2004 - 2008 F-150

Rattling noise from engine area

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling noise from engine area

Has anybody had a rattling noise come from what sounds like somewhere in front of the engine. It sounds to me like some plastic vibrating real fast. It only happens when you pull away from a dead stop, like at a red light. The sound lasts for as long as you stay at about 1000 rpm. And it only occurs when the engine is warm, not cool.

If anybody has experianced this, please reply.

I hate trying to explain these intermittent problems to Ford and they can't make it happen.

2004 SuperCab Lariat, built Feb 2004 in Norfolk.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:38 PM
I had the same thing! Check your stock air intake tube, where it goes into the driver's side fenderwell. Mine kept popping out of the fender hole and was rattling around.

I just got my truck back from the dealer and had some work done. I told them to check the loose intake tube. The work order sheet says they put a new rubber gasket in. Since I just got my truck back, I haven't had a chance to pop the hood and look at it. But driving today, I didn't hear the rattle.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Banned
Re: Rattling noise from engine area

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moller
[B]Has anybody had a rattling noise come from what sounds like somewhere in front of the engine. It sounds to me like some plastic vibrating real fast. It only happens when you pull away from a dead stop, like at a red light. The sound lasts for as long as you stay at about 1000 rpm. And it only occurs when the engine is warm, not cool.

If anybody has experianced this, please reply.

I hate trying to explain these intermittent problems to Ford and they can't make it happen.

Well, I don't know if this is what you have, but this is what I used to have up until last week....When you open up the hood of your truck, at the very back of your engine just right in front of your black plastic grill that sits out side of your front windshield, you will see a Long strip of black rubber Weather stripper. My my surprise I noticed that weather gaurd just pops right off and is really just sliding around and vibrating cuasing a heavy rattling sound which I thought was coming from the dashbourd. I poped off that black rubber peice and took some clear silicone and filled in the middle of the weather strip with silicone where it pops right onto the metal again to hold it in place!
It worked for me! I always thougt there was something in my dashboard making all the rattling, but I just can't believe noise from the engine could get into the cabin so easily! I still have numours rattles I'm trying to find and fix, but not easy.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
18342 2004-2005 F-150 5.4L 3V - TICKING NOISE FROM UPPER ENGINE
SOME 2004-2005 F-150 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.4L 3-VALVE ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A TICKING NOISE FROM THE UPPER ENGINE. IF THE NOISE IS LIGHT, COMES FROM THE TOP FRONT PASSENGER SIDE OF THE ENGINE, OCCURS AT IDLE, GOES AWAY ABOVE 1000 RPM, AND IS MORE PRONOUNCED AS OIL TEMPERATURE INCREASES (ABOVE 160F/71C), REPLACE THE CAM PHASER WITH KIT 3R2Z-6A257-AA (INTERCHANGEABLE SIDE TO SIDE). IF THE TICKING NOISE DOES NOT MATCH THESE SYMPTOMS, CHECK INSTEAD FOR COLLAPSED LASH ADJUSTERS AND/OR CAM SHAFTS THAT MAY BE GALLED.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 12/16/2004

Old 02-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Quintin, I hope it not that serious.

It realy sounds like plastic parts. Mayby the fan shrowd or plastic fender wells.

SteveVFX4, I checked the plastic intake that's in the fender. It is a little loose, but when I wiggle it, it doesn't really sound like it. To rule it out I'm gonna tape it temporaraly.

TritonXLT, the weather strip is pretty snug. This sound I was trying to describe really sounds like it's coming from right behind the grill.

Anybody else?

Old 06-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moller, did you ever get this resolved. I'm now experiencing the same thing...

Old 06-15-2005, 01:28 AM
I have that too. It sounds like a mini diesel

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2005, 02:12 AM
I'm with Quintin on this one. I have the cam phaser issue, the loudest one my dealer has heard.

It is a pronounce tick from under the valve cover, and if you are very smooth with the throttle, you can slowly increase RPM's and get it to tick louder. Hold the throttle at that point and you should be able to sustain the noise.

This is what I had to do to show my dealer-played with it at home until I knew what it took to make it nice and pronounced.

The redesigned phasers came in yesterday, so I hope to have the truck in tomorrow for replacement. I was assured by my tech and mechanic that no damage was occurring internally (hey, he has yet to let me down).

Good luck-

Old 06-15-2005, 02:37 AM
The issue that I'm talking about is not the cam phaser TSB. Mine is exactly as Moller described. It is definately something rattling in the engine compartment.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when i first got my truck it made a really bad noise when it was over 65 mph. it turned out to be the vinyl/rubber shroud the goes from the front frame to the radiator on the drivers side. it is the piece that directs all the air across the radiator that comes thru the grill. this piece had come loose and appeared to be fastened until it was pulled on. snapped it back in place and noise was gone.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:47 PM
It's been so long ago since original post, I thought this thread was gone.

Well anyway, yes I did finally figure it out.

As stated in the original post, the rattle was only at low rpm generally during accelleration. It as the big plastic air tube that runs from the fender well to the air filter box. The thing snaps into the air filter box and the other end in the fender well. It is fastened to a metal bracket in the middle. On mine, it was the plastic vibrating against the metal bracket. At first I didn't think that was it, but sandwiched a thick piece of foam tape between them and haven't heard it since.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Awesome, thanks for the update. Looks like I now have a project for this evening

Quick Reply: Rattling noise from engine area