2004 - 2008 F-150

Ideas for gas mileage increase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ZMANF150
The Federal Goverment has been on the automakers butts for years to get better MPG. If you really believe an after market intake, exhaust and other gadgets makes that much of a difference, don't you think the automotive mfgs would put it in. It will also be a good selling tool for them (they can brag about better gas milage), wake up people, save your money.
The intake is restrictive partially for noise and partially for HC evaporative emissions compliance.

The exhaust is restrictive due to weight, cost and noise.

Also, the current engines run on the rich/stoich side to ensure the catalytic converter works. Having the engine run slightly lean at part loads would help MPG greatly.

If auto mfr's put in everything that would help mpg, we wouldn't be able to afford the vehicles.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Just throw one of these babies on and some Marvins Mystery oil and you are set!

http://www.tornado-fuelsaver.tv/?sou...increase%20mpg

I'm sure these things work, it says so right on their website.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
If a person were to research it a little, he might find out that the tailgate thing is false. You might THINK you're getting better mileage but you aren't.

I proved this to myself about 4 months ago when I drove to Colorado and back (4000 miles round trip). On the trip out I had the tailgate down and got 19.5 mpg in my 4.0 Ranger. On the return trip I had a couple small items in the back requiring me to close the tailgate and I got 21.5 mpg driving the same highways at the same speed. This wasn't a 200 mile, 1/2 tank check. This was averaged over 6-7 tanks each way.

I agree with the tonneau cover though. They do help.
Yeah, but wasn't downhill on the way back?

Old 02-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Blitz...thanks a million for the tip. I'm ordering the 'tornado' today.
I'm also going to start using the big-bucks SUPER PREMIUM fuel and add a can of OCTANE BOOSTER with every tank! A buddy told me it works for his cousin Jim Bob.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Want to increase your MPG? Here's a 2-Step program:

1. Change your driving habits. First off the line simply means first at the pump. Take your foot off the gas when a light goes yellow, coast in trying to avoid coming to a complete stop. Accellerate smoothly away from a stop, and find top gear ASAP.

2. Lower your speed. One thing you can't change is the C/D (Coefficient of Drag) of the vehicle, and the HP required to overcome aerodynamic drag. Simply lowering your speed will provide the single largest improvement.

Someone recommended a block of wood under the pedal, not a bad idea for MPG.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Adding mods only makes the foot heavier. True, maybe you save gas if you drove it the same way as you were breaking it in....granny style, but when the mods come on...trouble.

Intake - you hear it breath better, sounds good, press the gas to get a taste of the HP you added...trouble. The funny thing is, you do it so often, that you dont even know that the driving habits changed.

Exhaust - So you get it to supplement the intake...sounds good, wanna give trucks next to you a taste of Triton V8...trouble.

I think someone posted something similar to this on another thread and when I thought about it, its all true. Things we get to save gas makes us drive faster because its usually a performance less restrictive mod(s).

Old 02-12-2005, 10:02 PM
I agree, driving habits are the #1 way to save petro.

I agree, wind drag is a real problem, thats why Ford spend all that time in the tunnel. Dont quote me on this, but as speed doubles, drag quadroples.

12000 miles/yr Div by 17.5 mpg = 615 gal

12000 miles/yr Div by 19.5 mpg = 685 gal

Difference of 70 gal X $2.00/gal = 140 Dollars extra /yr

Thats a little difference in speed but alot of difference in green.

Maybe slowing down from 75 to 68. Does anyone agree ?

Old 02-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Saving gas is easy. Just plan your route so that you're going downhill both coming and going...

Quick Reply: Ideas for gas mileage increase?