2004 - 2008 F-150

Am I looking for trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I looking for trouble?

I purchased a new 2004 F150 FX4 (built in June '04) regular cab flareside on December 31. So far the truck has been great and I have put on about 1000 miles with no apparent problems. Rides nice at high and low speed and no strange noises to be heard over the audiophile sound system. I'm thinking of doing a few mods but some of the horror stories on this board have me a little concerned.

Driveline shudder? Tire nibble?

I'm thinking of lowering it using a McGaughy's drop shackle (2 inch rear) or lowering kit for 4x4 (2'/4.5") and adding 20 inch rims and tires. With all the negative comments on pinion shudder and premature tire wear I'm afraid I'll be setting myself up for big trouble down the road.

Advice please.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:58 AM
take those FEW horror stories with a grain of salt. Out of the many thousands of f150s sold all over the us,canada, and overseas only a very small % have problems. Problem is you dont see threads saying how great someones truck is, only a thread when theres a problem. Mod the hell out of your truck and enjoy it.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:18 AM
You always take chances when your modding a vehicle that a
problem may occur, but that would be ( most of the time ) a
micky mouse effort to add a mod. When the mods are done right
your efforts are rewarded with an even better truck than what
you originally had ( that's the idea right ? ) IF your truck is running problem free right now then as long as you do the modding right your truck will be SWEET! .... pics pics lets see some
pics...

p.s reg.cab flaresides ROCK !!!!!!!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:20 AM
also keep in mind if you do these mods and get a shudder/vibration, your dealer WILL blame it on the mod.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by vvyk3d
take those FEW horror stories with a grain of salt. Out of the many thousands of f150s sold all over the us,canada, and overseas only a very small % have problems. Problem is you dont see threads saying how great someones truck is, only a thread when theres a problem. Mod the hell out of your truck and enjoy it.

ITS MORE THAN A FEW, MY 2ND 04 HAS THE SAME VIBE AS MY FIRST. ASK ANY OF THE LARGER FORD SERVICE DEPT. ABOUT IT.
BETTER YET TELL THEM YOUR IS VIBRATING AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY.

I WANTED TO BELIEVE IT WAS JUST A SMALL % TOO, THATS IS WHY I BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE.

I will say if it hasn't shown up in the 1st 1,000 miles your probably safe. Mine started after 250 on #2

Old 01-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Old 01-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Why would you buy an FX4 to lower it??? I don't understand why you would lower a 4X4? If any thing I could see lifting it.

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Arctic Cat F7
Why would you buy an FX4 to lower it??? I don't understand why you would lower a 4X4? If any thing I could see lifting it.
I've got to agree, lowering 4x4s is almost as sad as breast reductions, but to each his own.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:39 AM
The 2" lift for the front is the way to go.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:49 AM
well since they sold more than they every did of the 04's id say the percent was not that great with the vibe....they sold almost 1 million of those trucks...i have seen lately some people here getting their vibe problems solved also...i wouldnt worry about anything with the truck...as for lowering it im with fatman....its a 4x4....LIFT IT !!....

Old 01-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Lowering a 4x4 ?????????

I want the traction of four wheel drive when we get bad weather like we are having now (I do live in CANADA after all). I like the look of the truck lowered and I also have issues with height in my parking garage.

I did try to buy a 2 wheel drive truck but couldn't find the right one at the right deal at the end of the year and wound up getting my FX4 for the same price as I would have paid for an XLT 2wd.

Perhaps when the new Harley comes out with AWD it will be the perfect solution and meet all my needs.

Old 01-15-2005, 12:31 AM
McGauheys Drop kit

Hi,
New here. I ran across your post about the McGauheys drop kit. I have a 2004 Ext. Cab STX I got new last August, within a month I had it dropped with one of their kits. Mine is not a 4x4. I went with the 2in front and 4 inch rear drop. The 4" drop for the rear you get a new leaf spring cluster set (2) leafs instead of my (3) factory. You just take your leafs off and put theirs on, install the shock extenders to give the factory shocks their normal travel range and the rear is now 4"s lower. If you opt for the 4-1/2" you have to install a flip kit. The front is just a matter of replacing the springs.
Couple words of caution though. If you dont have a spring compressor for the front, you'll need to get one. Also the next time you look at the front mounting point of the rear leaf springs to the frame. The factory decided to put the bolts in before they mounted the gas tank. So you have to drop the gas tank, but instead just loosen the nut , knock the bolt back alittle and sawsall it off, knock it out and replace it with a new one.
I have not looked at the 4x4's though so yours may be different.
Anyway I absolutely love it. Its got a nice stance I have 20inch rims on mine and have no clearance problems. And rides supprisingly well.
McGauheys is a Sema Award winning company. There stuff is quality stuff. And you order direct from them. And you save big time. My kit was $389. Their in every Sport Truck magazine I've seen so far.
As far as the factory warranty goes. I kept all my stuff to switch back if need be.
I just finished getting my new Street Scene mirrors painted and am trying to get the damn door panels off to put them on. When I do I'll post some pics. (If I can, not sure where or how to post them yet.)
Hope that helps a little.
Dan...........also a Mustang Nut.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks, good points.

I think if I went with the full drop kit I would have a shop do it. With the need for a spring compressor I would think it's worth the extra cost to have someone else do it. On the 4x4 kit you remove the axel spacer and add a drop shackel in the back so it's mot quite as difficult as changing the springs but I did the spacer removal on my 2000 and it's still no picnic.

If I opt to do the shackel I think I can handle that myself but will get a lobor quote from a shop just to see how much they might charge.

Old 01-15-2005, 06:19 PM
For the rear you can just pull the 2" blocks and replace the u-bolts with the 4x2 ones. About $15.

Old 01-15-2005, 06:40 PM
REMEMBER THE GOLDEN RULE:
If it's a 4wd lift it....if it's a 2wd drop it!!!

Also if you do lower it you should at least go with 22s...these trucks swallow rims up and IMO 20s are way to small for them.

Quick Reply: Am I looking for trouble?