2004 - 2008 F-150

Satellite Radio Installation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Satellite Radio Installation Thread

I've searched for about 30 mins total today for a thread that I recall seeing here about a month or two ago...

This thread showed a great 'how-to' on removing the stock stereo, all the plastic surrounding it and the center shifter, and some of the wiring...

Can someone, anyone, help me find this thread? As I recall, it had some awesome information. I'm going to be taking a stab at a modulator install for my MyFi tomorrow...

Thanks guys...

-RP-

Old 01-15-2005, 12:00 AM
Moderator &

Was it THIS THREAD that had all of the exploded views of the dash, center console and such?

For some reason, I'm thinking the thread that I'm hunting for actually had directions on removing individual panels like the center bezel around the radio and also the plastic cover around the center console (among other parts).

Help!

RP

Old 01-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Moderator &

After about an hour of looking... I finally found it...

Radio Removal and XM install

Special thanks to member ScottFcasni for this EXCELLENT write-up!

RP

Old 01-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha looks like you found it yourself.

That thread helped me out when I installed mine.

Old 01-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by 04 RED LARIAT
Haha looks like you found it yourself.

That thread helped me out when I installed mine.
Yep. I found it. Imagine searching using the words 'Radio' and 'Removal'. Brilliant! LOL... I'm such a bonehead.

Definately an awesome thread that he put together there. He definately sunk some serious time into putting those photos together....

RP

Old 01-15-2005, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockpick,

Where are you mounting your MyFi?

What bracket will you use?

Will you be using the cassette adaptor or the FM modulator?

Not to be nosy, but I'll be taking out my SkyFi and installing the MyFi tomorrow as well.

Old 01-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by DAThomas9
Rockpick,

Where are you mounting your MyFi?

What bracket will you use?

Will you be using the cassette adaptor or the FM modulator?

Not to be nosy, but I'll be taking out my SkyFi and installing the MyFi tomorrow as well.
Man, I wish I knew.

I'm incredibly hesitant to go with the sticky mount that is supplied with the MyFi. Further, I'm going to have to use the add-on modulator unit that the MyFi literature describes as all of the FM stations that are available for broadcast on the unit are in 'strong' use in my market. Go figure.

I did find the modulator unit at Best Buy for $30 so, no biggie there.

I'm seriously considering doing some kind of custom mounting bracket but, I still don't know what I want to do. For the time being, it might stay in the cupholder where it's been since I got it (back before Christmas).

Like you, I want to make the install as clean as possible but, I think it's going to be a challenge. My goal is to have the unit up a bit higher than down around the ash tray as I hate having to look down for a song title or to switch the channels (I can't seem to learn this remote). I always feel like I'm going to rear-end someone while blundering with the MyFi. Honestly, I truely miss my in-dash XM but, I don't want to give up my steering wheel controls.

Keep an eye on THIS THREAD as CanyonSlicker is apparently doing his install this weekend as well. I'm not sure what he has up his sleeve but, I'm anxious to see.

Also, let me know what you come up with. I'm stumped at this point. I've even been surfing XM message boards to see if I could find a creative mount that looked good... so far, nothing.

RP

Trending Topics

Old 01-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Rockpick,

Check out these two sites:

www.xm411.com for the forum section on installation. I think there are a few F-150 installs on there.

www.myradiostore.com for all things XM. I used the ProFit universal mount for my SkyFi, and I plan to use it for the MyFi. The ProFit mounts are made specifically for each type of vehicle. The one for the 04-05 F-150 locates the radio on the right hand side of the console, basically at the height of the power point. You remove the console bezel, take out one screw, mount the bracket with the same screw, and re-install the bezel.

Old 01-15-2005, 01:03 AM
Moderator &

It's like you're reading my mind here DA...

I, too, am seriously considering the Pro-Fit bracket. My only worry is where my wires go.. (see other thread -- I literally just posted that before I read your post).

Where did you take your wires? How do you get them back behind the bezel without running up and down the dash?

Also, I cruised across the XM411 site and couldn't find any pictures... can you point me towards a few? Further, do you have any pictures of your old SkyFi install?

Thanks for your help!!

RP

Old 01-15-2005, 01:06 AM
Moderator &

Here's a slew of mounts...

http://www.arkon.com/satmount.html

RP

Old 01-15-2005, 01:16 AM
I had two wires coming out of the SkyFi cradle going between the dash and the bezel. I just stacked one on top of the other, and re-installed the bezel. I plugged the power into the power point, tucked the excess wire behind the bezel, and plugged it into the cradle of the SkyFi. The SkyFi cradle is pretty large compared to the MyFi, so I think I will have to be more creative with the MyFi install.

I strongly recommend the ProFit mounts. Very neat and clean.

Working on pictures of my current install...

Old 01-15-2005, 02:07 AM
RP -

You went to bed, I was out taking pictures of my XM install!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=5211

At the very least, I now have a gallery, even if it only consists of three XM radio pictures.

David

Old 01-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have pictures in my gallery (click on the link in my signature) of my SkyFi 2 installed on a pro-fit vsm mount.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Nice and clean, KC8LB!

What did you tap into for power, and how did you do it?

Old 01-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Moderator &

DA & KC...

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the pictures...

DA - Sorry I vanished. The dog was throwing a hissy and then I went to bed. Enough Friday night excitement on the boards for me. LOL!

I went out to the garage this morning and scoped out some thoughts but, I'm still worried that there's not enough room between the bezel and the other dash piece for the wires. After looking at KC's pictures, maybe there is...

I guess this is going to be an experiment... I believe the Pro-Fit mount is what I'd like to go with though. Let me know how the MyFi mounts up with that PF DA... I don't have any problem using the sticky mount there. I just hope it holds on the hot days and that I don't come back to my truck with my MyFi laying on the passenger floorboard because the sticky melted.

RP

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio Installation Thread