2004 - 2008 F-150

Aftermarket items BE AWARE

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket items BE AWARE

Hello Everyone

Just for FYI.....All of you 04-05 Truck owners need to check with your local dealer before adding aftermarket items. Check with the service managers. Rumors have it that if a problem with your truck can be related to an aftermarket item, it WILL NOT be covered under warranty. At least this is what my dealership mentioned. You guys and gals need to double check with your dealer just to be on the safe side. If there is another dealer in your area, check with them also. We pay too much money for these trucks to be turned away for repairs.

I enjoy mods as much as all of you, but be careful. i have also heard that installing aftermarket chips can be bad. If you have a problem with your engine, even if you pull the chip out, Ford can tell if this has been done.

Sometimes i think all this is to scare people from adding aftermarket equipment and Ford is trying to minimize warranty repairs to save a buck.

Just do some double checking with one or two dealers before installing aftermarket equipment.

ALL OF YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY
CATCH YA IN THE NEXT FORUM BABY

Old 01-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Uncle Henry's been trying to save a buck in warranty repairs since the beginning of time. This is why owners of '00-'02 Lincoln LS' with moisture in the headlamps don't get new headlights anymore, they're resealed with RTV and stuck back on the car; or why people with ETC problems where the original fix was to replace the entire throttle body assembly now only get the TPS serviced; or why Lincoln LS and Aviator owners don't get the steering gear replaced (normally) if they got a squeaking in the steering column, the old fluid is flushed out and replaced with Mercon transmission fluid with a little rear end friction modifier mixed in; or why Navigator, Expedition, and F150 owners with sunroofs don't normally get the entire sunroof assembly replaced anymore, they're now serviced in pieces; or why '03+ Navigator and Expedition owners don't get the entire seat track anymore if a power motor stalls, just the individual motor is replaced...get the drift? Ford publishes these things called "warranty action notices" every now and then, which basically outline ways to help Ford save a buck by short changing a repair or fixing only the faulty part and nothing else.

And no manufacturer can void any part of your warranty without proving beyond the shadow of a doubt that what you did caused the failure in question.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:10 PM
I was told by a "service manager" that a guy put a turbo or chip or something for his diesel motor......when he took it in for some engine trouble, they sent the motor out to be inspected. Come to find out he had to come up with 22k, out of his pocket to get it fixed.

I just dont want anyone to get taken by the dealership. All of us enjoy customizing our trucks.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:48 AM
According to Mike Troyer, and several members on here it can not be saved into the PCM that you have had a tuner on it on these new trucks. You have to make sure that you reset to stock tune, and reset the battery. This erases all data with the tuner on, and leaves no remnants of it being there, just call Mike Troyer, he will explain it to you. Some people try to scare you by saying they can tell if it has had a tuner, but you can't. A chip on the other hand can on some older trucks and cars be recognized if it has been there, but I don't know about those, never had a chip, just the tuner.

As for the warranty work, there is a Moss Magnason (spelling) Act or something to that liking that is a law that says the dealer has to do the repair work unless it can be proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that the aftermarket part was the cause. The dealer is still required to do the warranty work unless they can prove it. They cannot just refuse you, as you can use the MM Act against them.

I think it is definately a scam to scare us all from putting aftermarket products on our trucks, but is has not stopped me, muhaahaha!

Old 01-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replies

I was un-aware of this act. It does seem like these "car manufactures" are getting greedier by the moment
Casey

Old 01-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Service department info about mods and there effect on warranty is not necessarily accurate. I don’t think they intentionally try to mislead you but some of the information offered is bogus. They go on hearsay and pass that along as fact. Although I do agree some mods cause warranty problems (nitrous, supercharger, etc.) and do void one particular incident of warranty work but that doesn’t void the entire warranty.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CaseyKM28
I was told by a "service manager" that a guy put a turbo or chip or something for his diesel motor......when he took it in for some engine trouble, they sent the motor out to be inspected. Come to find out he had to come up with 22k, out of his pocket to get it fixed.
I had a service guy tell me the exact same thing.

Trending Topics

Old 01-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by CaseyKM28

I just dont want anyone to get taken by the dealership. All of us enjoy customizing our trucks.
22k for a motor (even a diesel)? I think there was a bit of exaggeration going on there.

I do agree though that once you start modifying the vehicle you are responsible for problems caused by the modifications. It would be unfair to burden the manufacturer with warrantee work on things the customer broke**.

It would have to be shown that the modification caused the problem though of course. For every person who performs modifications to their vehicle properly there are 10 morons who don't.

Last edited by Bancho; 01-28-2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:50 AM
I second that thought.

And there is no way in heck that a diesel motor with installation would cost 22k.

That is just nuts.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Taking the Ford Motor Company side of this issue just for a minute, let's look a bit closer. Let's say FMC designs a transmission to safely handle 400 ft. lbs. of torque - probably because the engine puts out 300 ft. lbs. of torque. (It's called a safety factor.) Now let's say somebody modifies (by whatever means) that motor to put out 600 ft. lbs. of torque - and blows the transmission up. (No surprise here since it was never designed to handle that much power.) Now let's say that same person "un-modifies" that motor so they can claim it as a warranty problem. Who's in the wrong here?

Old 01-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Re: Aftermarket items BE AWARE

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CaseyKM28
[B]Hello Everyone

Just for FYI.....All of you 04-05 Truck owners need to check with your local dealer before adding aftermarket items. Check with the service managers. Rumors have it that if a problem with your truck can be related to an aftermarket item, it WILL NOT be covered under warranty. At least this is what my dealership mentioned.

If I remember right that is correct. If your aftermarket item can be related to the problem then they can deny you the warranty for that particular service.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:21 PM
3208 cat motor in a crate with out turbos 42000 dollars

v-8 Volvo 325 hp v8 49000 dollars

I am sure that the 6.0 or 7.3 are a bit cheaper!

Old 01-28-2005, 12:25 PM
As I posted before I installed a leveling kit and wheels tires! Got the same bs that the aftermarket parts are causing the problem.
I informed the dealer that because of the tsb stating that all trise need a 15# on the roadforce balancer and need indexing that this "married" me to ford after the warranty is up. No one told me this when I pruchased the truck.....I told them fix it or buy it back.....They now will take it in and try and work out my problems...If they don'y I will seek a buy back!

Old 01-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by hovbuild
3208 cat motor in a crate with out turbos 42000 dollars

v-8 Volvo 325 hp v8 49000 dollars

I am sure that the 6.0 or 7.3 are a bit cheaper!

I do belive a new 7.3 from Ford will set you back around $12000-15000 and a 6.0 $16000-$20000. So I would say 22000 would be close after labor. New 7.3 short block $7600. that's just a short block! High dollar toy's !

Then put 12000 in a 7.3 in mods only and go have fun! What's 20,000 ? Some folks it's a drop in the hat! I tried to play with them put I couldn't hang. So I had to come back under the porch! LOL

Old 01-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Lightbulb Magnuson-Moss Warranty act

Like Robot said before, the Magnuson-Moss warranty act basically states that if the aftermarket part caused the problem, then your dealer can deny the warranty repair. Or, put differently, your lift kit can't void your warranty on the EFI unit if you had a problem. This problem has come up a lot for owners of some of the hot-rod imports and the dealers failing to honor the warranty for nearly any modification. So, basically, YES, BEWARE when you install aftermarket performance oriented parts, but don't worry about it voiding your entire warranty! I found some good information about this on SEMA's website and also Granatelli Motorsports' website.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket items BE AWARE