2004 - 2008 F-150

Aftermarket air filters=no warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think most aftermarket manufactures would take a similar stand.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RamSS/T
The first response was TAKE IT OUT BEFORE YOU CARRY IN FOR A WARRANTY REPAIR. After reading all the other back and forth crap I think the first post hit the nail on the head....take the damn thing out and replace it with the stock unit and it wont matter what the Moss Act says or what your owners manual says or whatever. Remember the K.I.S.S. rule.....KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.
Do you really think that ANY tech worth his salt isn't going to be able to tell that something failed because of an aftermarket part? If the mass air sensor goes bad because of over oiling, do you think the technician can't tell that's what happened, even if you put the stock setup back in? At that point it comes down to how serious that dealership is about honouring Ford's guidelines for what voids a warranty.

Do you think my truck would be the first one they've seen this happen to? Of course not! It's no different if I do a few brake stands and end up damaging the rotors. The technician will know by looking at it that it was abuse that caused the damage, not a factory defect.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:52 PM
I had a nice little chat with the service manager at my dealership yesterday. His position was that as long as I only added mods ahead of the MAS and after the sensor in the catalytic convertor, I would be good to go warranty-wise. (He also reiterated the Ford position of if I installed a different program, they would be able to tell that it had been done and warranty would be voided - like most of you, I'm not sure I believe this, either...)

From my experience and based upon what I am reading here (as well as in other forums), I am inclined to believe that the dealer is the ultimate authority and is the "eyes and ears", if you will, of Ford Motor. It would seem that, if the corporate level is not willing to back up the dealer's findings, they have bigger problems than we do... The bottom line appears to be that you should not do the crime (mods) if you cannot afford the time (voided warranty).

On an aside, I will be taking my SCrew back in for warranty work as soon as the rear end clutch pack they ordered for my vibration problem gets in.

Happy trails! This site still ROCKS!!!!

Old 03-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Warranty coverage on a lot of things is at the discretion of the dealer. Some dealers are stingy on warrantied items because their repairs per vehicle is high in that area, risking an audit from Ford. An audit at the dealership level is the equalvalent of a root canal and a rectal examination at the same time.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:33 AM
here a SEMA link on the law for such things.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

Old 03-13-2005, 02:09 AM
I'm getting a headache from all this back and forth bitchin!

Okay so you haven't gotten a straight answer Tbird, but is there ever such a thing as a straight answer? In life, at work, school, and everywhere else, you use the information you're given, put your own research and thoughts into it, and make what you need out of it. Don't expect others to do the work for you.

PS It's called thinking.

(I'll make sure not to check "Email Notification" LOL.)

Old 03-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by LeanNCut
I'm getting a headache from all this back and forth bitchin!

Okay so you haven't gotten a straight answer Tbird, but is there ever such a thing as a straight answer? In life, at work, school, and everywhere else, you use the information you're given, put your own research and thoughts into it, and make what you need out of it. Don't expect others to do the work for you.

PS It's called thinking.

(I'll make sure not to check "Email Notification" LOL.)
This thread died a long time ago. Your about 6 weeks late with your response. Thanks anyway though!

Old 03-13-2005, 03:51 PM
I agree with some of you. Bottom line, if i am going to mod my truck, with the exception of exhaust, i am going to attempt to return the truck back to factory engineering when i go in for warranty. Dealers too often say one thing and do another, you can't trust them. In my mind, if you are stressed out about your warranty, DONT MOD, or put your stock parts back on.

RamSST, you nailed it bro. Good motto, "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID"

Quick Reply: Aftermarket air filters=no warranty?