2004 - 2008 F-150

octane ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
octane ?

As I start to install performance mods should I start using the High octane gas. I already use only 89 and sometimes the 93. The truck just seems to ride better.
I know you guys are high on the airaid but I was talked out of that and went with the K&N air charger and I'm very happy with it. The truck accelerates faster sounds meaner and has much better pick up off the start. Whoever posted that the K&N will do nothing to increase your power was wrong. I believe that the airaid may be better but I am happy with the K&N. Anyway this is the first perf. mod for me. Tuner will be next and I will go through troyer for that. I was just curiouse as to what gas you guys were running.

Scott

Old 03-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Run the lowest octane you can get away with without spark knock. Don't worry about 93 until you start talking programmers.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:12 AM
octane?

i know this subject has been beaten to death, but i have seen improvements at the track on high test fuel. i know exactly what ford says to run but i get better mileage by a little and better performance with high test fuel.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:16 AM
i had my dealer fill the tank with 93 when i bought it, and i was disappointed with the performance, the second tank was 87 and it ran like a dream. i always run 87 in it since thats what the factory tune is set for. when i get my BamaChips Xcalibrator this week I will be running 93 since it will be tuned for that

Old 03-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Quintin
Run the lowest octane you can get away with without spark knock. Don't worry about 93 until you start talking programmers.
I agree 100% with this rationale as well.

Mine gets 87 or 89. My Xcalibrator is in route next week so, we may be exploring the option for Premium fuel soon in my household... who knows.

Old 03-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Re: octane ?

Originally posted by Scott 7065
As I start to install performance mods should I start using the High octane gas. I already use only 89 and sometimes the 93. The truck just seems to ride better.
I know you guys are high on the airaid but I was talked out of that and went with the K&N air charger and I'm very happy with it. The truck accelerates faster sounds meaner and has much better pick up off the start. Whoever posted that the K&N will do nothing to increase your power was wrong. I believe that the airaid may be better but I am happy with the K&N. Anyway this is the first perf. mod for me. Tuner will be next and I will go through troyer for that. I was just curiouse as to what gas you guys were running.

Scott
If you read some of the posts, Airaid is the only CAI that provides significant power gains AND does not cause a lean air to fuel ratio. If your engine is running lean, you will know soon enough...Kevin

Old 03-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Quintin
Yup, I agree with that also.
You are throwing your money out the window if you are using a higher octane than 87 on an unprogrammed truck.

Actually, I have read that you can damage the engine using a higher oct. gas on an engine designed for 87.

Trending Topics

Old 03-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Octane Ratings?

Most pumps in my area have different ratings than what you guys are talking about. About 90% of the pumps here are 86,88,90, and occasionally 92.

So what should I be running on a factory 4.6L V8? I know the manual says to run 87, but it's hard to find 87 here. I've ran a few tanks on 86, and a few on 88, and can't tell that much of a difference performance wise.

Do ya'll think maybe regular is rated at 86 so people will bump up to the midrange gas in order to meet the factory suggestions?

Old 03-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Octane Ratings?

Originally posted by heybeermantx
Most pumps in my area have different ratings than what you guys are talking about. About 90% of the pumps here are 86,88,90, and occasionally 92.

So what should I be running on a factory 4.6L V8? I know the manual says to run 87, but it's hard to find 87 here. I've ran a few tanks on 86, and a few on 88, and can't tell that much of a difference performance wise.

Do ya'll think maybe regular is rated at 86 so people will bump up to the midrange gas in order to meet the factory suggestions?

"Run the lowest octane you can get away with without spark knock. Don't worry about 93 until you start talking programmers."

It's all above in black and white.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:42 PM
you must live at a higher altitude. there you can get away with using lower octane because the air is different. so, 86 would probably be the same as running 87 somewhere else

Old 03-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by takotruckin
you must live at a higher altitude. there you can get away with using lower octane because the air is different. so, 86 would probably be the same as running 87 somewhere else

Thanks Tako. I'm at about 3600ft, in the Texas panhandle, and that probably is the reason 86 is more comon than 87. And with gas prices supposed to increase approx. $0.24 from March 1 to March 31, it's back to the cheap stuff for me.

Last edited by heybeermantx; 03-06-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Ok

I know that stock, one should run 87 but I did not know if performance mods to octane ratio made a differance. I know once the tuner is installed you run whatever you are tuned for. I will continue with the medium grade as I get about 11 miles to the tank better and the truck runs smoother than 87.

Thanks guys
Scott

Old 03-06-2005, 10:22 PM
KevHunt

Sorry man, I do not know what that means. "run lean"
let me just say that it is hard for me to understand how different companies, seemingly coming out with the same product can differ all that much? The logic for me, which made sense, (cold air intake) having a metal tube/ heat conducting- therefore re-heating the cold air would not be as efficient) as the insulated K&N. Don't read this wrong, I'm not being a wise a$$ and am definately no mechanic. I'm just trying to understand, everyone is trying to sell their product, so if you don't know any better you just have to collect info and make a decision. Fill me in on the "lean" thing so if it happens to me I willl know. So far so good.

Thanks
Scott

Old 03-07-2005, 06:07 AM
i have the volant intake and report no problems with a lean condition, in any temperature. ive had it for 7 months now.

also there has been research done that proves that the intake material has minimal if any effect on the temperature of the air.

Quick Reply: octane ?