2004 - 2008 F-150

G.A.P. Grille Accent Piece Installed - With Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Material Composition

Originally posted by MrPhish
RockPick - Does the info that came with the insert say what material it is made of? I am looking at installing this peice in my truck also, but am looking to paint the insert Arizona Beige to match my trim color. Some paint will "melt" acrylic type plastics so I am interested in the material composition.

Also I am thinking about removing and painting the entire plastic insert that already is mounted and forms "the hole". It looks like this piece is held in with those pesty push to lock fasteners so I will need to purchase several new ones in case I break some of the existing ones during removal. Since you have already installed this new insert, any helpful insight will be appreciated.
It doesn’t say anywhere on the packaging what it’s made of, it just says crafted from lightweight, durable, impact-resistant plastic. Give them a call and ask but I would think it’s paintable.
1-800-407-8937 or 1-812-481-1300

Last edited by jpdadeo; 01-10-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jperea
You can stick your foot in there and use it as a step to reach the engine compartment.
THAT'S IT!! ONE OF THE UNIVERSE'S GREAT MYSTERIES SOLVED!! BEST EXPLANATION I'VE HEARD! CHEERS!

btw, i ruined my step too with the same insert..... looks nice, but now i'll think about that missing 'step' every time i open the hood! maybe cut out a foot-sized hole in the grille gap piece????????!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ostuni; 01-11-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tell ya Ostuni...

I'm lost without that step now. I can't figure out how in the world to get into the engine compartment.

I, too, am thinking about cutting out a foothole in my GAP piece so that I can reassure myself that I can, indeed, get in the engine compartment and, even more specifically, touch the back of the firewall on the bottom nearest the ground by going through the engine compartment...

We all know that touching the back of the firewall nearest the ground by accessing it through the engine compartment is important. This GAP thing is totally in the way of me accomplishing this...

LOL!!!!!

RP

Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
I tell ya Ostuni...

I'm lost without that step now. I can't figure out how in the world to get into the engine compartment.

I, too, am thinking about cutting out a foothole in my GAP piece so that I can reassure myself that I can, indeed, get in the engine compartment and, even more specifically, touch the back of the firewall on the bottom nearest the ground by going through the engine compartment...

We all know that touching the back of the firewall nearest the ground by accessing it through the engine compartment is important. This GAP thing is totally in the way of me accomplishing this...

LOL!!!!!

RP
those ford engineers thought of EVERYTHING!

changed my mind about cutting a hole in the gap grille. that plastic cost more per ounce than gold, so it would be a terrible waste... think instead i'll cut a section out of an aluminum ladder and bolt it to the front bumper.....

Last edited by Ostuni; 01-12-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
I'm lost without that step now. I can't figure out how in the world to get into the engine compartment. RP
Dude, you own a KR!

You should be able to levitate around the engine compartment just on the aura that thing puts off !!!

Old 01-11-2005, 10:47 PM
That's pretty sweet! 'Nanners for RP..

Old 01-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Moderator &

Definately. They thought of EVERYTHING!

Levitation is now an option. I didn't spring for it.

RP

Old 01-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Good news guys!! If you order one of these "GAP"s, some come optional with this thing. However, you have to go to home depot and spend $39. HA HA LOL

Old 01-12-2005, 01:17 PM
I got mine about 3 days ago and installed it in 30 seconds. Subtle nice upgrade. Got mine from Ebay - same price Im sure though. When it got to my place, the seller is apparently a Ford dealer??? I had a receipt from a Ford Dealer.

Old 01-12-2005, 01:55 PM
That looks awesome i'm gonna get myself one of those for sure. ( ya i am )

Old 01-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Bit the bullet and spent the $60 to get it. Ordered it today, and hope to have it next week.

Been complaining about that hole since I bought the truck last Feb, today at lunch my wife says, stop complaining about it, and just order the @#% thing!

Maybe I should of been complaining that I need an in-dash DVD/NAV system!

Old 02-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Moderator &

I snagged a couple more pictures today and thought I'd update this thread with them...

RP

Old 02-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by jperea
Looks great. As with the lower billet grille I have, you lose that step that is in there. There was a thread a while back asking what that opening was for. There is a step in there so that you can reach up into the engine compartment. I like it though! JP
Open your hood and look at how things are set up. The plastic that is in there directs air from that opening through the tranny cooler.

I dont know about no step but watch your foot does not take out the cooler.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:35 AM
Here's another.......

GAP installed

Old 02-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: G.A.P. Grille Accent Piece Installed - With Pics