2004 - 2008 F-150

Knocking sound and loud Alternator??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking sound and loud Alternator??

I got two questions...

Frist being, has anyone noticed how loud there Alternator is?? I can hear it inside the cab with the windows up, and I can hear it everytime I go to put up a window as it sounds like it's stuggling or something? I can also hear the Alternator when I'm outside of the truck with it idling....is that normal??

Secondly..I don't remember if I heard this when I picked up the truck back in October of 04 when I got it, but after driving a few miles, I hear a knocking sound coming from the engine, sounds like it's underneath the engine? It does not do that when it's col, just when the engine is hot? Do you know what that might be?

Any help would be great!

Old 02-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Geesh Titan. You must have Bionic Ears or something with all your rattles, noises, and Tail Gate squeeks. I think you need to turn up your radio and Chill..

Old 02-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned
Originally posted by BHibbs
Geesh Titan. You must have Bionic Ears or something with all your rattles, noises, and Tail Gate squeeks. I think you need to turn up your radio and Chill..
I just have a problem with noises..I can't stand em!! I think I'm the pickest person in the world when it comes to noises! It sucks!!

Old 02-28-2005, 06:00 PM
I would have sold that P.O.S. a long time ago.

Old 02-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Banned
Originally posted by nightmoves
I would have sold that P.O.S. a long time ago.
Hey hey hey....we all drive the same truck

BTW...My names Matt

Old 02-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What does an alternator sound like? I don't hear anything out of the ordinary in mine.

Cam phasers get noisier as the engine gets warmer, but they click and the sound is concentrated towards the front of the engine.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Banned
Originally posted by Quintin
What does an alternator sound like? I don't hear anything out of the ordinary in mine.

Cam phasers get noisier as the engine gets warmer, but they click and the sound is concentrated towards the front of the engine.
It sounds like a whine from the engine, it gets louder if I turn on my heat or AC or put up windows of the truck. I can hear the whine outside of the truck at idle. I don't know if it's a normal sound or not.

That knocking sound I'm hearing does not come from in front of the engine, I do hear the lifters though, and I do know thats normal, but it's a heavy knock. If you open up the hood with the truck on, you can't hear it. Only when you step away from the truck. It sounds like it's underneath the drivers door more towards the bottom of the engine. It only down this when the engine is Hot, engine sounds great when it's cold, but when it's hot, it makes that knocking.

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by TritonXLT
It sounds like a whine from the engine, it gets louder if I turn on my heat or AC or put up windows of the truck. I can hear the whine outside of the truck at idle. I don't know if it's a normal sound or not.

That knocking sound I'm hearing does not come from in front of the engine, I do hear the lifters though, and I do know thats normal, but it's a heavy knock. If you open up the hood with the truck on, you can't hear it. Only when you step away from the truck. It sounds like it's underneath the drivers door more towards the bottom of the engine. It only down this when the engine is Hot, engine sounds great when it's cold, but when it's hot, it makes that knocking.
Are you sure it's not the compressor? It'll run with defrost too.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL Triton I hear ya! Both of my 04's and the 05 had that same whine. I had the Ford field engineer(whose a friend of mine) listen to it and its normal believe or not. Its just the sound of the 5.4 I guess. The old 390's had the exact same sound. I have heard the knock also...face it the 5.4 is not a pretty soundin engine but it runs good so the hell with it!

Old 02-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Banned
Originally posted by 1969Mach
Are you sure it's not the compressor? It'll run with defrost too.
I don't really know?? Does anyone else hear a whine from there engine?

Old 02-28-2005, 11:03 PM
sorry dont know about the alternator, but the knock could be exhaust pulses hitting the passanger side cat. there is a tsb on this 04 20 6. hope this helps

Old 02-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Unhappy

My engine started knocking about 2 days ago, just before the check engine light came on. Tech at the dealer said it was something to do with the camshaft, but he couldn't be sure. I'll post back when I find out the details tomorrow.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Hey Matt, If you install the flowmaster cat back system all those little noises will go away!
lol j/k

Quick Reply: Knocking sound and loud Alternator??