vendor that helps to keep this site free. In turn, that miniature section stands out because all of the customers are concentrated in one space.

Snip
RP
RockPick, I don't think anyone means any cheap shot here, (OK, maybe one person ) it's just a concern that any of us have. I am sure you are right about there being just a couple, and we all know how even something that only affects one person can be blown all out of proportion in a forum.
It sounds like the message here is that in one version of the PCM, or Flash there is a certain problem that is probably that the parameters of the program are such that it will 'blow a quick whistle' on a lean condition. If that is the case it probably mostly only pop up after a WOT episode. Of course, anyone who puts one of these on, nails it the first time out

I wonder if TP has narrowed it down to one flash, or one build PCM, and if so, can they post that info? If it's a flash, that would sure be easy to fix, if it's a PCM build, well, I can imagine some would want to 'have a problem' with that PCM to get a newer one.
Of course it might just be driving conditions, fuel, etc. That would explain why the same problem, but on so few units.

I think all but a couple of people know that TP makes/sells some really cool gear, and tryies harder than most any other vendor. That point has been underscored many times by the thrilled posts of their customers.

Chris

Old 05-14-2005, 03:28 PM
To me it's like adding an amp to an existing stock radio. All of a sudden the system sounds like crap. Immediately, the amp is to blame because it is new, although the real problem is a speaker was about to blow, and all the amp did was magnify the problem. I realize that's a loose analogy, but bear with me.

Let's not trash a product or the folks behind it until all the facts are out.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by loosebolt
I am not starting a flame or anything, just would like to understand how you KNOW it did not go lean? I would imagine you had some sort of data logging eqpt hooked up that consistently measured A/F? If so, what kind of eqpt were you using?
Yes the truck was constantly plugged in and data-logging.
As I previously stated, I will let Mike explain in detail...

Old 05-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
Yes the truck was constantly plugged in and data-logging.
As I previously stated, I will let Mike explain in detail...
ok so it was datalogging... but what about actual A/F ratios on a wideband?

Old 05-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
RockPick, I don't think anyone means any cheap shot here, (OK, maybe one person ) it's just a concern that any of us have. I am sure you are right about there being just a couple, and we all know how even something that only affects one person can be blown all out of proportion in a forum.
We're on EXACTLY the same page Chris. Thanks for the message. No worries bud...

RP

Old 05-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Fun thread, action adventure!

I'm a somewhat early build candidate at 09/03. So, if it's something about early builds ... I'll probably get to find out!? My AF1 is roll'n down the road trying to make its way to me and should be here next week. Won’t get it in till the weekend…

Wouldn't the computer learn and compensate for a wide range of driving styles and conditions to whatever AF is its target if given some time to run in closed circuit?

Old 05-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Update:

Cleared the Lean Codes on Friday per TP.
Again, I cleared them, not disabled them with the SuperChips 1714.

The truck has not produced another lean code yet.

I have driven 160 miles since clearing the codes.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by fatboy0103@***.
Cleared the Lean Codes on Friday per TP.
Again, I cleared them, not disabled them with the SuperChips 1714.

The truck has not produced another lean code yet.

I have driven 160 miles since clearing the codes.
That’s good news! Glad everything is settling down for you and working the way it should.

I slapped my AF1 on Friday evening, didn’t re-set the PCM during of after installation, and I’m code free. Five drive cycles so far that include 85mph + cruising, WOT through the gears from a dead stop, WOT downshifts (lots of them ), etc, etc. Awesome power gain is the bottom line.

The butt-dyno approves!

tycreek my build date also was 9-03 Kansas City

Last edited by jpdadeo; 05-15-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
That’s good news! Glad everything is settling down for you and working the way it should.

I slapped my AF1 on Friday evening, didn’t re-set the PCM during of after installation, and I’m code free. Five drive cycles so far that include 85mph + cruising, WOT through the gears from a dead stop, WOT downshifts (lots of them ), etc, etc. Awesome power gain is the bottom line.

The butt-dyno approves!
jp, I've been waiting for your update....

That's great!!!

I have gotten her up 115mph for a sustained 20-30 seconds a couple of times
yesterday, still no codes.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by fatboy0103@***.
jp, I've been waiting for your update....

