2004 - 2008 F-150

Getting a Re-Flash

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting a Re-Flash

Hey guys, I have a friend that owns the same truck as I do and he took his truck into the dealership and told them he had a hesitation at the start and they re-flashed his chip, and he says that it seems more powerful and everything.

I am going to bring mine in, but I am worried that if I tell them I have hesitation that the start, they are going to want to take a ride in my truck and disagree with me. And I am worried if I ask for a re-flash that they are going to play dumb. I really need one because my computer code is really old. My truck was on the lot on January of last year, which means my computer is 10+ months out of date.

What do you guys think I should do?

Old 02-06-2005, 01:10 PM
The last time I got my PCM reflashed was about a 2 weeks ago and all I did was ask my service dealer at my dealership that I want my PCM reprogrammed to the latest version because I did my research on the web and heard that it may improve the "throttle hesitation" on the truck. That was basically what I said and they did the PCM reprogram without any further questions. The latest PCM reflash that I got didn't feel any different than the other earlier PCM reflashes that I got.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Do you think i will feel a difference if I get mine re-programmed since mine hasnt been touched since January of last year?

Old 02-06-2005, 01:19 PM
I took mine in last month told them I heard about the reflash and I wanted to try it. They did it on the spot took about 45 mins, no questions asked. I can feel a little difference.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Ford Man Dan
Do you think i will feel a difference if I get mine re-programmed since mine hasnt been touched since January of last year?
I think you might feel a little difference in the way your throttle responds, but it's nothing compared to the improvement that the 1714 could do to your ride.

Old 02-28-2005, 03:15 PM
I too have the great hesitation as mentioned many of times on this forum. But I have 2 question if you guys can chime in:

1.) My build date is 4/04. Is there a more current reflash that I'm missing.

2.) Do they charge for a re-flash?

Thanks for any input.

Carl

Old 02-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Carl, my truck build date is 2/04, and you can get the reflash free under warranty.

I didn't buy my truck from them, but I took my truck to Kenny Ross Ford in Castle Shannon, and I had some warranty work done including replacing the clutch packs in my rear end (had the shudder). anyways, I typed up my problems to give them, and here's what I asked about the reflash:

"On occasion, the truck has a slight throttle lag, and sometimes the engine rpm’s jump around at idle, like sitting at idle at a red light. Can you check if my truck needs a PCM program upgrade/reflash according to TSB # 04-21-14?"

When I picked up my truck, the work order stated that they reprogrammed my PCM, and I could tell a difference in throttle response!

Old 02-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks a bunch, Steve. Great info.

That make it easy for me becuase I live in Bethel Park right off Rt.88

I'll be sure to give them a call and schedule an appointment. Also I will post my results. (finger's crossed)

Thanks again,
Carl

Old 02-28-2005, 04:01 PM
No problem. I'm in South Park.

Check the "poor mileage" message post, I asked you what your MPG average is for driving around here in the South Hills. I'm curious to know since our trucks are similiar with 5.4 and 18" wheels.

Quick Reply: Getting a Re-Flash