2004 - 2008 F-150

Manik Brush guard

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiming in late

Originally posted by HHIFX4
BlackLariat: do you have any side pics of the brush guard?? it might just be the pic but does it pitch forward at all??

Wattman: do you think the black rust also?? or is it just the chrome
HHIFX4,

Sorry for the late reply - I was out of town. The guy that said the Manik rusted had the black one. I don't know which one would rust faster/more...

Looks like you made your decision. I don't think I'll ever add a winch, so the Warn Trans4mer you bought is not in the running for me. Looks like a solid set-up though.

This thread helped me narrow down my search. The Manik is out (losing the tow-hooks), so I am between the Westin and the GSP now, unless I can find pics of the Wagg. I don't really like the Ranchhand on the F150, but if I had an F250/350, that's the one I think I would buy.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Hey wattman...here's the Westin on the 04. Personally, I think it's got the best looking curves...plus you keep the tow hooks. I think i'm getting this one.

Hope blacklariat doesn't mind that I posted his pic.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Thumbs up

FX4scab,

Thanks for posting the pic of blacklariatfx4's Westin. It is nice looking and is definitely one of my front-runners.

I am wondering about the finish, fit and sturdiness of some of the black grill guards.

One of the complaints I read about the Manik was that it flexed if you tried to rock the truck with it. I am looking for a good, solid, reliable fit on a guard that doesn't rust and that doesn't cover the entire front of the truck. I also hope to get some protection from a run-in with deer and other critters that like to commit "suicide by F150." Several of my friends and a bunch of guys on here have hit deer with their trucks and I figure the grill guard is less than one deductible.

Still looking. Post some pics if you get one and I'll do the same.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:00 PM
From what I've researched on these, Westin's Sportsman 1-Piece (which I think that is what blacklariat has) is all welded together without being modular like some others... where they are bolted together in seperate pieces. I would think this would make it rattle proof... where the modular types will loosen over time.
It's not rust proof though. I think they carry a 5-year warranty on the black powder. I don't think your gonna find any painted metal produckts with a lifetime warranty against rust. I think the only way to get rust proof is to go with stainless. It's all going to depend on how exposed your truck is to the elements over time.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:35 PM
(Triple Post) Sorry...See Below...

Last edited by YellowFX4SCrew; 01-23-2005 at 10:40 PM.
See Below...

Last edited by YellowFX4SCrew; 01-23-2005 at 10:39 PM.
I love my Manik! I agree with FX4scab. This belongs on this truck. It hugs it and goes with it.

Last edited by YellowFX4SCrew; 01-23-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Sorry...I was talking about the Westin. Don't get me wrong though. I think the Manik looks good also. I just think the Westin has a stealthier look to it. Plus access to the tow hooks. They look very similar though.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:59 AM
fx4scab,

Thanks for posting a picture of my truck. Damn, I miss it..and my wife too.

To answer a few questions I've seen pop up, as you can see I live in Florida and haven't noticed any rust on it for the 6 mos I was home with it. It was installed at purchase in Mar 04 and I left 9/04. I haven't been home since Ivan but my wife said it's fine and there are now scratches whatsoever on the truck or specifically on the guard.

Durability: It is one piece and very solid, I haven't hit any deer with it, but it did blow-up a dove that flew in front of me while I was traveling 70 mph. It impacted with the thin pieces that protect the headlight. To my surprise, the thin pieces weren't even bent at all. That probably saved me a few hundred dollars and justified the cost which was $400 installed.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:18 AM
No problem blacklariat! I just thought yours looked so good that I had to post it. As you can see, we both have pretty much the same truck. I've been pondering that Westin brush guard for a long time now, and looking at different styles. I think seeing your pics solidified my decision a little more since your truck is the same color as mine. The Westin looks very clean and tight fitting. The black looks good with the silver.

Just wondering...do you notice any change in wind noise or rattles with that guard at higher speeds, or is it pretty tight?
I'm very close to getting one and was just curious.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:24 AM
Here's some other options from Waag that I found.

This bumper guard looks pretty clean looking I think.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:44 AM
fx4scab,

Actually I don't notice any additional wind noise and definatlely know rattles. I'm a very **** person and a rattle would drive me up the wall....still have to get the one from the steering column resolved but that's another issue and I think I've found the possible solution in some back posts.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Westin product and plan on adding the 8" Pro Comps when I get home. I believe Tx Fx4 is running those on his GSP guard. I too really like the black on silver paint scheme.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks! That's what I needed to hear. Post some pics when you get your 8" Pro Comps. Or I can help if you have trouble.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Yup, those are ProComp lights.
I debated about puting 8 inchers on there, but got a smoke'n deal at the 4 Wheel Parts show so I went with 'em.
They work atleast as well as the KC Highliters I've had before.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:04 PM
this picture really suck but you kind of will get the idea. this was just installed this morning and so far i love it.

Quick Reply: Manik Brush guard