That's great!!!

I have gotten her up 115mph for a sustained 20-30 seconds a couple of times
yesterday, still no codes.
Good news indeed fatboy103.
While R&D-ing for Mike, each time that I got a CEL it was at or near idle.
I think that my truck must be haunted or something. But now that we have it all figured out I too am all
One thing to remember, these trucks were not intended for high speeds. I have the top end removed from mine with the X-calibrator and of course I had to go out and give it a top end blast. On my 94 octane tune, which really dosen't change anything as far as speed goes, I took it up past the needle and it was still pulling 'Hard'. I backed out as it was getting a little squirrely up there. It don't handle like the Lightning did at 125+.

Last edited by Marc Carpenter; 05-15-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
Snip
On my 94 octane tune, which really dosen't change anything as far as speed goes, I took it up past the needle and it was still pulling 'Hard'. I backed out as it was getting a little squirrely up there. It don't handle like the Lightning did at 125+.
You have a 4x4 Screw; and you are driving it well over a hundred?
to quote "You are braver than I thought".

My two wheel drive Reg cab pulled OK to 100, but it's not way up in the air, and it's a lot lighter...
I hate to think what would happen at 120+ in a high 4x4 if you had to dodge a deer, dog, two legged idiot, etc.

Above 112, even many cars become unstable, air turbulence, vibrations etc.

These big monsters scare me a little at 90.

No I am not anti-fast car. I'm just anti driving faster than the design of the vehicle, tires, brakes.

I am sure you were doing it in the safest place available, and from your other 'interesting' rides I am confident you have a handle on going fast.

I am just posting for the 17 year old with his daddy's truck, who will try to top your speed in his local neighborhood....
Gee if he can do it, I bet I can....

(OK, what do you have in the garage? It doesn't involve JATO bottles or anything does it?)
Chris

Old 05-15-2005, 06:59 PM
These truck are pretty stable over 100mph, at least mine is; 4x2 with a 2" rear drop.

Last edited by jpdadeo; 05-17-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:52 PM
I wasn't making any form of a crack at TP. Don't think that anyone thinks I was, just wanted to make sure though. They've been a huge help for me in setting up mods. I just wanted to see that someone has been datalogging Air/Fuel combinations with the filter and testing after clearing the code and not just using Xcal or a chip to get rid of or ignore the code. I know a lot of people have done this mod and I might in the future. Just watching out for everyone, because I've done the same thing with something that was advertised to not hurt my car or pull a code and it did mess it up big time. But if datalogging of the air/fuel combinations to see if it really is running lean, and you've found that it doesn't....then all is well with the world.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
I wasn't making any form of a crack at TP. Don't think that anyone thinks I was, just wanted to make sure though. They've been a huge help for me in setting up mods. I just wanted to see that someone has been datalogging Air/Fuel combinations with the filter and testing after clearing the code and not just using Xcal or a chip to get rid of or ignore the code. I know a lot of people have done this mod and I might in the future. Just watching out for everyone, because I've done the same thing with something that was advertised to not hurt my car or pull a code and it did mess it up big time. But if datalogging of the air/fuel combinations to see if it really is running lean, and you've found that it doesn't....then all is well with the world.
I haven’t set a code yet and I feel confident I won’t with the AF-1 seeing how Mike did R&D on it for over a year to get the bugs worked out. The A/F ratio going lean was the main concern that pushed the release date back so far. Nevertheless, your right about wanting to make sure everything is OK. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:10 AM
I am assuming that if this intake is C.A.R.B. certified that t.p. had to show some proof this intake didn't run lean to get certified. I will probably be getting me one of these intakes but I want to see the results of those guys with the early build dates like mine. so far it has been more with probs than without. it seems reseting the codes seems to solve the probs for those with the prob. is there a way to reset the codes without useing a tuner? also I am thinking these intakes make it run as lean as possible without setting off the sensors. so if they are running lean its only slight. I am just curious what exactly can it do to a engine if running just slightly leaner than the recomendations. I can't imagine it being that bad for the engine. maybe cause the spark plugs not to last as long. it seems like it might help with the gas milage a little.

Quick Reply: Air Force One installed, Engine Light is on!!!