2004 - 2008 F-150

Underdrive Pulley Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x-star,

I have the Troyer Underdrive pulleys and the Efan kit. I have no issues at all to any of your questions. You will not "feel" a horspower gain of just 14 HP so don't bother for that reason.

I have done the complete Troyer Performance Stage 2 kit short of the AF1 air intake which is on order. I would do it all over again in a split second. The truck is completely different from a performance perspective. The only way to explain it is that the truck feels lighter and is more responsive. I have a blast passing people now when I need to, and I can do MUCH quicker than before.

I have not had any warranty issues and they have not complained about anything yet. I am also not worried about it as they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem in the first place. All dealerships are not like mine from what I read on this forum. I would ask the service manager if you are concerned before you go with the upgrades. Some don't care and some do, its a crap shoot....

Old 05-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi FATHERFORD, a little curious here,.
If it speeds it back up, then where is the horsepower gain? Just from the power steering and alt?

Also, with the seven second delay on the alt, designed to keep from loading during passing, how much do you gain? I mean after the seven seconds, of course.

The A/C would be presumed to be off when testing for power… or racing, so you wouldn’t get much there.

If it's from the alt, well, most of these guys have 1000 watt sound systems. They need more power to the alt, not less.

Now for a Blast and Scoot like you drive, it's a little different, I would imagine.

I know you know your speed stuff

I also know the driving conditions here on the high desert are a little different than most places.

How many 300 to 5000 foot grades are around your area? Just don't recall any in the Dallas, Houston, El Paso, and San Antonio areas but Texas is a BIIIG place, and I've spent less than a month in any part of it.

I know temps in most of Texas are a little cooler than here. This is full blown desert, much too rough for diamondbacks, too hot, too little water for cattle, etc.
It’s a little like Abilene, but not as pleasant a climate, and not as much water.

It's also above 3000 feet, but to go to 'town' you drive up and over 5000 feet and then down to sea level. Many of my neighbors commute the pass every day. I did for years.

Traffic is a tad heavier here too. I have gone through Dallas at rush hour with a motorhome, towing, and was shocked when the local guy riding with me complained about traffic... he was kidding right?

Sitting in rush 'hour' traffic for three or four hours idling with the a/c on draws a lot of voltage, and you need all the a/c you can get on these smoggy hot days.

You see the concerns.
Not being a troll, just different conditions here, I think.
Could be wrong, just looking for different takes, for several of my local ‘brethren’ and myself.

Chris

Old 05-03-2005, 09:21 PM
SacramentoJoe, I have to call you on that. I lived in El Centro, Pleasant Grove, Freeport, and in the infamous Rio Linda. Where exactly does it get over a 100?

Where does it get hot? I was up in Rosemead last summer, didn't even wear a hat on my bald head... Down here, it was 117 degrees when I left...

Also, the Sac area is about 6-12 feet over sea level. Sorta a different condition. Unless your deer hunting up on Bailey ridge, there ain't a whole lotta climbin. I could see the capital dome from El Centro, 20 miles away…
Here normal traffic goes from 80 to 0 a dozen times a trip, and it can take 1 to 5 hours to go up the pass. Lotsa dead cars along the side of the road every hot day. About 80 days a summer are over 100. 20 days over 115 two summers ago.

(Ok I admit I am jealous SacramentoJoe. I loved Sacramento, And would live there in a shot if I could. Not hot, never cold, Lottsa water, trees, etc. Rivers. Bird hunting, Great fishing. Deer hunting an hour away. I haven’t seen a bass, a pheasant, a salmon, etc. since I moved south.)
Lucky bustard.
Chris

Old 05-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Chris i think you need a main crankshaft overdrive pully, and yes they do make them.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Crankshaft and water pump are the two you change on F150’s

Old 05-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by jpdadeo
Crankshaft and water pump are the two you change on F150’s
To get you caught up... most, if not all mustang u/d pulleys come with 3 and they are still cheaper than troyer. But the alt pulley is just a tad larger and most say its an optional install.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:02 PM
I was trying to get you caught up. F150’s only use two

Old 05-03-2005, 10:15 PM
For myself ... I figure underdrives would get the AC pump and alt back down closer to stock speeds after large jump in gear change.

Hope to get the efans & pulleys in this weekend...

Old 05-03-2005, 10:16 PM
jpdadeo If you change the crankshaft to a larger pulley, and the water pump to a counter size pulley, thus maintain the water/fan speed, then any horse power must come from the power steering, the alternator and the A/C.

Since I don't use the A/C when hot rodding, and the pulley idling can't draw more than a couple of horsepower, then you are tapping the alt and the power steering for your gains.

Turning the A/C slower would cause it to cycle more. Laws of thermodynamics rear their ugly heads.
If you want the interior at 75 degrees, it takes exactly the same ponies no matter how you extract them. Many short burst, or less long bursts. In the course of a mile, you will use exactly the same gas/ power if you turn the compressor slower, or faster. It only loads when it is needed, and it loads until you don't need it.
That's assuming it works well enough to accomplish the load. If it doesn't cool as completely, well, you could get the same effect by shutting it off.... or setting the thermostat to 80 or 90...

