2004 - 2008 F-150

Manik Brush guard

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any of you guys with the grille guards have any trouble opening your hood??

I read in a different post that people cannot open there hood without removing there guards, and that some guards tild forward to give access to the engine.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2005, 12:31 PM
i dont have any problems, if it is installed right then i dont think you should ever have any trouble

Old 01-25-2005, 04:09 PM
...that some guards tild forward to give access to the engine.
The Manik has two releases (just like on a bicycle wheel) which allow the grille to tilt forward a few inches ... allowing the hood to open. I actually like it this way ... makes the grille hug the front end of the truck. You can see the release in this picture:

http://gordonmerrill.110mb.com/truck...ik_750x617.jpg

On a random note, a mechanic at the dealership apparently didn't realize these releases were there when he went to change my oil. He took off one of the main hex bolts and nuts. I saw it about 15 minutes after leaving the dealership and turned around. He denied it (of course), so the shop put in a temporary (non stock) bolt/nut. I emailed Manik and told them my sob story and asked if they could sample me one replacement set. I got two (2) sets in the mail today (gratis).

Last edited by GordoPanocho; 03-01-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:06 PM

Westin Sportsman 1-Piece

Old 01-26-2005, 07:41 AM
Thumbs up Looks good FX4scab

Looking good fx4scab! I think I like the Westin the best too. The Westin says it is shipped in pieces (modules or something). Is it really SOLID when you put it together??

I don't like the angles by the headlights on the Waag and I definitely don't want to lose tow-hooks with Manik.

I have seen an FX4 near work a few mornings that has a grill guard that looks good from a distance. Need to catch him in a parking lot to see it up close and figure out the brand.

Decisions...decisions...

Edit: Just noticed the date on the pic...guess that isn't your truck. I thought you pulled the trigger and bought your grill guard...

Last edited by wattman1; 01-26-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Yeah wattman...that's blacklariatfx4's. He had a pic of the hood raised, so I thought I would post in reply to a post further up showing the hood open on this guard.

There are about 5 different styles with Westin and the Sportsman 1-Piece is I believe welded throughout the entire guard (hence the name 1-piece). Someone correct me if i'm wrong. I believe the other styles are sold as modular assembly. Not sure on the shipping. The 1-piece might come freight delivered or something. I was just planning on getting mine from a local dealer unless I can get a far superior deal through the mail or net. I was quoted $379 and $100 for the install. Seems like it would be cake to install with another person though. I'm sure there's just a few bolts under the frame.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:36 PM
I tought so.. didnt think they would design a grille guard that kept you from openig your hood!..lol

Had one on my 99 and it was not a problem.

Love the Weston...From what i understand, the sportsman one piece, and the CPS are essentualy the same when they are put on, but the CPS was designed to ease shipping, were as the one piece cost a bit more to ship because of it's size.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Manik Brush guard