2004 - 2008 F-150

Question about Gold Alarm / Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Gold Alarm / Remote Start

When it's really cold outside (this morning it was 3 degrees) and I use my remote start to warm up the truck, about 1 second after the truck starts up, the alarm starts sounding off, and the horn honks, and I have to shut it down. When I disarm, I get four honks. It only does this when it's really cold outside (you know, the days I bought the remote start for) The Ford Powercode Troubleshooting Guide says that the tach signal needs reprogramed. But it only does this when it's really cold. Does anyone have any ideas? I know some of the guys here install them for Ford.

Thanks in advance,
mikebaby (frozen in Ohio)

Old 01-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Mine just did this for the first time yesterday also. Temp was -15f outside, truck had been sitting out all night. Started it up and alarm went off like yours did after a second or so of running.My wife said she had heard the alarm warning (the short horn honk) go off a few times during the night. I wonder if the sensitivity of the arlarm is effected by being that cold, then its a bug in the alarm that makes it go off when you try to start it. I am going to reprogram mine to turn the sensitivity down on it to see if that helps.

Old 01-17-2005, 05:31 PM
bump

Old 01-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has happened to me. It needs reprogrammed to bypass the tach signal ( Or something like that. ) I think it's either in your alarm manual or your dealer can do it.

Old 01-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Just got mine installed yesterday.

It took the dealer 3 times to get the correct system installed, I was the first person ever to specify a ford gold alarm/remote starter . . . this is at a BIG dealer too.

With the alarm set, I hold down the blue key for 2 seconds, the truck tries to start, takes a few tries, then it starts up. A few seconds later, the alarm goes off. It does this every time, its in the 70°F's today, so temperature should matter.

What do I tell the dealer to do, to fix this? They didn't install it, they sub it all out.

Did they not wire the tach wire up maybe?

Old 01-22-2005, 07:04 AM
I too have the gold system installed and after a year of them trying things with it I have it fixed. Mine would only alarm after trying to start at -13celcius or colder. It would try to turn over about 4 times then go to alarm. Only on the first start of the day. Dealer installer worked with Ford and found the solution. First the truck needs to have the latest PCM reflash. Then it has to learn the tach signal curve (or something like that) during warm up. This all should be done in very cold conditions. On my truck during all this they found the starter drawing too much current and replaced it. There was a batch of starters that had water in them I guess, and when they freeze they cause havoc. I know it all seem strange, but they had it for 4 days in - 22 celcius temps and it is fixed finally. Tell your dealer to call Ford Hot Line tech support because they have the fix.
PS While I was there I also found out how to tie in a hard tonneau cover to our alarm systems by getting a particular plunger switch from a late model Winstar at the scrap yard.

Now my neighbours might start talking to me again after several early morning awakenings.

Old 02-22-2005, 02:01 AM
This week will be my 5th trip to the dealer . . . hopefully one day they will get it right.

Its not that cold either, its in the 60s.

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2005, 08:36 AM
Please keep us posted as to the solution.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:47 PM
I found out why my gold alarm is going off after the 15 min. runtime when the truck shuts off. It seems that when the 15 min. is up, the truck will rearm the alarm a few seconds later, however since the doors were never opened, the radio is still playing. So my subwoofers are then setting the alarm off, since they are making a pounding noise inside the cab. HAHAHAHA, It took me a few times to fiqure that one out. Quess I need to make sure the radio is turned down from now on.

Quick Reply: Question about Gold Alarm / Remote Start