So the horsepower must come from the power steering and alternator.

My usage is right on the line where I don't have to upgrade my 130 amp alternator.
I use about 65 amps at idle, optimax. The unit makes 71 amps at idle. About the same margin as a fully equipped model. So adequate, but I wouldn't want to drop any more from the alt, or it will catch up to me on a hot day somewhere.
So net, an under drive setup would let me scavenge the 'extra' that goes into my power steering.
I dunno, my tires are a little wider than stock, Don't know that I want to do that. The power steering only draws about 2-4 hp when running in a straight line. And extra horsepower in turns, I don’t need…

If you aren’t salvaging a little power from the big draw, the fan and water pump, where the heck is 14 horsepower coming from???

I ran the numbers nominal, and maximal, don't see the amounts ....

Somebody show me where the ponies are coming from????

If something is wrong with my math, or if I am forgetting a component, let me know.

We used the under drive pulley system on a street rod, about ten years ago, and it worked fine, but we didn't have A/C, Stereo, etc. Just a bucket with lots' of wind in your face.
We were using a 37 amp alt, and twin electric fans, custom made system, using two 81 ‘Vette secondary electric fans, and of course no power steering. We were scavenging the water pump, but only by 10-20 percent, and we were running a 'washer' style thermostat, and controlling warm-up with the e-fans.
We defiantly got more power, but this was nothing you would sit in traffic with.

The concept seems good for racing, hot rodding, but not so good if you actually drive the truck.
Show me where I am going wrong here.
Chris

Old 05-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by jpdadeo
I was trying to get you caught up. F150’s only use two
Once again, you guys must camp out at the troyer website or something, but the steeda is a THREE peice, the March is a THREE peice, FRPP is a THREE peice, MAC is a THREE peice, SHM is a THREE peice. Maybe your F-150 will use only two, but there are many others that will use three because their vehicles electric demands at idle are not that high. Or maybe you dont have a impact wrench to remove the alt pulley is another reason it goes on uninstalled.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by tycreek
For myself ... I figure underdrives would get the AC pump and alt back down closer to stock speeds after large jump in gear change.

Hope to get the efans & pulleys in this weekend...
I ain't ah talkin to you, Tycreek, you dun stuffed them big gears unner your truck, and dun chainged it all around.

You'uns need unduh-drive, just to get back to where the good folks at ford made it.

Seriously, you're setup needs that, I'm just questioning the results on a daily hot-country driver, with an aftermarket sound system...
Your truck is a pretty extreme example, (cool one, too)
Chris

Old 05-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm lazy. I don't want to take my truck apart to put a set of pulleys on that might get me 10-15 horsepower on a good day.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by ChrisAdams
SacramentoJoe, I have to call you on that. I lived in El Centro, Pleasant Grove, Freeport, and in the infamous Rio Linda. Where exactly does it get over a 100?

Where does it get hot? I was up in Rosemead last summer, didn't even wear a hat on my bald head... Down here, it was 117 degrees when I left...

Also, the Sac area is about 6-12 feet over sea level. Sorta a different condition. Unless your deer hunting up on Bailey ridge, there ain't a whole lotta climbin. I could see the capital dome from El Centro, 20 miles away…
Here normal traffic goes from 80 to 0 a dozen times a trip, and it can take 1 to 5 hours to go up the pass. Lotsa dead cars along the side of the road every hot day. About 80 days a summer are over 100. 20 days over 115 two summers ago.

(Ok I admit I am jealous SacramentoJoe. I loved Sacramento, And would live there in a shot if I could. Not hot, never cold, Lottsa water, trees, etc. Rivers. Bird hunting, Great fishing. Deer hunting an hour away. I haven’t seen a bass, a pheasant, a salmon, etc. since I moved south.)
Lucky bustard.
Chris
I live in North Sacramento. (Near MC Clellan Airforce Base). It does get VERY hot here in July and August. You are right, there aren't many hills BUT, I am ALWAYS heading up the Sierras to ride my Dirtbike or take the kids out on their quads and I usually throw the bikes in the back and pull a mini trailer with the quads on them.
You should come up here sometime and we can go hunting and fishing. I just got back from Striper fishing this past weekend. Caught me a 20lb'er. I was actually sturgeon fishing but I'll take what I can get.

I've driven the "grapevine" more than I'd like to admit. Before I moved up here 2 years ago my now wife lived in Sacramento and I lived in Huntington Beach and YES, I moved to Sac from HB to be with her.
Next time you are in town hit me up and we'll go fishing or hunting.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Quinton, I would do it. I just can't find 5 horsepower from this swap, much less three times that. Maybe on a 5.4, that's been tweaked till hell wouldn't have it, but certainly not on my tiny little 4.6.

Which runs pretty good, actually.
Superchips premium tune, AEM BruteForce, and Magnaflow exhaust.

Gears would be nice....
Chris

Old 05-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I dunno...

I'm gonna do a tuner and exhaust one of these days and call it done. I spend most of my commute loafing around on the highway, so I'm not really out to push the envelope.

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley Upgrade?