2004 - 2008 F-150

Odometer Display Disappearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odometer Display Disappearing

Hey all,

I haven't had many problems with my truck, luckily. But lately I've been having an issue with the odometer display. At random times, the little screen in the dash will go blank. The compass, temperature, and odometer are all gone, but the screen still has the green backlight. The first time it happened, I looked through the manual to see if there was a fuse just for this part of the dash, but couldn't find anything. Sometimes I will be driving, it goes out and a few minutes later it will come back. Other times after it goes out, it could take a couple days for it to come back. Anyone else had this problem?

I know most of you will probably say "take it to the dealer", which I probably will anyway since I'll have it there for that butyl pad issue, but they will more than likely need for the display to be out in order to troubleshoot it.

Any ideas?

Old 02-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Mother Ford is just doing a download to see if you're speeding, it's nothing to worry about.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Happens To Me All The Time A Hard Hit To The Top Of The Dash And Its Back I Love Beating My Ford To Get Her To Work I Guess Thats What You Get After 121000 On The Odometer Driven Hard All Her Life

Old 06-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by peterpan2003
Happens To Me All The Time A Hard Hit To The Top Of The Dash And Its Back I Love Beating My Ford To Get Her To Work I Guess Thats What You Get After 121000 On The Odometer Driven Hard All Her Life
Really I Cannot Believe That Works

Old 06-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by OsuSully
Hey all,

I haven't had many problems with my truck, luckily. But lately I've been having an issue with the odometer display. At random times, the little screen in the dash will go blank. The compass, temperature, and odometer are all gone, but the screen still has the green backlight. The first time it happened, I looked through the manual to see if there was a fuse just for this part of the dash, but couldn't find anything. Sometimes I will be driving, it goes out and a few minutes later it will come back. Other times after it goes out, it could take a couple days for it to come back. Anyone else had this problem?

I know most of you will probably say "take it to the dealer", which I probably will anyway since I'll have it there for that butyl pad issue, but they will more than likely need for the display to be out in order to troubleshoot it.

Any ideas?
2 places those things connect. One is the IP, as the whole instrument cluster is sold as one piece.
Two is down behind the E-brake, there is a green bolt with a bunch of wires. This is the ground for the dash. If this is loose the IP can act funny.
I suspect you need an IP. Take it in.
Good luck
Chris

Quick Reply: Odometer Display Disappearing