2004 - 2008 F-150

slip, clunk on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slip, clunk on acceleration

I notice a slight slip when accelerating only on occassion. I notice this especially when it's cold and I make a tight turn.From what I have found on the subject is :

1. Lubricating slip yolk

2. Replacing clutch pack

Does the grease work?Is is a permanent solution?

Mainly, is it harmful in anyway?? Or is this something that is somewhat characteristic with limited slips(I never owned a L/S before)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by jimmy k; 04-15-2005 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:54 AM
there is a TSB on the slip yoke and is a warranty issue. Don't worry about lubing it yourself.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:47 AM
if you feel a little shudder on only turns right or left then its clutch pack need to be replace..

if you feel a bit shudder on only forward straight then its slip yoke.

I suggest you tell a service mgr to have clutch pack replace w/ new kit and grease slip yoke at same time.

YOMAN!

Old 04-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Suspended
Do you start the truck and put it in drive right away?

I found I got a little driveline clunk when I do that, but if I wait 15 secounds or so it won't do it.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by ThumperMX113
Do you start the truck and put it in drive right away?
I found I got a little driveline clunk when I do that, but if I wait 15 secounds or so it won't do it.
agreed, i think you have to sit ther a minute, i cant stand to hear that noise, even if no damage is being done.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:53 PM
"Shudder" turned into "Slip Clunk"

Fellas, I initially had the "shudder" which progressed into the "slip / clunk". I had the dealership address it when I took it in for the 2nd service and they did the cluth pack/lube thing. Drove it off and was okay for a day and now the "slip/clunk" is back. It's apparent when I make an agressive accell from a stop and happens cold or warm....

Just going to have them address it at the next scheduled maintenance.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Re: "Shudder" turned into "Slip Clunk"

Originally posted by etggolf
Fellas, I initially had the "shudder" which progressed into the "slip / clunk". I had the dealership address it when I took it in for the 2nd service and they did the cluth pack/lube thing. Drove it off and was okay for a day and now the "slip/clunk" is back. It's apparent when I make an agressive accell from a stop and happens cold or warm....

Just going to have them address it at the next scheduled maintenance.

the slip[ yoke lube TSB does address the issue for a time, and then it comes back. It's looking like it needs to be done at every oil change.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:50 PM
I agree with J-150, I had the TSB done and it lasted for less than a week now it clunks again. It's going to be a maintenance item.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Mine slips warm or cold. I paid very close attention of it today, and after a 1/2 hr of driving, I made a right turn, gave it gas (not heavy gas) then slight slip then slight "bump" or clunk.

Does anyone know if it causes damage, or is it just an annoyance? I'm not sure I want to take it to the dealer if they don't have a permanent solution and if is not harmful.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Then you bring it in for clutch pack replace there is a TSB for that with your desribe.

It will not damage to your rearend but it will be just an annoying!!!

Its something about different spring rate for clutch pack to hard from soft...i can be wrong.

If i have MONEY and affordable for gear swap etc i would get Detriot True Trac (limit slip- the best!) cuz it has no clutch pack!!

Itself clutch pack can wear out after 40 or more thousands miles on truck.

YOMAN!

Old 04-16-2005, 12:56 AM
My truck also does the slip - clunk when accelerating aggressively in a straight line. The trans feel like its slipping for about almost 3/4 of a second and then clunk (slam) it gets going. Is this the same thing you guys are describing? Because my slip/clunk feels like its about to tear the truck apart sometimes. It is in no way a small clunk.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Thanks YOMAN
Huey, mine never slammed as hard as you describe ( it still may be a related problem though )

Old 04-16-2005, 07:40 AM
Huey,

Sounds like slip yoke need grease....i did it myself..

I just remove the drivehhaft and fill some grease inside the female slip yoke then put it back on. thats it. if you perfer warranty to take care of it then theres a TSB for it too

YOMAN!

Old 04-17-2005, 01:21 PM
What is a "slip yoke" what does it do? and why would lubricating this get rid of a clunk?

Please enlighten me fellow bretheren of the board

Old 04-17-2005, 01:41 PM
the slip yoke is basically where the driveshaft connects to the transmission. The driveshaft can slide front to back in this coupling; if it couldn't slide, your rear suspension wouldn't be able to travel vertically very well.

The clunk comes from when the yoke binds up slightly, then lets loose all at once (for lack of better descriptive terms).

Whether it's slip yoke or rear end clutch packs, what people describe as a 'slip' is actually a 'bind'

Quick Reply: slip, clunk on acceleration